“Good experience left hungry!”
Review of Holbeck Ghyll

Holbeck Ghyll
Ranked #28 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and myself treated ourself to lunch, all very nice, service made the meal, food good, have had better at none Michelin star resteraunts. Portion sizes too small, will I go again, only if I win the lottery and buy one of the super cars that was parked in the grounds.

2  Thank stately
There are newer reviews for Holbeck Ghyll

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had been looking forward to this for a while having been to another Michelin star restaurant previously. Perhaps my expectations were too high. It started well with drinks and canapés in the lounge, although I expected something more exciting than marinaded olives and breadsticks. My starter of duck terrine was nice but didn't blow me away. The venison main was lovely and perfectly cooked, and the cheeses for desert were a great selection. The reason I have not scored so highly is because the service was not what I would expect from a Michelin restaurant. We had to ask a few times for drinks to be filled up and they did not have the same expertise or knowledge as the other restaurant I visited with a star. It was good and worth a visit but I was underwhelmed.

1  Thank Drew M
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Went on Saturday for lunch to Holbeck Ghyll, hadn't booked but called on chance as had driven to Lakes for day, was beautiful sunny day and the setting is magnificent. Had a drink and canapés in lounge with real fire, into dinning room which was not too busy, small cup of soup was extremely tasty. I then had scallops which were so tasty and melted in m mouth (mind you for £20 they should do!), nicest scallops since had at Sharrow Bay few years back, mum had langoustines very tasty and Richard ham hock. Main course was very tasty duck, vegetables and gravy was fantastic. Had date pudding, the whole presentation and service was so good, long time since had enjoyed such a nice lunch out, about 4/5 years since last went, but hope to be back again before another 4 years !

2  Thank Stephen58
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked the Holbeck Ghyll for my wife's birthday, it was a special birthday as it was her first since becoming a mother. I am happy to say that our experience lived up to my expectations.

The food was delicious and in a different league to any other restaurant I have been to in the area. The amuse bouche was pure truffle heaven, a suitable prelude to an outstanding meal.

The was also a good selection of wines which were not prohibitively expensive.

Would recommend to anybody who appreciates fine food and wine.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Probably one of my favourite places in the World. Great service, great food, great views, and with a family feel.