“lovely afternoon tea on the terrace”
Review of Holbeck Ghyll

Holbeck Ghyll
Ranked #28 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2011

went for pm tea on the terrace on a divine day. the sun was shining & the views were magnificent. the pm tea was delicious & plentiful & accompanied with a glass of sparkling. lots of delicious cakes & pastries & good value too. what a great way to spend the arvo. the staff were v professional & attentive. lovely gardens & u can walk down to the shores of lake winderemere.

HGB1, Front Office Manager at Holbeck Ghyll, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear ozgirlken,
Thank you for your lovely comments!
We have recently improved our offerings of afternoon tea, so it is great to read that you enjoyed your afternoon treat with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe to enjoy tea by a nice cosy firse in the winter looking out to the snow covered tops.
Best wishes,
Caroline

There are newer reviews for Holbeck Ghyll

Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife and I took advantage of the two-course lunch offer at Holbeck Ghyll after seeing the restaurant featured on 'The Trip'. I imagine their bookings went through the roof after this show was aired!
I can't praise this restaurant highly enough. The staff, the atmosphere, the food...it was all top notch.
All in all, we spent around 2 hours leisurely eating and enjoying the amazing views.
Massively recommended and we will be visiting again the next time we are in that area of the Lake District.

Dear Andythekn,
Thank you for taking the time to review your lunch with us.
‘The Trip’ was a great success and has given us great publicity.
I am pleased you enjoyed your lunch and we look forward to welcoming you back in the Autumn,
With kind regards,
Caroline

Reviewed August 23, 2011

That's what I was told when I expressed my views of our dining experience to the maitre d' . What did I say to offend him, after all it was he who asked if dinner had been alright? I answered (politely I felt) what we thought was incompatible with the Michelin star so proudly advertised by HG:
1 The menu listed horseradish gnocchi as one of the accompaniments. None were to be found on the plate. (We got some as a side order after pointing out the omission)
2 The filet of beef rested on a substantial dollop of spinach (urghhhh...) although the menu made no mention of it.
3 The wine list is ample and deserves better than to be presented correctly and not placed at my feet.
The person fielding my comments had put it there (out of lack of space he explained). At this point he became upset and exclaimed "we are what we are", spun away from me no doubt to attend to matters more important than my less than wholly complimentary views of his work.
My advice: visit HG for the spectacular views over the fells and lake and dine here if you wish to be taken back to the romance of the 80's. In those days no doubt we would have rated this meal and service highly. If on the other hand you want 21st century one star cuisine (and you can travel a bit further) try Martin Wishart in Edinburgh. The prices are comparable, the food and service incomparably better.

1  Thank MelvinB43
HGB1, Manager at Holbeck Ghyll, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear MelvinB43
Thank you for your comments – we must try harder to reach people's expectations.
Kind Regards,
Andrew

Reviewed August 15, 2011

If you love food, then this is Food Heaven! It was a wet Thursday (11the Aug) that I made the trip to the Holbeck Ghyll (HG) with its amazing views of the lake and I have to say I was somewhat worried. I was worried that I would be like a fish out of water, but I had no issues as the staff were staggeringly excellent. From entering the main door I was directed to choose from one of the two dinning rooms which were stylish and suave. (Aim for a window seat on the right hand room, as its best, as I tried both rooms.) I wanted a quick champers but missed it on a small drinks menu. I was still feeling conscious about my small bank account as a stockbroker called Tim-Giles-Somerthey moaned about his Pink paper being full of bad news. I started to chill when the attentive and discreet female waitress arrived to start an amazing evening. The appetisers were smaller than atoms but tastier than should be allowed by a chef. I was then whisked off for a seat in another room of the house for the main meal, and had taken the taken the mantle and ordered £15 glass of the champers. The Cristal bubbly listing on the larger wine list was perhaps a sign that WAG's and soap peps use the HG? You will see HG embossed on many parts of the main crisp decor of the main restaurant. My Salmon with the champers confirmed this was going to be special. Then my Lamb arrived in no time, which was good as I had been thinking about it all day. It was a million times better than I could have imagined. The Wine was OK, as i don't have millions...but if you do have millions then you could not find a better place. If I had to pick faults,..... the price has risen from my "Good Food Book Guide" which is not unusual, and the Gourmet option was sold out. (I was sad again) And then I have to talk about the big issue.The atmosphere was a bit "professional" when compared to Wednesday nights location, the ridiculous brilliant Gilpin Lodge. To explain this, let me revert to my analogy bag. Think of Gilpin Lodge as the Phantom of the Opera, fun, creative and sparkling and memorable, whereas Holbeck was just an Opera. I did spark up some conversations with the waiters about Steve Coogan's recent "Road Trip" but my excitement was lost bit with the controlled atmosphere. (The rooms are great, but 3 nights in the week will remove you of circa £800! So I used a local B&B.) If your Pink paper has good news, then maybe you can try these rooms, as I hear they are like the food, ie amazing. In summary then, amazing place and I will return In ocotober for lunch and many many times but its missing that spark!

6  Thank Belmes34
HGB1, General Manager at Holbeck Ghyll, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear Belmes34,
Thank you for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back! When you do re-book please do let us know who you; ie that you posted such a super review.
kind regards,
Andrew

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Holbeck Ghyll is in a great location with amazing views of the surrounding landscape and of course lake windermere. The service is excellent from the moment you arrive. We chose the taster menu with the wine and it was wonderful. I loved the whole experience and would highly reccomend it.

2  Thank KGoepel