“Second Home”
Review of The Ravensworth

The Ravensworth
Ranked #23 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was my first experience travelling on my own (not working, not studying, just travelling). I was really stressed out from work and was looking for comfort and peace when I booked a room at the Ravensworth. And it never betrayed my expectations! The moment I arrived in the morning from an overnight trip from Russia to London, and then to Windermere Cheryl met me, showed me around and made me some toasts with scrambled eggs which turned out to be the BEST toasts I've ever eaten. What's your secret?
There were some issues with my visa, so the originally booked single room was already occupied, but they offered me a double room for the same price. My friend came a few nights later, and we fell in love with the guest house and its staff so much, we decided to cancel our stay in Kendal but the room was already booked, so they had to move us to the King-size room, but for the price of usual double stay!
The day arrived Cheryl also gave me a map and showed me all the places and shops I could possibly have interest in, as well as she and Nick booked two Mountain Goat tours for us.
Breakfast was spectacular: always fresh fruits and berries, as well as a great variety of traditional breakfasts. My friend also said your toasts were delicious! As well as the scrambled egg, not to mention grilled bacon, muffin+scrambled egg+smoked salmon... Mmmm,...
The house itself is really very cozy, all rooms are rather spacious, neat and nice. I saw some people wrote about a noisy road, but I've never noticed that really, even though we did open the window a lot.
The living room was also very nice, with lots of board games, they also had a wide variety of movies to watch.
The location is perfect, it's like, about 5 minutes away from the train and bus stations, you won't get lost! A perfect starting point to explore the Lake District!
Nick and Cheryl themselves are a very very nice and friendly couple. It's a pity we didn't see much of the youngest one though :) The other staff were also really nice too and made our time at the Ravensworth a real treat! Everyone's always so full of energy and optimistic, it motivated me as well. It made me think that it's nice to be able to run a guest house like that, I'd love to do the same thing if I could (maybe I'll have an opportunity in future, who knows).
Thank you very very much for your warm welcome and for everything the Ravensworth offered during our stay. Me and my friend loved it a lot, and the next time I'm going to visit the Lake District (and that's gonna happen soon), I'll definitely stay at the Ravensworth once again! I wish all the best to your family :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 (double room), very quiet and a great view. Room 1 (king-size) has big windows...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. You were our first Russian guests to stay with us and hopefully not our last. We are delighted that we not only met, but bettered your expectations. You certainly embraced our beautiful countryside and attractions, along with our breakfasts. We look forward to seeing you both on your next visit to the UK. BestbRegards Nick & Cheryl.

There are newer reviews for The Ravensworth

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Spent four of the five nights we had booked here last week. Location very good and convenient to centre, rail and bus services. Hosts very welcoming but our super-king sized room was tiny
- hardly any hanging space in odd shaped eaves wardrobe and only space for jumpers was on
windowsill. Unfortunately not enough room to swing a cat or we would have stayed - when we
mentioned this to Nick he told us that the 'super-king related to the bed only' and the other rooms were no bigger!!!!
Would not have booked had we realised this.

1  Thank 691Jan
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for your review. As you mentioned to us when checking out (a day early), we are sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with your stay, but we would like to reiterate a couple of points.

You have said that there was no space for your clothes in the room, but the room does have a 6 drawer dresser for such items so a little confused with that statement? . The room you were in was redesigned two years ago in order to refurbish the en-suite facilities. To enable us to make better use of the space in the en-suite, we did sacrifice some storage space. Whilst we take on board your comments about the wardrobe we would point out that the majority of our guests find the wardrobe and drawer space ample.

You have also failed to mention that we did offer you an alternative room (our Superior Room, which is our largest room), for your final night which you declined without even viewing. You did see one of our King Rooms which you claim was a larger room, but this is not the case. Our King Room may appear larger, but this is because it has King size bed as opposed to the Super King bed that was in your room. The dimensions of these rooms are exactly the same.

For future guests:- .
The guests commented upon their departure that they have stayed in larger rooms at International chains of hotels and were expecting the same from us. We would like to advise that we are a family run guest house, the building is 160 years old which gives it unique character and charm.

We do ask our guests to come to us with any issues during their stay as we much prefer to have the opportunity to correct them whilst you are here.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a late review as I did write one but it didn't post so I have now the time to tell you that once again, after returning from Windermere and The Ravensworth, we really did want to turn around and go straight back to book some more time (we really should have as I left my trainers there!) On arrival we were greeted by a friendly member of staff (they don't have any other kind) and from then Nick came to see us and asked us if we wanted coffee and cake to which we agreed. After taking our luggage to our room we came down to fresh coffee and Lemon Drizzle cake which was home made by Cheryl and absolutely delicious. We had a little chat with Nick and Cheryl (and Thomas) before planning our day. Once again, no fault could be found with the room, food or staff, not that we were looking for any, and The Ravensworth achieved the high standard of care and comfort we have come to expect. Though of a high standard, Nick and Cheryl are always looking for ways to improve on a very well-run establishment. I do find it odd that there are some very negative reviews on here and it is hard to imagine why as, if there are any problems, it clearly states on the room doors that you can contact Nick or Cheryl and they will do their utmost to make your stay the most pleasant and comfortable they can and they are very approachable. I am now going to give a little warning; be careful and set your alarm if you have an evening planned and you go back to your room to relax for a while because if you're anything like my Wife and I, the comfort will get you and you may drift off. This has happened to us no matter what room we have stayed in. Yes, we have our favourite but all of the rooms have that effect on us. So to summarise, my Wife and I would not want to stay anywhere else.

1  Thank WhoDat51
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you so much, again, for your fantastic review. It makes us feel so special when we receive comments like this, it makes all the hard work worth while. Yes, our 3 year old son, Thomas, is progressing and now occasionally helps (?) us with check ins. We are holding your trainers as a ransom to make sure you return soon and look forward to it very much. We do strive for the best quality and service possible and it is very gratifying to know that it is appreciated. Thank you again and we'll see you both soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

What a beautiful place and pleasant accomodation. Nick and Cherly are both such lovely people who clearly enjoy their job of making people feel at ease. The room was superb, soft bedding, powerful double shower, fluffy dressing gowns, cafetiere & buscuits. The breaksfast was relaxed with excellent food. There is honestly nothing my husband and I could fault them on - hence the reason we returned and will do again and again.

Room Tip: Bring your swim wear if you to use the spa pass.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and was great to see you both again (even better for yourselves that this trip was paid for by the kids!!!!). We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of the spa passes, it is a great way to end a day, relaxing in the pool and sauna. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Nick & Cheryl

Reviewed April 14, 2013

From the moment you arrive this is a relaxing experience in a quality guest house. Nick gets the kettle on and Cheryl's lemon drizzle cake was superb !! I could not fault the place, the rooms are spacious, the bed's comfortable and the breakfast varied and of high quality. We definitely fancy coming back for another visit.

Room Tip: Nick gave good advise about the walk up from Bowness, if you are travelling on the lake use the bus...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. A lot of our guests (who arrive between 12-6pm as advertised) enjoy our welcome tea and cakes and we must admit, Cheryl's Lemon Drizzle Cake is very popular. We look forward to welcoming you both back soon. Best Regards, Nick & Cheryl

Reviewed April 10, 2013

A beautifully situated guest house, so convenient to all local restaurants, bars and shops. We were welcomed by Nick with tea and cake, a lovely touch and an upgrade to a beautifully decorated room. The service and attention to detail by Nick and Cheryl was second to none as was the very tasty Cumbrian breakfast. Overall a perfect 2 days to rest and relax prior to the arrival of our son. We will certainly return and fully recommend 'The Ravensworth' to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments, we are delighted that we were able to help you have a restful few days before your important arrival. We hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you and all the best for the future for the (soon to be) 3 of you. Nick & Cheryl

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stopped here for a few days holiday, meeting friends locally.

First impressions were very welcoming. It was clear the hosts wanted to guests to feel special, for return business and to maintain good reviews on sites like this, and were pulling out the stops in the service department to achieve it. It worked for me! A tour of the facilities, with a coffee & slice of cake to welcome. I don't remember getting that service at many other recent stops.

The room was well kitted out with Freeview TV, new & designed fittings and a modern, fresh bathroom. Wifi was great, fast and free. Little to complain about at all, other than the room I got could have been snug for more than one (there was just me so it was fine for one). Despite being on the main road, traffic ceases on a night so a very good night's sleep was had.

Breakfast was good though maybe a little constrained in size, with fresh croissant as well as full English option. Coffee was good quality.

A major hit for the hotel for me was location - being central to most things. Very close for a wander into Windermere, or easily on bus & train routes with late buses and/or trains back from a night out in Ings, Staveley, Ambleside and Grasmere.

I will certainly stay again on returning to the area, which I do fairly frequently. For value it was excellent & it deserves the high rankings. And not just because of the welcome coffee & cake!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time for putting together such a concise review of your stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the 'little extras' that we provide for our guests. We must admit, you are the first person in our 3 years here ever to describe our breakfasts as 'constrained in size', our self service buffet, followed by 6 options of cooked breakfasts usually keeps guests set for the rest of the day, with no need for lunch. We hope to see you again in the near future and will pop an extra sausage on the plate for you. Best Regards, Nick & Cheryl