Hillthwaite
$144
$103
$100
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
$226
Hotels.com
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
$67
Priceline
$105
$87
1,560 results
All reviewssauna and steam roomsconescourse mealclassic roomsmall poolon arrivallovely hotelafternoon teabay windowhigh standardlake districtmy partnerbooked this hotelcream tearestaurant staffbreakfast and dinnershort break
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed at this hotel after a good deal from a website - Scones on arrival, dinner, bed and breakfast, having checked the website the rooms looked good. We booked a Superior room BUT on arrival I was really disappointed as our room was anything but Superior, most of the hotel looks recently updated but as soon as I opened the door to our room the musty smell hit me.

Room 30 - All the furniture looked out dated, the carpet was cream and although clean covered in stains, the sofa had the sort of cheap blanked people use to protect furniture from pets, and the furniture was all worn and scuffed, the worst was the bathroom; A Jacuzzi bath yes, but green and from the 1980s. The shower was above the bath and also awful, very little water pressure which made it difficult to wash my medium length hair. I was hoping for a big white bath like the modern bathrooms on the website so feel like they are miss-selling the room a bit from the pictures. Also, the bed was dreadful, really soft and lumpy, the mattress needs replacing.

I went down to reception to polity ask if we could change rooms but was told "we are full except for a cosy double", and the receptionist offered no interest in the problem.

The only good part was the restaurant the evening meal was good, nice choice and very quick service considering the hotel was full. The food was good and above average for a 3 star.

Unfortunately, the breakfast the next day was below par, we ordered the full English which was small and the produce was poor quality, I am pretty sure the mushrooms were from a tin can.

On the whole the staff were average, always polite but not very chatty could do with taking a bit more interest in the welfare of the guests. In fact in the morning, no one asked how my stay was, we were just given the bill and sent on our way. Judging by the rest of the reviews we were unlucky with our room, but it seems pretty unfair that other guests on the same deal as us had luxury refurbished rooms, whereas I feel ripped off.

Conclusion - Could have been great. The evening meal was good value and the hotel is in the right location with really beautiful views, but woe betide anyone who doesn't get one of the refurbished rooms.

Room Tip: NOT room 30!
1  Thank Jess P
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

I am so sorry to read your review and that you were disappointed with your recent overnight stay with us. I do appreciate Room 30 is not our very best superior room, although we feel that we show this bedroom clearly on our website and the value we offer for a stay with dinner and breakfast is excellent. This does not, however, make up for your expectations not being met. We are undergoing a huge refurbishment of Room 30 and its bathroom. May I also clarify that we have no tinned mushrooms on the premises and that all of our meals are prepared with the freshest of ingredients.

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Our room was located in the annexe which looks to have been recently refurbished. It was exceptionally clean with all the mod cons - iPod docking station, and mood lighting and TV in the bathroom were particular favourites! The food in the restaurant was delicious, perhaps the best steak I've ever had! Could not fault, will return!

Stayed: August 2014

Wow! What a great review. Our Tendal Howe building has been recently refurbished and we are so glad you appreciated the 'little extras'. We hope to welcome you back again soon and thank you for posting your review.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just spent two nights here with our dog, really great room at back of hotel so could take dog in separately and leave him in room without bothering other guests if he barked (he didn't, he was so tired after all the walks)! Fantastically helpful and friendly staff, good food, great restaurant, great pool and sauna for easing aching limbs, couldn't fault it. Will definitely return. Also really good wifi access.

Room Tip: With dogs garden rooms at back are great
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review and we are so pleased that you and your dog enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your excellent comments regarding the food and staff and look forward to welcoming you all back soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Overall an excellent hotel perhaps a little let down by the food. First impressions were excellent. Nice friendly ambience and staff very happy to offer helpful advice. Our room ( number 15 ) was listed as luxury and I agree it lived up to the billing. The en suite was as nice as I have seen.
Given vouchers for complimentary afternoon tea and scones which was a lovely add on.
Came down for dinner as arranged at 8pm and here there were a few niggly points.There is a small desk where you are asked to wait to be seated but we stood for at least 3-4 minutes. I accept the staff were busy but this needs to be improved. It was obvious there was insufficient staff numbers to deal with a full dining room but despite this they were pleasant.
The next small thing was that the waiter poured wine for my wife who then noticed a fly in the glass - he said sorry and took the glass away but never offered to replace the glass or even offer a glass of house wine to make up for the lost glass from the bottle. A small point but important.I spoke to the manager ( Helen ) next morning who said she would have a word and suggested the bottle should have been replaced--I agree
Had to ask for bread rolls but as stated staff were busy. Starter was truly awful --Stilton Bavarois-- no taste despite stilton being a strong cheese. Soup course OK Cod as main course was really nice and cheese as final course was excellent.
Room excellent --nice temperature and a great nights sleep.
Breakfast fairly typical but well cooked and good service.
Allowed us to leave car in car park for several hours until leaving --a very nice touch
Staff excellent --very friendly and helpful --Helen especially so.
Overall would I return --YES but the food just has to be a bit tastier.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and get a superior or luxury room
1  Thank Alex M

Thank you for your review and first of all, may I apologise for the problems that you experienced in the restaurant and I have spoken to our Restaurant Manager and have passed your comments on to our Head Chef regarding the food. Thank you for your feedback as without it we cannot improve. I am pleased that you loved Room 15 and I hope that we can welcome back to the Hillthwaite in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

I booked this for me and my boyfriend off secret escapes. It was my first booking off this site therefore I was unsure.
On arrival I was pleasantly surprised to the quality of the finish and the feel of this hotel.
We stayed in room 15 and I couldn't say a bad word about it.

The food was very nice and of good portion sizes. The home made scones on arrival were incredible and defiantly a highlight!
After long walks in the lovely Lake District I looked forward to coming back to this hotel.
For a 3 star this hotel was a lovely find!!! Defiantly recommend!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Its always difficult when you book a deal through a third party as you are never sure what you are going too get. I am glad we exceeded your expectations and I agree our homemade cream teas are scrumptious! We hope to welcome you back soon to Windermere and the Hillthwaite.