“Hotel Special Offer's - Excellent value for money”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Hotel Special Offer's - Excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed at The Hillthwaite House Hotel on a special offer of Dinner, Bed and Breakfast. The hotel is very clean throughout with very friendly, professional and attentive staff. The public areas including the dining room, conservatory and lounge are decorated to a lovely standard, with views over Lake Windermere. We utilised these areas on arrival whilst enjoying our homemade warm scone, butter and jam - lovely.

The bedroom we were allocated was a bit dated but had modern touches to bring it up to date, but the bathroom was amazing, with lovely white fluffy towels!! The bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in away from my own at home - a full nights sleep without any disruptions!

The evening meal we had that was included in our package - was fabulous! We do not have a negative word to say about it. Although the following morning with high expectations from the evening before, we were slightly disappointed by the average breakfast we received.

Nice heated swimming pool area, with steam room and sauna - good facility for families to entertain the kids for a short while (especially on those wet days in the Lakes).

The location is good to explore both Windermere and Bowness-On-Windermere. But a short walk into both. Also be warned, it is up a hill..... But on a positive note, it is the reason why you get great Lake views!!

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay, and would recommend to our friends and family.

Room Tip: The more you pay, the better the room, it would seem!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank loxy2011
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and I am pleased that you appreciated and took advantage of our special offer. Thank you for your fabulous comments about the staff and food. I am sorry breakfast was a slight disappointment for you and I will certainly raise this issue with Philip, our head chef. I hope you have time to take advantage of our special offers again and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We only stayed for one night but would certainly contemplate a longer stay in future. We booked the break to include dinner. On arrival we were shown a comfortable clean room and given a voucher for an inclusive afternoon tea with scones. This was very welcome after a long journey and also because the weather wasn't great for a walk around the gardens.There are nice views from the lounge and conservatory which overlook part of the lake to the hills beyond.
Pre dinner drinks were courtesy of a bottle of Prosecco on ice in our room which we carried down to the lounge. A request for the fire to be lit was acted upon and this made for a cosy couple of hours.
Dinner was a really good four course affair and was efficiently staffed. After dinner we moved back to the comfortable lounge where the fire was enlivened.
We we informed we would be at the same table for breakfast which was excellent and once again very well organised.
The hotel is decorated quite tastefully and the staff were all brilliant.
on the downside it got quite noisy outside, early in the morning from just before seven which appeared to be hotel employees conversing and working at the rear or side of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ant586
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us albeit a short one! I am glad you appreciated the excellent views and cosiness of the hotel. I hope to see you again in the future maybe for a little longer this time.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Accepting that all previous expectations were more than satisfied during our visit, the big plus were the evening view to be enjoyed as the sun dropped behind the mountains beyond Lake Windermere. The location at the top of a steep approach must be taken with care, if on foot stroll to either Bowness or Windermere village in about ten minutes. I seriously recommend a taxi back to the hotel front door though!

1 Thank peter r
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your great review and I am glad you managed to enjoy the sunshine and the stunning sunsets it offers....I hope there are more to come! I have passed your comments to all the staff whom I am sure will be thrilled. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite soon.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here over a weekend recenty using a living social voucher - deal to include bed breakfast, 4 course dinner and tea and scones. The hotel is not modern and the decor needs updating from top to bottom; it could be described however as cosy and they allow dogs. The entrance was through the conservatory which was in a state of dissaray - filled with walkers shoes/bags etc and cushions piled high - oh and a bag of rubbish someone had deposited.The restaurant staff were quick and efficient and the food was generally of a high standard. Ditto for the bar staff who were however overworked and overwhelmed by the volume of guests. There is a quiet room with an open fire which was lovely and the views from the terrace are fantastic. I would have given this hotel a higher rating if it wasn't for the dreadful room we were allocated ( we requested another but non available apparently) Everyone staying there seemed to be on the same 'deal' but room 20 is not suited to guest accommodation. Next to a staff service area it is noisy, very,very small and in a corridor/annexe overlooking the roof of a covered walkway. When we got a peek at other rooms it was very clear that this was the worst room in the whole Hotel, although the room next door in the corridor was much better. The bed was most uncomfortable with poor quality mattress and pillows and sleep was almiost impossible. No noise from other guests but staff were noisy going up and down the stairs with room service orders. Suggestion: don't use this room for guest accommodation. Although other guests were asked if they had slept well/enjoyed their stay, I wasn't and I believe the staff are well aware this room should not be used fior guests, no matter what they pay for it.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 20 - next to service area, very very small with horrible view of the roof of cove...
3 Thank 64greta
Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. We are currently working our way through our refurbishment but the public areas will be done in the New Year. However, the hotel is not as dated as what you make it out to be. We aim to offer a cosy atmosphere which I am glad you appreciated. I will look into the mattress and pillows in Room 20 as this is the first time someone has commented on this and will certainly take on board the rest of your comments. Thank you once again for your review and I hope you appreciated the beautiful surroundings in which we are set.
Albrighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Hillthwaite Hotel is a place to go if you want relaxation, comfort, good food and wonderful lake and mountain views. The staff are helpful and courteous, the restaurant has an excellent menu and wine list, and the waiter was excellent at advising on suitable wines. Our bedroom was well appointed,clean and had a comfortable bed and pillows. The drawing room and conservatory were wonderful places to relax and admire the views. Excellent value for the money. We will definitely go again and recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your great review. I am pleased that you appreciated the Restaurant Manager's extensive wine knowledge which he is very passionate about. Its good that you found the hotel relaxing and comfortable which is what we want our guests to feel when they stay here and I am glad that we managed to achieve this. I look forward to welcoming you both again in the future.
Brighton UK
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights last week and had a very nice stay. From the website it looked a lot more modern and contemporary so we were a little dissapointed on arrival that it looked somewhat dated. The room we stayed in (No1) was nice and had plenty of room, though I would say apart from the wonderful sitting room with windows looking out over the lake where we enjoyed a very lovely cream tea the rest of the hotel is really quite dated, though we didn't see any other rooms so perhaps its not true of the whole hotel. Everyone was helpful and friendly and we certainly were made to feel welcome. The food courses were on the whole nice though all little too soft for my palate including a very pureed mash potato, possibly more suited to an older clientele perhaps ( We are both in our 40's), though the breakfast was plentiful and very nice. Dinner on the second evening was accompained by the presenter off radio station talking and playing random tracks through the speakers which really was irritating and I probably should have said something at the time, but given no one else seemed to mind? or perhaps like me just didn't think they should have to ask for the radio station to be turned off over a candlelite dinner and bottle of merlot and some suitable background music should have automatically been playing instead. We used the Sauna on both evening which was relaxing and obviously not used much but we had needed to ask for it to be turned on both times which took some time, then also found the we needed to fill the water bucket for the sauna coals ourselves as empty both visits. Whilst this is not a big deal it's these little things make all the difference. Overall we had a Nice stay, would we return? Definately to The Lake District but probably not to this hotel or at least with all due respect, not until we were a lot lot older.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was a large room and bathroom on the ground floor next door to the swimming pool...
4 Thank mulberrybay
Thank you for your review and I am glad you appreciated the beautiful surroundings of the Lake District. I can only apologise for the 'radio' being on in the background during your meal. This is certainly not a standard practice and I will speak to the restaurant staff to make sure this does not happen again. We cater for all age groups in the hotel and I am sorry that you found us more suited to the 'older' clientele as this is obviously not the case. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme with the public areas scheduled to be done in January (as we need to close the hotel for this work). Thank you for comments and I hope you will try us again at a later date.
Northwich
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We went for a nights stay from a living social deal in February for a 30th birthday. I had mentioned it was a Big birthday celebration and was slightly disappointed that they didn't make a bit of fuss. Not that we were expecting anything extravagant but the receptionist even seemed out out to provide me with a champagne bucket with ice. Cream tea was included which was served In a cosy room with a log fire. Scones were home made but very dry and crumbly which made them hard to eat without falling apart. The room was nice with a great view of lake winds mere. There was a jacuzzi bath that I paid extra for but wasn't really worth it as it was really loud and not very relaxing. The meal was also included in the deal which was adequate but no wow factor. The service was slow and my wine came half way through the meal and was warm! Don't bother getting the cheese board with a supplement as it was quite small and you didn't get enough cracker for cheese. The breakfast the next morning was nothing to write home about but was nice enough. There is a also a pool and sauna area, the steam room was a bit weird and quite small but a nice added extra. Prop banal best to get changed back in your room as there is limited changing space and facilities. Overall a nice hotel but not somewhere that I would go back to which is a shame.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for your review and I certainly take your criticisms on board especially with the staff involved. We try and go out of our way to make sure that you enjoy your stay and are comfortable so I am sorry that you felt we hadn't hit the spot this time. I hope you enjoy returning to the Lake District in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!