“A Nice Hotel in the Very Beautiful Lake District”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights last week and had a very nice stay. From the website it looked a lot more modern and contemporary so we were a little dissapointed on arrival that it looked somewhat dated. The room we stayed in (No1) was nice and had plenty of room, though I would say apart from the wonderful sitting room with windows looking out over the lake where we enjoyed a very lovely cream tea the rest of the hotel is really quite dated, though we didn't see any other rooms so perhaps its not true of the whole hotel. Everyone was helpful and friendly and we certainly were made to feel welcome. The food courses were on the whole nice though all little too soft for my palate including a very pureed mash potato, possibly more suited to an older clientele perhaps ( We are both in our 40's), though the breakfast was plentiful and very nice. Dinner on the second evening was accompained by the presenter off radio station talking and playing random tracks through the speakers which really was irritating and I probably should have said something at the time, but given no one else seemed to mind? or perhaps like me just didn't think they should have to ask for the radio station to be turned off over a candlelite dinner and bottle of merlot and some suitable background music should have automatically been playing instead. We used the Sauna on both evening which was relaxing and obviously not used much but we had needed to ask for it to be turned on both times which took some time, then also found the we needed to fill the water bucket for the sauna coals ourselves as empty both visits. Whilst this is not a big deal it's these little things make all the difference. Overall we had a Nice stay, would we return? Definately to The Lake District but probably not to this hotel or at least with all due respect, not until we were a lot lot older.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was a large room and bathroom on the ground floor next door to the swimming pool...
4  Thank mulberrybay
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for your review and I am glad you appreciated the beautiful surroundings of the Lake District. I can only apologise for the 'radio' being on in the background during your meal. This is certainly not a standard practice and I will speak to the restaurant staff to make sure this does not happen again. We cater for all age groups in the hotel and I am sorry that you found us more suited to the 'older' clientele as this is obviously not the case. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment programme with the public areas scheduled to be done in January (as we need to close the hotel for this work). Thank you for comments and I hope you will try us again at a later date.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We went for a nights stay from a living social deal in February for a 30th birthday. I had mentioned it was a Big birthday celebration and was slightly disappointed that they didn't make a bit of fuss. Not that we were expecting anything extravagant but the receptionist even seemed out out to provide me with a champagne bucket with ice. Cream tea was included which was served In a cosy room with a log fire. Scones were home made but very dry and crumbly which made them hard to eat without falling apart. The room was nice with a great view of lake winds mere. There was a jacuzzi bath that I paid extra for but wasn't really worth it as it was really loud and not very relaxing. The meal was also included in the deal which was adequate but no wow factor. The service was slow and my wine came half way through the meal and was warm! Don't bother getting the cheese board with a supplement as it was quite small and you didn't get enough cracker for cheese. The breakfast the next morning was nothing to write home about but was nice enough. There is a also a pool and sauna area, the steam room was a bit weird and quite small but a nice added extra. Prop banal best to get changed back in your room as there is limited changing space and facilities. Overall a nice hotel but not somewhere that I would go back to which is a shame.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you for your review and I certainly take your criticisms on board especially with the staff involved. We try and go out of our way to make sure that you enjoy your stay and are comfortable so I am sorry that you felt we hadn't hit the spot this time. I hope you enjoy returning to the Lake District in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Having just returned from our second visit to the Lakes, I can honestly recommend this hotel for a short restful break. Credit to all of the waiting staff who did their upmost to make you feel welcome. Breakfast was worth waiting for, both hearty and wholesome. The choice of breakfasts was second to none. The four-course evening meal was worth more than the three star the hotel is credited with both in presentation and quality. The service at both meals was spot-on! My only minor criticism would be that we were given a "cosy double" bed, which was not a double but more of a three-quarter sized bed, and that the shower totally lacked any pressure. But, this has not deterred us from returning as soon as we can. All-in-all a very comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms E15 and E16 are worth spending that little bit extra.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the food with us. In the cosy double rooms we have a standard double bed (4'6) and we do not have any three quarter beds in the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed last night on a DB+B basis. From the moment we arrived everything was 1st class. The room we stayed in(33) was excellent. Very clean with a large bathroom including a jacuzzi bath and separate shower. The view out of the window was lovely, looking over the lake and hills in the distance.
The evening meal was cooked to perfection. The steak was one of the best I've had for a long time. The other courses that my partner and I had were also faultless. There was a good selection of wines and local beers at the bar. Breakfast was also cooked really well and more then enough.

Cannot fault this hotel and will be back.

1  Thank Julian P
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I am glad that you liked Room 33. Thank you for your lovely comments about the food especially breakfast as its an important part of anyone's stay. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We visited for one night and we couldn't have asked for better.
The service we received was 1st rate. Our 'cosy' room was more than cosy, with views over the mountains and lake. The food for our evening meal was delicious.
We would definitely come again and recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review and I hope that next time you are able to stay a little longer. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here 12th March 14 for two nights which were exceptional. I have been reading some comments on here and there are obviously some people that you will never please.
From the moment we arrived until we checked out the staff were very attentive and the atmosphere in the hotel was so calm and welcoming. The food was cooked and served to the highest standard.
Book in here you will not be disappointed, unless there is no pleasing!
And l forget the biscuit for Archie:)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for your excellent review and for the lovely comments about the staff. Don't worry about the lack of a biscuit for Archie....he's currently on a diet as he is a very greedy Labrador!! I look forward to seeing you again hopefully for a little longer. Thanks again!!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had a one night stay here, our room was really nice and also the bathroom, one thing let it down moldy blind on the window. The restaurant again a lovely room what I cannot understand is why they cannot get the food right. The food was terrible at the evening meal and breakfast, it is such a shame as I would return to this hotel if the food had been decent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the food which surprised me a little as we always receive fantastic feedback regarding this. Thank you for informing us about the blind which has since been changed. We obviously did not meet your expectations on this visit to which I can only apologise.