“An outstanding weekend stay”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“An outstanding weekend stay”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had booked a family reunion and had asked for certain things to be laid on. Nothing was too much trouble and all our requests had been noted. The staff are, without exception, professional and welcoming, but what makes the whole experience memorable is the quality of the restaurant. Each course of every meal was of the highest standard - quality ingredients, beautifully cooked. No wonder so many people are repeat visitors.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank possie1948
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are blessed to have an excellent kitchen team. Philip, the Head Chef prides himself on offering a seasonal menu using local produce. Everything is home made, including the delicious bread which in this economy, is quite rare to find. I hope that you too become one of our 'regulars' and I hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was the 3rd time we have stayed at the hotel and the second time in the Autumn. We were extremely fortunate that even at the beginning of October we didn't get a drop of rain over the four days stay.

We stayed in Room 36 in the main hotel with a Lake view. Everything was just as before - excellent food, relaxing atmosphere and the best thing of all - efficient and extremely friendly staff.

It was great to see so many familiar smiling faces in the Reception and Dining Room and a few new ones. Of particular note was a young French chap working very hard in the Bar and Dining room. Despite being rushed off his feet he found time to smile and chat.

This place is home from home and is our little sanctuary in the Lake District. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Premier or Superior Rooms are worth paying a little more for.
1 Thank Tazza2727
Thank you for your great review and in particular, David will be pleased to receive such a glowing comment. Your pictures are also fantastic especially the one at sunset which just portrays how beautiful and fortunate we are to have that view. Thank you once again and I look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel with a cosy atmosphere
Amazing food and breakfast with great service
Stunning area even though the weather was wet!

The staff seemed unclear about what room was a cosy double and which was a classic double so make sure you get what you paid for.

Overall would recommend this hotel and would visit again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will certainly pass your comments to the members of the team and hopefully, we will see you again soon.
chester
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I visited this hotel as a group of women on a birthday trip and want to let anyone thinking of staying to do so as they will not be disappointed .the rooms are beautifully decorated and have everything you need.The staff are very friendly and will go out of their way to please.The food was of a very high standard and portion sizes just right.we were full each night.some people have made negative comments about the rooms being small but can I reassure anyone that if a little cosy that should be no problem as the beautiful setting and high quality decor throughout makes up for this 10 fold and hopefully you know the person you are sleeping or sharing with .No negatives for us only positive feed backs all round. The road up to the hotel is slightly steep and may prove difficult for less baled individuals but you can drive up to the reception door and their are disabled facilities once inside with ground floor rooms and ramps but to enjoy the views you do need to be a little higher.Thank you hillthwaite for making a friends 50th very special.

Room Tip: We had 5rooms all of different size and shape and all were great.some with lake views and some with...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jtmgcm
I am so pleased that you all enjoyed your stay with us and we sure did have a few laughs with you that weekend. I am so pleased that you found the Hillthwaite friendly and of a good standard (which we are known for) and I hope you will return with or without the husbands!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I last visited this hotel in the mid 90's and have always remembered my stay with fondness. Fast forward to last weekend, when I treated my companion to a 2 night stay and can say it is still very welcoming, combining the feeling youre being spoilt with the comfort of a well maintained family home.Beautiful touches in the decor, a lovely bathroom, good food, excellent and friendly service, the pleasure of a pool and sauna... nothing was overlooked.Our room was as described over the phone when I made the booking with lots of towels and white bedding. My favourite bit? Saturday afternoon by a roaring open fire, sippng tea and eating a cream scone with lashings of cream in the lovely lounge.
Very much recommended.

1 Thank Jayne S
Thank you for your review and I am so pleased that you came to visit us again. I hope you saw a vast improvement in decor since you were last here! I have passed your positive comments to all of the staff and I hope to see you again very soon.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed for three days last weekend. Our third visit.

The first night we were in room 18. This is above the the kitchen entrance and can be noisy when the staff come in for the breakfast shift. It was unfortunate because the noise set the dog off. We complained and next day we were given a free upgrade with a good view over Windermere.

The hotel staff could not be more helpful and friendly. The hotel has a very comfortable feel about it which made the stay very relaxing.

The dining experience is good although dinner can be a bit bland. Not sure though whether a sugar cube is a good substitute for a crouton in one's soup!

Yes we would difiantely stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 18.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Despite the problems you encountered on the first night, I am glad it did not detract from your stay and that we were able to sort out a viable solution. Thank you for all your comments in relation to the staff which I will pass on and no, of course a sugar cube is certainly not the right subsitute for a crouton?
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We booked this hotel after grabbing a deal for our 10 yr wedding anniversary on Travelzoo for £129.00 per night in a cozy double with scone and tea on arrival, eving meal with pimms drink and breakfast.
We had to book direct with the hotel and I spoke to a gentleman who told me the cozy doubles not available so I would have to pay an upgrade for a superior room which took the cost to £149.00 per night.
My husband secretly rang up to book the 2nd night as a surprise and was told we were not in a superior room but a double zip?? what ever that is.
I then rang to confirm this and yes I was told the same by a lady called Paula. I explain the original booking and paid the upgrade for a superior. I was asked to check my emailed invoice and there it was, upgrade paid for double zip.
Very naughty as I would have entered the room thinking it was suppose to be a superior.
After a call back I was told a superior would be avaialble to us but no apology.

On arrival (2.00pm) We were met by a lovely lady who informed us check in was 3.00pm, very late check in for any hotel!
We chose to order our tea and scones and wait until 3.00pm as we wanted to freshen up and meet up with some friends.
The scones were by far the best we have ever had and in the relaxing reception area that was until 2.45pm and it was caos.
Arrivals were all waiting to be checked in but rooms were not ready so they were all stood in the small cramped reception area.
once a few had checked in and recption had cleared a little, we were glanced at and it was clear we had been forgot about.
Once in the room which was lovely but not the size I would expect for a superior.
Jaccuzzi bath pumped out lots of grime and dirt during use resulted us getting a shower.

The evening meal was nice but was expecting a little more WOW going of trip advisor.
We were given a set menu with 3 /4 options for each course only by time we got to eat we were told half the menu was no longer available so we settled for beef....which was still mooing and had vien tubes through it.
We never got the drinks that were part of the offer!
I must say restaurant manager was the most proffessional out of all the staff and very friendly.
Breakfast was lovely :O)

Overall I would say this hotel is suited to over 50's. The staff are not very proffessional but it works well with the older guests.
Nice little touch of bath robes and expensive mini toiletries...also a bottle of champagne that was seen being put into all rooms.

Nice stay and great views but wouldn't return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MinxyMuffin
Thank you for the four stars but I feel that some of your comments are unfounded. You will tend to find that a 3pm check in is the norm for most hotels and when we can, we can check our guests in earlier if the rooms are ready. Some of our guests are indeed under 40 and enjoy staying at the Hillthwaite because of the relaxing atmosphere and friendly service. Our menu has since changed to a seasonal menu which offers lots of choice which seems to have gone down well to our other guests (under 40 too!!). It is quite harsh to judge a hotel's clientele based on a one night's stay.