“Bank holiday weekend stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Bank holiday weekend stay”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel on a very busy weekend!

The room was good and very clean but the food was excellent. The staff were very attentive and looked after us very well, cannot fault any of the staff or service we received. The locality is also excellent a very short stroll in to Windermere and Bowness.

We will be visiting it he hotel in the not too distant future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your positive review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us over the Bank Holiday weekend, around this time so many of our guests are trying to grab those last few days of relaxation before the school run begins. Coming as it does at the peak of the holiday season it is often difficult to ensure that we maintain our usual high standards with so many different guests coming and going but we got so much good feedback over the bank holiday period that we must obviously have met the expectations of the majority of our guests and I hope we can look forward to you returning to the Hotel in the not to distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wow where do I start? Before arriving & at very late notice after a horrendous day I rang to try to arrange flowers & chocs in the room for my wife, this was not a problem and sorted for me. On arrival we were shown to our impressive room with a fantastic shower in it. The food in this hotel blew me away, this food is as good as any food we have ever had better than a lot of the five star hotels we have stayed in and better than a lot of fine dinning restaurants we have eaten in. The lamb main course was amazing take a bow chef.. In fact I got the chef out and bowed to him it was that good! And I am a very fussy eater who likes things right..
Would I recommend the hillthwaite ? You bet I would & will we re visit the hillthwaite ? The answer is not if but when! This place is a true hidden gem we absolutely loved it
Jimmy& Debbie Glaister

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous review about the Hillthwaite. I confess that when I read your review I got an overdose of pride rushing through my veins. Being part of the Hillthwaite for so long I sometimes get a bit complacent about what the hotel means to so many of our guests and when we receive confirmation that all our efforts to meet and more often than not exceed our guests expectations the effect on staff morale is tremendous, so thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilthwaite on some future occasion.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

A delightful place to stay, especially at this time of year. Their gardener has worked hard, unexpected delights around every corner, flowers everywhere. Food was imaginative and tasty, their eggs benedict was the best ever. Rooms were comfortable, I cannot praise them enough. From arrival to departure we were made welcome and I look forward to going again.

Room Tip: We had a "room" in the annexe, that is a good sized bedroom with t.v. and soooo comfortabl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and thanks especially for your comments about the gardens. We believe that the gardens at the Hillthwaite were originally laid down at the end of the 19th century by the renowned local garden designer, Thomas Mawson. Whilst we cannot hope to reproduce his grand design, as the gardens were much more extensive in those days, we are making every effort to emulate the original characteristics wherever possible. I have passed on your lovely comments about the food and these were very much appreciated. I hope you will consider staying at the Hillthwaite again some time in the future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Really disappointed on arrival that the room was in the annex,which I can only describe as ok an a letdown on some points: the building feels tired and a bit scruffy, the room 242 defiantly needs the bathroom updating, when paying over £120 for a room a certain standard is expected and it wasn't met, the jacuzzi bath jets are filthy and are not being cleaned properly,the edges of all the grout in the corners of the bath is black woth damp that needs scrubbing off, the shower head is shockingly old an dated, reminded me of a caravan shower head.the floor has dirty black damp areas to the corners of the bath and floor,it has a dated Lino on the floor. with a shower curtain the bottom of which was really dirty, this room needs tidying and possibly a shower screen which is more hygienic and tiling as the Lino is very scruffy, the annex itself just feels and smells musty, it's an extension, which feels like your in a prefabricated building noise wise, just really gutted we got this room defiantly not worth the money,and I felt like the room has to much fabric to keep clean,thick curtains and blinds that smelt, and whilst the thick carpet felt nice when dogs are using the rooms unless the Carpet is shampooed before each new guest comes its not practical for a dog friendly room as it smell awful,when you don't have a dog you notice this, also found hair grips on the floor so just felt letdown as I expect basic cleanliness,everything else food and service was as expected, although i sound fussy if you could see for yourself this bathroom and the overall presentation of the room after what we paid for the room you would feel the same,big let down my partner doesn't like to make a fuss, so we didn't ask to change but I wouldn't stay here again, I think the hotel should seriously think of stopping letting this room 242 until the bathroom is updated as it is misleading and genuinely in need of updating, the bathroom lets the rest of the hotel down.also would you not consider wooden blinds? And laminate floor? There is to much fabric and textiles on this room if it is used by dogs as the smells linger and they can't be cleaned reasonably before each new guests as this wouldn't be practical.you couldn't wash curtains daily.sorry but I felt really ripped of over this room, they shouldn't be letting room in this state. The lake views are poor due to the trees and the fact it's summer, the hotel can't really help this though.the staff were pleasant although this couldn't make up for the poor quality of the annex

2 Thank TAMember09102013
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We obviously respect your opinion but whilst I recognise that our 'annexe' is ready for a refurbishment, which is due this winter, I feel your comments about the furnishings etc are based purely on your personal likes/dislikes. As far as the general cleanliness of the hotel is concerned reference to other Trip Advisor reviewers will confirm that the vast majority feel this to be of a very high standard. Yes, occasionally at times of near maximum occupancy the attention to detail is not as rigid as we would like but we continually monitor our housekeeping standards to ensure that these more than meet our guest's expectations. Might I suggest that hoteliers much prefer blemishes to be brought to their attention at the time in order that wherever possible these can be rectified, rather than having to suffer the crushingly negative feeling brought about by anonymous reviewers who 'don't want to make a fuss.' I can assure that we welcome constructive criticism and we act promptly to rectify this when it is justified. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and the food and your comments have been duly noted.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Many apologies for the late reveiw as we stayed in this hotel in November 2012.

We stayed at the Hillthwaite for my birthday last November, at the time they had a winter warmer offer on which was a 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast offer. The offer included breakfast both mornings and a 5 course meal both evenings. We chose a Superior Room with Lake Views and it was exceedingly reasonable.

I can honestly say that this was one of the best hotel experiences i have had. Whe we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a glass of mulled wine and relaxed in the lounge, the staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. We booked our time slot for dinner and chose our 5 courses for the evening. When we arrived down for dinner we we relaxed in the hotel bar with a drink before being seated at our table. The food was absolutely lovely in every way and the service was excellent. The breakfast next morning was wonderful and there was an array of choices on the menu.
The room we chose was right on the front of the hotel and the view of windermere and the lake was astonishing, the room was very very clean,spacious and luxurious and came equipped with wonderful spa bathroom.
The hotel has a lovely sauna, pool and steam room which we took full advantage of.
I had a wonderful stay last year and am planning the same trip this Winter. I will most certainly be back! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Absolutely wonderful!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great late review, it was a timely reminder that after all the good weather we have had this year- well for the Lake District anyway, the nights are beginning to draw in and our Winter Warmer offers will soon be available again. I am so pleased you enjoyed your winter break and thank you for mentioning especially the food and the staff. Everyone's worked so hard this summer season to try and make all of our guests feel special and now its time for the warmth of the welcome at the Hillthwaite to be turned up even more to compensate for the change in temperature! I do hope you manage to come back and see us, the fantastic autumnal colours will soon be with us and we get some beautifully crisp winter days which evoke so many memories for our guests both past and present. Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights.
The room was lovely and clean - we both slept well.
The evening meals were delicious and considering the quality and the number of courses very good value. The breakfast was great as well.
The staff were excellent.
I would definately stay there again.
The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the lake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks for your concise and very positive review. Its great when it appears that we have met your expectations for the three main essentials of any hotel visit, good food, good staff and very important a good night's sleep. Glad to see you are hoping to return and look forward to welcoming you.
East Midlands
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We picked Hillthwaite House at the last minute for a long weekend (August 2013) and had a lovely relaxing time. We opted for a Superior room with lake view and it was lovely, with a four-poster bed and jacuzzi bath as well as the view. The hotel has a pool, sauna and steam room. It's not large, but makes the most of what it has, with a comfortable lounge, small conservatory and bar, as well as the restaurant where one was drenched in luxury. The staff were without fail attentive and friendly, and the facilities and rooms clean. Walking distance of both Windermere and Bowness (15-25 minutes). Almost too comfortable! Ideal for couples. Check hotel website for offers - they often have good ones.

Room Tip: A lake view is more expensive but we thought worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit. Glad that your last minute decision turned out to be a good one! I realise that choosing a hotel you haven't visited before is sometimes a bit of a gamble especially, when there is the occasional negative Trip Advisor review attached to it. However, we are professional enough to understand that we cannot please everyone despite all our best efforts to meet their expectations, so thank you for trusting the vast majority of our reviewers and deciding to come to stay with us. You kindly emphasise the one word we want all our guests to feel when they visit us 'comfortable'. No pretentious stuffiness just good honest warm and welcoming hospitality, after all that's what hotel-keeping is all about isn't it. I have passed on your kind comments about the food-thank you and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back on some future occasion.