“Very friendly staff and nice hotel”
Review of Hillthwaite Hotel

Hillthwaite Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff and nice hotel”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in June while visiting Bowness and found the hotel to be very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. To get into the center of Bowness it was about a 10 minute walk downhill so the hotel was pretty well placed. There was enough parking for everyone which was good. We did not have dinner in the restaurant but the breakfast was nice so I assume that the food would be good. It was also handy to have a pool to use, which was a little cold but ok once you took the plunge to get underwater. The room was pleasant enough with a newly fitted bathroom and decent sized bed and sofa and LCD TV and was very clean. Some of the larger rooms at the front of the hotel looked to be very nice from what we could see when we walked past them whilst room service were in. Overall I enjoyed the stay at the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, despite our elevated position most of our guests agree with you about our convenient location and private secure parking, they are a great help to our guests during the busy holiday season around Windermere. We try and maintain a good standard of bedroom fixtures and fittings but will continue to invest in our on-going programme of bedroom refurbishment. Sorry the pool was a little cool but we do check the temperature on a daily basis you may have dipped in just after we had done a top-up. I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfasts and perhaps if you stay with us again you will sample our dinner menu one night. Thank you for your kind comments which were very much appreciated.
Hope to be able to welcome you back some time in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband booked us a little break at the Hillthwaite House Hotel through Travelzoo recently and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay On arrival, the General Manager checked us in and helped us upstairs with our luggage. For a small premium we had upgraded to a room with jacuzzi and lake view and I would definitely recommend doing this. The room was spotlessly clean, modern and very comfortable with a beautiful view of the lake. The bed was so comfy and everything looked new and pristine, there was even a (silent) fridge. We ate at the hotel the first night as dinner was included in the price and found the food to be of an excellent standard. There's a comfy lounge to relax with aperitifs while you browse the dinner menu. Dinner was beautifully cooked and presented and, with a very relaxed ambiance in the dining room, there was no pressure to rush our meal. We were allocated a table facing the window so were able to enjoy the beautiful view. There was plenty of choice for breakfast and I can recommend the Eggs Benedict and Kippers. My husband had the Cumberland ham and he said it was the best he'd ever had. There was no wifi in our room but this was not a problem as wifi is available in the lounge and conservatory. There's a nice terrace where we sat in the evening admiring the lovely sunsets. There's also a pool, steam room and sauna although we never actually used them as we were out most of the time. All in all, this hotel ticked all the boxes for us. I have high standards as I'm in the hospitality industry myself so I can be critical as I believe we should all go the extra mile for our guests but we found this hotel to be excellent value for money with lovely staff who were eager to please. If you want a relaxing break in lovely clean surroundings with friendly staff, beautiful views and excellent food then I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading as not all rooms have a lake view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for writing a review which has lifted all our spirits again after the previous reviewers disappointing experience. At the Hillthwaite we try desperately to tick all the boxes but occasionally we fail, but it would seem that happily in your case we more than met your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and the food which as usual I have passed on and they were very much appreciated. The views are something special aren't they, especially when we are treated to one of those beautiful sunsets, and if the weather forecast is correct we can expect more of the same for this week's lucky guests. Nobody wishes more than me that all our bedrooms had the same stunning views as most of our superior rooms do but unfortunately it is not possible, however, I'm glad you were able to enjoy them. A big thank you once again for your kind remarks and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on a future occasion.
UK
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Was looking forward to staying at this hotel after Tripadvisor good reviews, and was hugely disappointed.
Rooms very basic and bathroom dated and had a urine smell (cosy room - small).
The biggest disappointment was the food, just awful. My husband paid a £7. supplement for steak and chips as the other menu was uninspring and that was ok. Mine however was just awful. I am afraid breakfast was not good either.
As we paid for a cosy room cost was fair, but if I had paid for one of the superior rooms and had that food and breakfast I would definately not be happy.
Positives:
Staff were friendly and helpful throughout stay
The hotel has beatiful views as it is set up upon a hill
Nice terrace to sit out on in the nice weather
I think the owner/chef need to go eat at Linthwaite House to see what food should be like at a hotel of this standard.

1 Thank Ann1959
Thank you for your review, I have responded to so many positive reviews recently that by the law of averages inevitably a negative one is sure to bring us all down to earth with a bump. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Hillthwaite, it seems like our kitchen brigade didnt perform to their usual high standards, that is a great pity because I think you will see from so many of our earlier reviews that our food generally receives many compliments. However, I must hold my hand up and say somebody obviously got it wrong that night.

I'm a little confused about which menu you found uninspiring, it would have been very helpful to know. Our main restaurant menu changes daily and our Simply menu contains all the usual popular bar/lounge food type dishes and doesnt set out to be pretentious. Our rates as in most establishments reflect room size and aspect and we pursue a continuous programme of refurbishment but at the present it is impossible to maintain this due to the high occupancy levels we are thankfully experiencing.

Thank you for your positive comments about the staff and the views, but I'm not sure how your recommendation to go and eat at the Linthwaite falls into the positive category. We respect the Linthwaite House Hotel immensley and the food there is superb and yes I have eaten there on more than one occasion, but with respect hardly a level playing field as regards price and size of kitchen brigade-local knowledge is useful sometimes. However, I trust your disappointing stay with us doesn't put you off returning to our beautiful corner of the country where I am sure you will find a cuisine and room rate to match your expectations.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Recently stayed at Hillthwaite House Hotel for a weekend break - on arrival we were met at reception and had our luggage taken to our room, which was greatly appreciated.

The food in general was really very good, breakfast in particular was excellent, my only complaint that both myself and my partner didn't get what we asked for, and in particular I was served 2 items that I specifically asked to have left out. That said, the breakfast was delicious.

The hotel itself was very clean, and the service was very good, with the staff polite and courteous at all times, this couldn't be faulted at all.

My overall observation was that this is a good hotel for "older" couples or families. This is in no way a criticism, especially given what I've previously written, but we both felt that our room was quite old fashioned in terms of decor and furnishings, and the feel of some parts of the hotel were also quite old fashioned. While there were one or two other younger couples, in general the other guests appeared to be in the 50/60+ bracket. At £190 for one night on the weekend I did feel in general that it was quite pricey - we had upgraded to a superior double but to be honest room 17 did not feel like a superior quality room, it was quite basic, which was slightly disappointing, but we just got on with our stay and made sure we were out and about as much as possible.

The hotel is a good, clean and welcoming place to spend a couple of days - in reflection it just wasn't the right one for us but I'm sure many others will find it an excellent place to stay in keeping with the many other strong reviews on here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank your taking the time to write your constructive review. Sorry you felt the Hillthwaite wasn't for you and we quite understand that the hotel is not everybody's cup of tea. However, we have fortunately been welcoming back many of our guests for a considerable number of years, many of whom first visited us like yourselves as bright young things often with their 'first-born' in tow-please see my reply to the previous reviewer. Sorry but I just can't bring myself to now tell them that they are past their sell-by date and that the departure lounge is full-just joking, but please be assured that we welcome all ages to come and join the Hillthwaite family, the ethos remains the same no matter how young you are.

We try to ensure that our rooms are individually furnished and decorated, whilst keeping in mind an ambience in keeping with the buildings traditional Lakeland provenance. Whilst we don't want to replicate the blandness and minimilism of some corporately owned hotel bedrooms we do try to keep in step with current trends and fashions when refurbishing our rooms-funds permitting.

At any one time we do have different value for money offers available but these do not usually extend to a one night stays on a Saturday, which is in line with the approach of most of our competitors.

So thats the negatives out of the way, I want to thank you for your kind comments about the food and staff which were very much appreciated. It's a great pity that the things you found good about the hotel appear to have been overshadowed by the negatives. However, we just have to accept that for a variety of reasons hotel guests sometimes just feel incompatible with the hotelthey are staying in, most of the time its not something they can specifically identify its simply as you found at the Hillthwaite 'just not for us' and I'm sure you will find somewhere in our beautiful corner of the UK which will give you the same sort of feeling which so many of our guests experience when visiting the Hillthwaite.
NWUK
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We've been going to this hotel for years and decided it would be the perfect place to celebrate a significant birthday. We had a variety of requirements and the staff were only too happy to accommodate our every need. Everyone we invited to the superb Sunday lunch was impressed with the food, delightful staff and wonderful environment.
A huge thanks to all concerned for making this such a memorable and enjoyable occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Obviously your comments about the family Sunday lunch does give me a big clue about your identity! However, in response to your very kind comments can I just say what an absolute delight it was for us to welcome you and your family to celebrate that 'significant' birthday, especially on Father's day, don't worry I won't reveal on Trip Advisor how many it was. We do enjoy catering for family parties at the Hillthwaite it is a pleasure to see relatives from many parts of the country meeting up for what may be the first time in many years and it looked like the children had also enjoyed the splendid occasion. I have passed on your kind comments to the staff and I can assure you that these were very much appreciated. I sincerely hope that you will continue to visit the Hillthwaite for many years to come and maybe celebrate your next significant birthday with us.
rochdale
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed for two lovely nights at The Hillthwaite House Hotel and found everything to be of a high standard. In particular all the staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was great with plenty of choice and had extra little touches like the canapes and petits fours. Will book again.

1 Thank Jill_FR
Thank you for your lovely review, once again the stars of our show, the staff and food seem to have come up trumps with you as with so many of our guests, who really appreciate the effort we all make to try and ensure that their stay exceeds their expectations. At the Hillthwaite what we may lack in 'pomp and circumstance' we make up with the warmth of our welcome, the friendliness of our staff, the quality of the food and of course not forgetting those iconic views, oh yes and I almost forgot -in recent weeks those memorable sunsets!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond so positively to your review and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on another occasion.
huddersfield
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Hillthwaite House for 2 nights on June 5th 2013 what a gem of a hotel it is . The staff were excellent nothing was to much trouble for them . We stayed in room 201 Langdale decor and views fantastic, indoor pool ,sauna steamroom very refreshing. The breakfast amazing plenty of choice, spotless dinning room , only wish we had stayed for evening meal . We will love to stay again and will be recommend it to all our friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 201 Langdale is located near the top carpark and you dont have to drag bags through hotel also...
1 Thank jill f
Thank you John and Jill for taking the time to write a review, its especially nice when we are able to identify reviewers because the review then becomes even more personal and helpful. Langdale is a favourite with many of our returning guests and I have passed your kind remarks about the food on to our Chef and the rest of the staff, who as you can probably tell from my replies to previous reviewers are the jewell in our crown at the Hillthwaite. It was lovely to read that you will recommend us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!