“Very overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Very overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and myself stayed at this hotel on friday evening we only booked on the morning last minute. We paid £120 for what was described as a classic room. We arrived and the hotel is quite an imposing building with lovely views from the front. We were greeted and shown to our room where we were really quite disapointed. The room was very small and very dated compared to the public areas which were decorated really quite nice. We rang reception and the manager came up to see us immediately we explained that we had paid £120 for 1 night B & B and the room was very dated and so small my husband could nearly touch both walls with his arms.The manager said we had paid for a basic room , we said no we have paid for classic the basic room was £99 however he said this is all you can expect for what I think are definately not basic prices. We left a lovely home to stay in a room which had a view onto other rooms with very old decor. He said we could look for somewhere else, I said not at this time on a friday evening he then offered to refund us to the basic price. Breakfast was quite nice but overall definately not worth the money.....and out of season!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank karensunderland
SOUTHLAKER, Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
I wish to correct some inaccuracies with this review. First of all if the reviewers check their account they will find that they had actually been charged for a basic room and breakfast i.e. £99 not £120 as they state. I did express my sincere disappointment that they unhappy with the room and that if they felt they would prefer to look for alternative accommodation elsewhere that I would arrange for a refund, this was obviously and wrongly misinterrpreted as a suggestion that they should leave the hotel. I also explained that as the hotel was full I was unable to offer them another room in the hotel. It is also impossible, in a hotel bedroom, to replicate a guests home appurtenances and style but every effort is made to provide accommodation and decor which meets a wide variety of guest expectations, which usually we appear to achieve. I must also question the reviewers assertions about the size of the room, I myself stand over 6ft and it is impossible for me to touch both walls with my arms outstretched! Finally I would like to point out that this was a last minute booking which obviously restricted the rooms which we were able to offer these guests, however,it is our usual policy to offer room upgrades if these are available, which in this case we were unable to do.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Came up from London for a long weekend and loved it. The hotel is very spacious with a seperate annex of rooms together with the main hotel, ideal if you want to bring the dog for those long walks..
The pool is a great place to relax after a long walk , dipping in and out of the sauna/steam at the same time.
Superb food with great attention to detail from the most helpful staff, nothing is too much trouble...
Just rebooked to experience it all again.

Room Tip: Great mountain view rooms are available...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have just returned from a short break at this lovely hotel. The staff were very warm and welcoming, the room we stayed in had stunning views of the lake and a jaccuzzi bath. The food and service was of a very high standard, and the roaring fire in the lounge was a lovely place to sit with a drink. We also enjoyed the pool and sauna whilst there. We would definitely visit agIn and recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Gradygirl1
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

My friend and I went to Hillthwaite for one night to celebrate her 50th birthday. The welcome was warm, we were shown to our room with a view which was a twin bedded room with a view over part of lake Windermere and part of the surrounding houses. the room was on the small size but perfectly adequate. Beds really comfortable. The bathroom was stunning, obviously new and we loved it, especially the jacuzzi bath! Everywhere was extremely clean. The hospitality tray was at the ready although we never used it. the pool was cool to start with but your body becomes accustomed quickly, the sauna was nice and hot but unfortunately the steam room was not on so can't comment on that. We dressed for dinner and went down for a pre dinner drink. the staff was absolutely lovely. We were shown to our table - the cutlery and glasses were gleaming, the crisp white linen looked so fresh and crisp and the dining room looked so welcoming. The 5 course meal was faultless. The presentation was amazing and the food out of this world. We loved every minute. We were even treated to a special 50th birthday plate of chocolate decorated by the chef, a very nice touch indeed. Breakfast was of the same standard. If you are looking for a little break away from it all, with a touch of luxury where the staff are not in your face but there at all times to see to your needs then this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Debandez
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Fantastic hotel, lovely and clean, food very nice good quality posh nosh really.
Bed comfortable from all the walking you do! Sauna and steamroom and pool are a nice touch for a cold night.
Steep driveway to walk up at the end of the day but worth it as the views from the actual lounge/ restaurant is truly amazing especially when the jets are flying low through the lake.

Would re visit this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DawnRob_9Haven
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed at the Hillthwaite House on 6th Jan 2012, having got a deal through the bay Radio. This was for B&B. On looking on the Internet prior to phoning to make the booking there were other offers also available, yet I wasn't allowed to use one night on the one already bought, and then use another offer. I asked about booking a table for an evening meal when I phoned up, and was told that 'our rate' would be £35 a head. No price was listed on the internet, and it appeared that the pricing is according to room cost, and adjusted accordingly. On arrival, we were not made at all welcome, and appeared to be regarded as unworthy of extra attention as we were on a basic package, and had not booked an evening meal (I don't believe an extra £70 is worth it). I should also add that I had enquired about a room upgrade, to a larger room and was told that 'for us' it would be an extra £50.The room was basic, and there was no view whatsoever; the window looked out to the back of the kitchen, and a couple of kitchen staff, smoking, were having a loud argument. There were no Toiletries, and when we asked for them we were told they would be brought up to the room whilst we used the leisure facilities. We went to use the Pool, steam room and Sauna, shortly after arrival. I had been told that they would put the steam room on, but they hadn't, so it took 30 minutes to start to warm up. The small pool was quite cool, and you would not be able to stay long in there even if you wanted to. I like swimming underwater; the first thing I found was a 3" screw. Changing rooms are very small, indeed if there were more than 3 couples using the facilities it would be very cramped. The shower would not warm up, so we went without. My wife banged her knee badly on the bottom of the pool, which has a sudden shelf. Another couple were horrified at this, and also at the screw (which was brand new). We got dressed without showering, and went to reception, where I handed over the screw. Not an eyelid was batted, nor an apology. The lady seemed unsurprised and commented that they had been doing some work in there. Our package included a free glass of mulled wine. We asked for it, only to be told it wasn't included on 'our deal' spoken in a sarcastic way. I said it was, and they refused to believe me. I told them that it was on the paperwork I had handed over to them, but they still disputed this, so I said I would go to my room and fetch a copy i had made. Halfway down the corridor the lady caught up with me and said that we could have the mulled wine. We sat by a roaring fire on a lovely lounge and enjoyed it, but the experience had been marred. the toiletries had not been placed in the room, so I had to go and ask for them, and got two small soaps and a small shower gel. not impressed. In the evening, we ate out at a local restaurant , which I had found on this website, and had an excellent meal, for far less than the £70 the hotel would have charged. We returned at 2200hs, and my wife had a bath, whilst I decided to look round the hotel - I like to look at architecture, ceiling hangings, ornaments etc. The man on duty followed me around, and made me feel very on edge, and I got the distinct impression that he thought I was up to no good, and cut short my look around. The bed was small, the room was small, the bathroom was lovely, but small, and I had to mend the bath waste plug, after using a penknife to prise it open after my wife's bath, as the turny thing which should have let the water out was incorrectly adjusted. I fixed it in a minute, but wasn't impressed. bed uncomfortable, smallest TV you could imagine, limited channels. Morning - Breakfast. The dining room was laid out beautifully, lots of nice tables with lovely views. There seemed to be about 4 couples in the hotel including us. We were shown to a small poky table with no view, near the serving area, so staff (that man again) kept brushing past me. I got the impression that 'we had the cheapest room, so we had the cheapest table' despite many far better ones being empty. The man was unwelcoming and brusque, giving us no time at all to choose our breakfast (brought to you). Whilst we were waiting we saw him welcome two other couples, in a far nicer manner than he had us. Breakfast was superb. My wife had Ham and scrambled eggs, I had the full English. Done to perfection with top notch ingredients. A bit small for me, as only one sausauge and one rasher of bacon, and the beans were cold. But on the whole one of the better Breakfasts I've had at a hotel. IN a nutshell, we felt very let down, we expected better, and could have got better - there were plenty of rooms obviously free, and other hotels would have given you a 'upgrade' to show off the hotel, and sitting us at the cheap table was so very petty. Am still cross at no apology re the screw issue. I won't recommend the hotel, and won't return. With just a little bit of effort at being nice, the experience could have been so much different. My wife commented that a bed and breakfast she recently stayed in at Carlisle was far better, bed, toiletries, breakfast and importantly the welcome and made to feel at home, for less money. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Try the Burnside Hotel - better location, wonderful staff and welcome, and cheaper - always give you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank John_B_034
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

Surprised my boyfriend with a weekend away for Christmas and it was amazing!
We took advantage of the winter warmer deal and loved it! We upgraded to a lake view room with a jacuzzi bath which was lovely.
After a long day walking around Windermere and ambleside we too advantage of the sauna, spa and pool and it was just what the doctor ordered to warm up after a cold day!
The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice but the evening
Meal was perfect! We had a 5course meal each night and we were not disappointed, the desserts were amazing!
Brilliantly helpful staff too!!

I would recommend this hotel to
Anyone, great location and good value for money. Will be returning, definately!

• Stayed January 2012