Where to start when everything was just so perfect ?, the staff, the rooms, the location. the food. Our entire immediate family, have just stayed for two nights at the Merewood Country House Hotel September 11 & 12th 2009. Celebrating the wedding of my husbands son Stephen, and his wife Nichola. The weather was fantastic, but even that was outshone by the ambience and cleanliness of the hotel. I cannot praise the cleaning staff enough for the cleanliness of the entire hotel. The room in which we stayed was so clean you would have thought the bathroom had just been completed by the builders. Bath, toilet and floors were sparkling. Bedding crisp, and the bed was huge and so comfortable, ( no problem with sleeping ), and although our room was at the rear of the hotel, there was a great view of the surrounding woodlands and gorgeous tall pine trees. Which is great, if like me you are a bird spotter. We even saw a fox on the first night. The reception and all the staff were full of smiles, but unobtrusive. Thanks especially to Joe the undermanager, and the blond lady who's name I unfortunately didn't get , who was so kind in arranging alterations to the dinner menu for the wedding meal at such short notice. Getting round to the meals, Breakfasts were brilliant with such a lot to choose from and the cooked meals arrived hot, not luke warm. The wedding dinner itself was exquisite, ( compliments to the chef. ), with every course having your taste buds tingling. And the fish and chips at night were just too moresy for words. The bar in the front of the hotel could be used as a location for a nineteen thirties film like Poirot, or some such thing, with sumptuous leather sofas and potted palms it was tremendous. A real touch of class and romance.
And then of course there is the location. Well what can I say to adequately describe this.
Perched high on a hillside overlooking two parts of the lake the hotel has the benefit of the most dramatic sunsets as the sun goes down over the mountains, and fantastic sunrises as the morning mist lifts off the lake. And with several vantage points with ample seating, you can take your drinks outside and just enjoy the ambience on a nice day or if its raining you get just as good a view from inside. An amazing place to spend your family wedding, or just to get away from it all, treat yourself as recooperation if you've been ill, you deserve it. and well worth every penny. I'm already saving up for my next visit and I'm recommending it to everyone I meet. I reckon if you don't like it here you won't be happy anywhere. Keep up the good work Merewood staff and if any of you read this. See you again . Jackie Hunter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merewood is a country house hotel of great charm and distinction set in a position of incomparable scenic beauty. The Hotel stands on its own secluded estate, overlooking Lake Windermere and is easily accessible from the main route to and through the Lakes. Merewood's friendly and efficient staff, the relaxed excellence of the service and the wonderful food are all of a quality to match the unparalleled location.The Hotel is open all year including Christmas and New Year and the English Tourist Board has awarded it a "Highly Commended" three stars with silver accolade for food and service. It is often worth checking for late availability as there are special deals and midweek breaks throughout the year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, LateRooms and Priceline so you can book your Merewood Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merewood Country Hotel
- Merewood Country Windermere
- Merewood Country House Hotel Windermere, Lake District