“Excellent Value in the Lake District”

Merewood Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent Value in the Lake District”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed here for four days on a dinner, bed & breakfast package with my mother. The staff were friendly, the food was really excellent - I'm a coeliac and I didn't even have to mention it to staff as they were ontop of the situation - and the service was great. My only gripe - I'd asked for a Lake View room on booking and was told that was fine but unfortunately there were none available when we checked in. We were offered one for one of our four nights but didn't feel there was much point in moving for just one night. Otherwise I would recommend this hotel as an excellent, good value choice for the Lake District.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a Lake View room at the front of the hotel - they are fantastic!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Fuffbear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Sutton Coldfield, UK
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I booked two nights for me and my boyfriend and this hotel really was an excelllent choice, I booked on the trip advisor recommendations and was not disappointed. The staff are very helpful, the location is ideal just a short pleasant walk to Ambleside and the food ( we stayed DB&B) was amazing, better than a lot of restaurants we have been to and the chef is really accomodating if you have dietary needs/requests. The only thing I was disappointed with was we had room 3 and it really is very small, functional but small, we did however look at other rooms which were much bigger, so ask for them!!!! I know I will when I go back as this hotel really is a fantastic break away!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 2, Room 3 which we had was very small!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank keeleybevington
Mildenhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

What an amazing hotel!
My husband booked a night in the Merewood for my 30th birthday. On arrival we we're offered a choice of room as a superior room became available. We ended up staying in room 2 which was absolutely stunning and had amazing views of the trees and lake. After having a look round the hotel, grounds local area, we went back for dinner. Well I just can't explain how nice the food was. We're both vegetarian so often find that our meal choices are limited and establishments tend to offer us the usual vegetarian fare of stuffed peppers, risotto etc. But at the Merewood the food was first class, with three stunning options for each course and I can honestly say it was the best meal me and my husband have ever had. I only wish our booking was for three nights so I could have tried everything on the menu. The bed was super comfy so had a great nights sleep. This was followed by an amazing breakfast the next morning. This is the best hotel I have stayed in in the UK and we will definitely be going back, sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: Room 2 was stunning!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chickien
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed here for two nights for a wedding in July, and can only describe the place as the Jewel of the lakes. We arrived late due to traffic and were checked in and shown to our room which was out of this world. Very clean and great decor with the view meeting the high standards. Everything about the room oozed class and luxury, the bathroom was very clean and stocked with complimentary products, the bedroom was extremely spacious and plenty of room to hang the suit!!

The bar area of the hotel was extremely hospitable and very welcoming, with the range of drinks available superb, with the staff remaining professional in whatever they did, with nothing being too much hassle to ensure your stay was memorable.

The day of the wedding was fantastic, with the staff extremely helpful and making sure that everyone had a great day. With special mention to the barman, James Corcoran (hope spelt his name right!!), who was extremely helpful and friendly to whoever he was serving, exactly what was required for a day like this. All the staff could not do enough on the day, with the food being served in a professional manner, and the layout of the room and tables being first class. The food itself was tremendous, the presentation and flavours were to die for right from the canopes through to the evening meal.

In all, a fantastic stay, one of the best hotels we have had the pleasure to stay in. We would definitely recommend this to anyone who is staying in the area and even more so for anyone having a wedding --> although i guess if people are aware of the class this place oozes you will have to be in there early!!!

Fully recommended, not many places will come close to outshining this jewel!!

Room Tip: All great!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I have stayed at the hotel many times over the years and it continues to excel and improve with each visit. The location and views are simply spectacular. The decor has been recently updated but retains all the charm and chique it has always possessed. The food is always magnificient and any issue no matter how trivial is always attended to immediately and without fuss. The staff are attentive but at the same time unobtrusive and the whole atmosphere is one of relaxed charm.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed for four nights mid-week to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Our room was amazing (no. 5) with views across the lake. We particularly enjoyed the food, from the cooked breakfast to afternoon tea and sublime dinners. Thank you to the Merewood team for making our stay so special.

• Stayed September 2011
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I stayed here for two nights in July for a wedding. The staff were incredibly obliging throughout the stay, and did their absolute best to ensure all guests enjoyed the weekend.

The staff were incredibly professional and their wealth of knowledge about wedding ceremonies was invaluable. Right from the rehearsal the evening prior, to the ceremony itself - nothing could be faulted. It was obvious that a lot of hard work had gone into working with the happy couple to ensure their special day ran like clockwork, right to the very minutest of detail.

After the ceremony we had canopes - mini yorkshire puddings with beef and horseradish, mini pork pies, etc they were fab!
The wedding breakfast food was excellent too. I had the lamb, which to coin a cheesy phrase "melted in my mouth" - but there's no better way of describing it. My wife is vegetarian, and dreads these types of events as it's often a dry pasta dish, or other uninspiring meal. Having been to two other weddings since (and many before) nothing has come close to matching the quality of food she received.

The room was spotless - one of the cleanest hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom bright - according to my wife this is important! (She was also glad for the anti-fog mirror!) We requested an iron for my usher shirt, which promptly arrived.

Breakfast was exactly what you would expect from this hotel - cereals, fruit, croissants etc. plus full english breakfast freshly prepared, all with stunning views in a calming atmosphere.

The grounds of the hotel were well presented. It was a red hot day which made the event perect for the couple and a great day for everyone.

Getting married? Don't overlook this place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends