“Disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Booked a much needed break in the Lake District and, after reading all the positive reviews, I booked a room in Thornbank House. The area itself is lovely and the location of the B&B is great (halfway between Windermere and Bowness), but that's really where the good points ended.

We found the owner quite frosty on arrival, which was not a great start, and not really that welcoming throughout our stay if I'm honest, so we didn't ask for too much advice about the area. However, we were given leaflets on what we could do which was helpful.

The room itself was really, really small. There was barely any room to get round to the side of the bed on either side and there was neither empty space to set out your things or drawers you could use. There was a wardrobe squeezed in though. It was a real squeeze when both of us were trying to get changed. The bathroom was fine, but had carpeted floor which is a pet hate of mine. Towels were rough and a bit tatty.

You have to specify what you want for breakfast by 7pm the night before, which I thought was a little odd. There were good options of cooked and continental breakfasts though; we opted for the cooked on the first morning which was fine but not the greatest I've ever had. Everything is grilled which makes it a little healthier but I would give the rubbery grilled mushrooms a miss.

Overall, the place was basic and clean but not really what I was expecting or looking for. I wanted a relaxing getaway and whilst I cannot fault the area, I would not chose this B&B as my base again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank leanne_gray

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked three nights for a last minute long weekend and must say that Thornbank House made the ideal base. Situated half way between Bowness and Windermere you are little more than a 10 minute walk from either.
The rooms are very clean and decorated to a modern standard and this is probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in whilst away from home. The Full English Breakfast is of the highest standard and all grilled apart from the eggs so felt no guilt polishing it all off.
Jane and Mark were the ideal hosts and were very helpful and knowledgable about the local area. They were able to point us in the direction of some great eateries, walks and trips.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked 3 nights over the new year and was delighted with the accommodation and especially the warm and friendly welcome we received from Jane and Mark. They couldn't have been more helpful and offered some really useful advice on walking in the area. The booklet (left in the room) they had put together of things to do in the area was also a nice personal touch. The room itself was great...tastefully decorated and of a more than decent size. The breakfast was also something worth highlighting...Mark really knows how to put together a cracking full English and this set me up for each day. Overall, a place I'd recommend highly and would look up again when staying over Bowness/Windermere way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I came to the Lake District for a weekend so that I could indulge myself with my hobby - landscape photography. But in deference to "her indoors", I wanted to make sure we stayed in a nice lodging within easy reach of decent restaurants. After much research, I chose Thornbank House to stay at. It is close enough to both Windermere and Bowness to allow us to walk to either town and thus take our pick of a host of different restaurants of various styles without worrying about mixing alcohol and driving. And it has free parking available as standard - a big bonus for this area.

These practicalities aside, I have to say that Thornbank House is a very comfortable guest house with very welcoming owners. We were allocated a room at the front of the house on the ground floor. (Or maybe it was the upper ground floor - there is a lower ground floor where the kitchen and breakfast room are located). The bed was large and comfortable, the en-suite shower room was clean and more than adequate for our needs. And on a cold weekend, the room was very well heated. Breakfast was excellent - tasty and filling in equal measure, and a good choice of breakfast styles to boot.

The owners, Mark and Jane, are very affable hosts. Jane welcomed us when we arrived, making sure we were comfortable and offering us plenty of useful information - including a well-founded recommendation of a restaurant in Bowness for that first evening. Mark appeared in the morning, preparing the breakfasts.

Overall, this was a very pleasant experience - well worth the price. I would be more than happy to stay here again, the next time I come up to the Windermere area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

just had a weekend in lakes we were upgraded to larger room free of charge room clean and tidy great breakfast great location walking distance to windemere and shops parking no problem owners jane and mark very helpful and pleasant would recommend ken and chris

Room Tip: larger room we had spot on
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stapleford
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our son is at Lancaster University so we thought a weekend in the Lake District would be a good opportunity for a family catch up. We wanted to stay somewhere that was central and would be comfortable and clean. As we were also taking our teenage daughter we needed two rooms with plenty of 'space'. Thornbank House was perfect. The rooms are five star clean and have been decorated to a very high standard. Breakfast was plentiful enough to satisfy enough a starving student so all boxes ticked. What I particulary liked was Jane's sense of humour - so something for everyone. Would definitely stay here again and will recommend to all our friends.

Room Tip: Both rooms were well positioned
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 day break staying at the Thornbank Guest House for my fiancees birthday and could not fault our experience! Location is perfect, we didn't use the car from the moment we arrived,the room was superb with a great shower and probably the best bed/linen I have ever rested my head on in my life! Breakfast was outstanding every morning,Mark & Jane couldn't have been better hosts,we will stay here again without doubt in the future and advise all friends to do the same!

• Stayed October 2012