“Absolutely loved it”

Ranked #22 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Liverpool
“Absolutely loved it”
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Put simply we thought this place was fantastic, and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

The room we stayed in (the Tudor 4-poster) was beautiful (and what a shower!), the breakfast was amazing (try Shirley's home made yogurt) and Vince and Shirley were very friendly.

I only wish we could have stayed for more than one night!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Teesside
Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed at the Storrs Gate for 4 days in June.
Our hosts were very friendly people and were very helpful with places to see, things to do etc.
The breakfast was excellent and very tasty with a good service.
The room was spacious and clean with character.
It was a short walk to Bowness.
Very charming stay and would reccommend.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Had to have the light on during natural daylight time.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
StorrsGateHouse, Owners at Storrs Gate House, responded to this review, July 24, 2008
Thanks Kendra and David, for taking the time to place a review – we are very pleased you enjoyed your honeymoon, and that you will recommend us at Storrs Gate House. We would like to take the opportunity to clarify the point you mention regarding the light levels in your room – this four poster room now having the benefit of a spacious, newly built adjoining lounge with two windows, we agree, will benefit from extra natural light in the bedroom area. Plans are underway to create a new window to alleviate this, and during the quieter months we intend to implement this addition. We do hope you will choose to return in the future.
Thanks - Vince and Shirley
England
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Just returned from 2 nights at Storrs Gate, lovely hosts, lovely good sized room with everything you will need, good quality food, good location, very clean. 15 minute flat stroll to the bottom of Bowness. Yes its at the top end of the B&B price range but you get what you pay for and this is reflected in the level of fittings etc. If your looking for a more personal smaller alternative to a large hotel then give Storrs Gate a try.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
PeteLakes
Reviewed June 13, 2008

Me and my girfriend visited storrs gate for two nights from 30th may till the 1st june. Upon arrival we were kindly invited into the lobby by Vince and shirley and were efficiently shown the our room, we stayed in room 4 and upon opening the door we were both took back by how clean and fresh it looked just like the rest of the house, it was perfect and very good value for money. We both agreed upon leaving that we will be back again at the end of the summer with some friends of ours. Overall a Very welcoming and pleasantplace to stay

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
Middlesex, UK
Reviewed June 10, 2008

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor; we decided to stay here the week before Easter. Shirley made it very clear at the time of booking that some building work would be just finishing and decorating still going on.
Their website is very informative and unlike some websites it shows you exactly what you get.
We had a personal tour of the new rooms, which looked great.
You can easily walk into Bowness from the B&B and we walked up to Windermere too. Ask Vince about the path near the lake it's a beautiful walk into town.
We loved Lazy Daisy's Lakeland Kitchen in Windermere for a nice hearty meal and great dessert. We actually asked for the dessert as take away, so we could enjoy it after the long walk back to the B&B (plus we needed to make some room after the meal).
Also the DVD library was great for one of the nights we got back and were shattered, we just sat and watched a movie.
The ferry is just across the road so you can walk or take the car. If you walk over on the ferry, there is a great walk across to Hill top farm and the tarns - Beautiful!
Breakfast is great - Full english, poached eggs on toast or the croissants and muffins. If my waistline could have coped with it, I would have been the cooked breakfast every morning!
Vince and Shirley were very helpful and advised us on places to go (depending on the weather conditions for that day!)
I have to mention about price, yes I did at first think it was a little high but when I then looked around at other places in this area (with decent reviews). I found it to be the norm for a good B&B. We'd definitely go back again!
Thank you, Vince and Shirley, for a lovely stay.

• Liked — Location & friendly owners
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kerfuffle08
Uk
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Below you will find a honest and non bias review

First I will start with the good points of this Guest house.

Myself and my wife arrived at Storrs Gate house to a very friendly welcome by Shirley , the house its self is very beautiful with needle work done by Shirley scatted round the house on the walls which look very beautiful and the house is spotless!!

On arrival were shown to our room (no 7), which was beautiful large and had wonderful antique furniture, a four poster bed and a wonderful bathroom with power shower but no bath which is stated on website.

Shirley told us nothing was too much trouble for her like booking a meal and taxis so we arranged with Shirley to book a meal and taxis which she did very promptly.

We had a beautiful meal that night a Jacksons which was recommended by Shirley herself and I would recommend to anyone.

It is only a ten minute walk to the town centre along a beautiful track near the lake or only £2.70 in a taxi.

I would also like to say the breakfast is great many rave on about the sausage here but I found the bacon some of the best I have tasted in a hotel.

Now for the down sides I found on this hotel ......

The room we had (no.7) was very noisy I had trouble sleeping at night due to the fact that you can hear every sound from the room above, I could even hear some one coughing, which was very disappointing as we where woken 6-30 am each morning to people moving around and on the second night I was woken at 2-30 am to someone getting up which made me fell very tired next day.

I have stayed in plenty of Guest house and hotels in my life as I am well travelled and not heard the guest moving around in the rooms above quite like this before the floor boards are very squeekey , if this could be sorted I think it would really give this room a 10 out 0f 10 rating but to me a good nights sleep is a very important factor.

The last thing that I was disappointed about, was not informed that there was building work being done, we had builders walking past 8-30 am in the morning which did not make the room feel very private and I was expecting a beautiful private terrace as stated on website but did not have the view I was expecting, I had the view of a wheel barrow and unfinished work outside my room, which would have made me feel even more dissapointed had the weather been good.

On a whole I have think for the amount we paid which was £220 and was a little steep because of the above factors , but thought Shirley and Vince where wonderful and helpful people and when the Garden are finished I am sure it will look fantastic just did not when we was there.

• Liked — The Room decor
  • Disliked — The terrible noise you get above room on Ground floor
1 Thank UkMacca
StorrsGateHouse, Owner at Storrs Gate House, responded to this review, June 2, 2008
Firstly thank you for the kind comments written in this review, we are pleased you were happy with our hospitality and service, the cleanliness of our house, your breakfast and the quality of your room in general.

During the course of your stay, and certainly on your departure, when you both embraced and thanked Shirley, we were completely under the impression that you had thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. It was therefore with some surprise we read your negative points and welcome the opportunity to respond.

That particular wing of the house was built four years ago to exceptionally high specifications, with top quality carpeting and the best underlay possible to provide. This is the first instance we have been made aware of, that there is any problem with levels of noise, and we are sorry that you were disturbed at any time.

During the night, the house itself is usually extremely still and quiet and it may be possible that due to that, movement may appear magnified. However, we do take on board your points, and will do our best to rectify any areas of concern. We would at the time have been more than happy to move you to another four poster room which was available on your second night, if you had brought this to our attention.

The work being undertaken in the garden areas, is not actually building work, as our construction was completed in April. Unfortunately our gardens now need to be re-landscaped and this is now in progress. Prior to this beginning, we placed notification on our website, that the gardens to the rear of the house are under reconstruction, with every intent to be honest about this. The terraced garden area, (which would normally have a table and chairs for guest use, but which we are particularly careful not to advertise as “private” to that room) was at the time, having a concrete base laid in readiness for the installation of a “Jamie Oliver style” wood burning pizza oven, and again we apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.

Finally, but of no less importance, none of our en-suites have baths – all are equipped with power showers (double-size in two of our rooms), and due to this there is nothing on our website or literature which would mislead guests into believing a bath was provided.

We have recently been inspected by VisitBritain after the completion of our building and refurbishment and are delighted and proud to have achieved a grading of Five Stars with a Silver Award which makes our efforts to provide quality accommodation worth while. Hopefully we may be able to welcome you both again.

With regards

Vince
Leicester
Reviewed May 16, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Storrs Gate House last weekend and had a wonderful time there. We hadn't booked in advanced and so Vince and Shirley were not expecting us, but you would never have known that. The room was imacculately clean and they were both very friendly upon our arrival. Shirley is a fantastic cook and nothing was to much trouble, while Vince gave great advise on places to visit during our stay. We thought it was excellent value for money and will definately be returning as soon as possible!!

• Liked — fantastic room and great hosts
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
The Willowsmere
#2 of 54 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Fell Country House
Lindeth Fell Country House
#10 of 54 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Storrs Gate House? Share your experiences!