“Great Breakfast, Great Service”
Review of The Willowsmere

The Willowsmere
Ranked #9 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Together with our son, we stayed at Willowsmere enroute to Durham - my son's university. We had extra luggage and Anthony was really helpful in letting us store the extra luggage in his shed so we did not have to carry the extra luggage up to our rooms. The rooms were really clean and comfortable though my son's single was quite small.
The Breakfast choices were excellent.
Minor complaint were the taps - separate cold and hot taps at the wash basin- not mixer taps.
Would recommend this guest house.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frostztea
Anthony P, Owner at The Willowsmere, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Frostztea, many thanks for taking the time to post a review, much appreciated. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and feel able to recommend us to the TripAdvisor community. Also pleased you found us to be very clean and offering a great choice of breakfast options. With regard to your comment about the taps this is quite a common UK system, we do have mixer taps in most bathrooms but not all as yet. Thanks again for your review. All the best, Anthony

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Excellent... What more can I say.
Anthony was fantastic and very welcoming. 1st time in the lakes for a long time so appreciated the tips on places to visit.
Our room (2) was great, the most important thing... The bed, was very comfortable and we slept really well. Someone commented that the decor was a little dated, that might be true but it suits the building and made our room feel extra cosy.
Breakfast ***** and extremely filling, we didn't need lunch.
We will certainly be back next year.

• Stayed: December 2013
Anthony P, Owner at The Willowsmere, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Hi Florie_Bee, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on The Willowsmere with TripAdvisor readers. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the breakfast so much - and the bed for that matter - they are the 2 main things we do (bed and breakfast!) so they are our rightly our main priorities. In terms of the décor we are continuing to upgrade the fabric of the building, the key priority has been bathrooms, we've replaced 7 so far with a further 3 planned for January (including the room you had, room 2). Our WiFi system has also been upgrading to give complete coverage in all areas and all bedrooms. I'll continue to invest in upgrades but I am planning to return the place back to its Victorian splendour so there will continue to something of an old fashioned theme, but deliberately so! Thanks again for taking the time to post a review. Look forward to seeing you back here at some point. All the best, Anthony

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Enjoyed a fabulous last minute break at The Willowsmere Received first rate hospitality from Anthony and his team. Superb breakfast and perfectly located. Bedroom was to high standard and the renovated bathroom a credit to the owners. Cant wait to visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013

Hi d_tyrer, many thanks for taking the time to post a review, really appreciated! Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much, really pleased you had a good break! Many thanks for your compliments about the new bathroom, this has been quite a mission for me since I took over The Willowsmere last year. So far we have completely refurbished 7 bathrooms and the final 3 are planned for January (the new suites are already in my shed!). I'll be pleased to move on to something else! As always I'm delighted you thought the breakfast was superb - I certainly believe we do a breakfast that is hard to beat! Many thanks again, and hope to see you back here at some point. All the best, Anthony

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I would recommend this fine, very clean and peaceful guest house to any person travelling and wishing to visit the beautiful Lake District, which we are very lucky to have in our fantastic country. The staff on arrival are very helpful in familiarising you with the facilities and the surrounding areas. After a brief induction with the staff, you are left to your own devices without any person bothering you during your stay. The property itself has quite dated décor, however this adds to its character and is kept to a very high standard of cleanliness. I can’t fault the comfortable rooms and the little extras that are on offer. The breakfast was great, with enough options to suit all requirements. I would definitely consider staying at The Willowsmere again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony P, Owner at The Willowsmere, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi Peter S, firstly many thanks for leaving a review, I always appreciate getting feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and found us we offer a clean and peaceful retreat in the heart of the Lake District. We set our standards really high and try to deliver a 5 star experience to every guest so I'm a little disappointed we fell a little short with you. There are many areas I am looking to update but my priority has been the bathrooms, by February 2014 we will have completely updated 10 bathrooms and refurbished 2 others which it quite an achievement in 18 months. But I know there are other areas to address next and I am already planning what we will be tackling over the next winter period. Thanks again for your feedback, and I hope to see you back here at point in the future. All the best, Anthony

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My favorite part of our stay here was definitely breakfast, which was included with our stay. (We traveled with Special Group Tours, which was AWESOME.) You get to order what you like and there are also items like fruit and yogurt put out for you to munch while you wait. We also enjoyed the French press coffee, as well as the goodies on the tea tray in our room. (Believe it or not, I'm not overweight--yet) :)

The owners were SUPER hospitable and friendly.

I loved the view from our room and also from the lobby. The gardens were gorgeous. We enjoyed walking to dinner each night, as it's a pretty area. (There was one steeper climb though, so if you're not used to walking too much, maybe take a car.) There's a place that's not too far with the best fish and chips I've ever had. Ask the owner, as I can't remember what it's called. Or you can ask Ambrose at Special Group Tours. He's the best tour guide around, by the bye.

Out of all the places I've stayed in the UK, this was my favorite.

As a perk, if you need a last minute gift for a woman in your life, they sell handmade jewelry in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Anthony P, Owner at The Willowsmere, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi Nicole R, many thanks for posting a review, really appreciated! After reading your glowing comments I have to admit I'm disappointed we fell short of the 5 stars! Seriously, if you do have any feedback that would help us move the needle up a notch it would be really appreciated! I'm so glad we made it the top of your list for places to stay on your tour, and I'm particularly pleased you enjoyed the breakfasts, we like to think they're hard to beat! Oh, and I think the fish and chip shop you are talking about is Vinegar Jones, a Bowness institution!! All the best, Anthony

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We spent 5 nights here in early October on our recent trip abroad. Having read the reviews we decided on this place and were not disappointed. We were met by Anthony who over the now legendary coffee gave us his insights into this spectacular area. We followed his recommendation of the Queens Head pub in Troutbeck where we had 2 brilliant meals.
Our room was on the top floor but the stairs were easy to negotiate, the room itself was well appointed and right for our needs. The breakfasts were a great way to start the day. The breakfast room and the two lounge areas provide comfortable additional space. The ample parking and the easy walk into Windermere also make this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Anthony P, Owner at The Willowsmere, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Hi DemonJohn! Many thanks for taking the time to post a review, it's very much appreciated! Really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us so much - great to hear! Delighted to hear our welcome coffee is now taking on legendary status!! I know it's a long way from Melbourne but if you ever get back over this way it'd be great to see you here again. All the best, Anthony

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently spent a lovely few days at the Willowsmere, taking advantage of their 3 nights for the price of 2 offer which was very good value. I was a little apprehensive about travelling alone but received a warm welcome from Jason, the room was lovely with a very comfortable double bed and some thoughtful extra touches like bottled water, orange squash and quality toiletries provided. I travelled there by train and was easily able to walk from Windermere station down to the Willowsmere, and getting around for the few days I was there was no problem - I walked down into Bowness a couple of times, took a boat trip on the Lake one day, and got a bus through to Grasmere and Ambleside another day, which was very easy as the buses run past the Willowsmere. The breakfast was super, a good choice of fruit, juices, cereals and yogurts followed by a tasty cooked Cumbrian breakfast, which sets you up for the day!
I had a relaxing few days away and would not hesitate to stay at the Willowsmere again :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Hi JoleeHolz, I'm really pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad you appreciated the 3 for 2 offer, it's certainly proving popular. Many thanks so much for taking the time to post a review, it's really appreciated. Hope to see you back here at some point. All the best, Anthony