The title says it all but let me try to sum up our stay at Laurel's Cottage.
We arrived from Manchester at Windermere by train and took a long walk around lugging two suitcases and a travel bag. The walk was almost 10 minutes up and down some streets and finally with the help of GPS and Google Maps we reached Laurel's Cottage (we found out later that there is a smaller way to the station through the town center or through the supermart next to the station).
Wayne welcomed us at the cottage and helped us with the luggage to our room. We were the given Room Number 5 which was right on the top of the cottage. It was a nice comfy room with ample space for our cases and bag. We dropped off our luggage and planned to run off to the town center for a little evening exploration. Wayne provided us with our key for the main door. We roamed around the town center and came back a bit late after dinner and went off to sleep. We woke up in the morning for our breakfast (8:00 am to 9:00 am) with the specials. The breakfast was very good with fresh bread, excellent eggs (rumble and tumble) with a good coffee and tea to wake you up. We met Alison at the breakfast table who was our hostess at the cottage and had a lovely conversation with her. We went back to bed and probably slept till evening which is a testimonial to what happens when a good breakfast and a comfy bed collide! Wayne met us and provided us with some maps to explore Bowness. The piers at Bowness are almost 1 mile walk from the Cottage and the town center is a 2-4 minutes walk from the Cottage as well. We came back to the Cottage quite late and slept in to wake up to another lovely breakfast where we had pancakes which was STRONGLY recommended. We went around for a walk in the hills around the bowness lake and came back early evening to sleep in early and in another day or so left for Edinburgh after saying goodbye to our lovely hosts, Alison and Wayne and their dog!
Just to sum up the experience. The room we stayed in was excellent value for money. You may find it a little small with no seating area but after a walk around the hills, you just want to sleep. The beds were very comfy and although tap water is drinkable we still bought some mineral water to avoid any tummy issues. The bathroom was well accessorized with natural cosmetics. The airconditioning was not required but at night the radiator in the room worked perfectly well. A tip to remember is not to mess with the thermostat on the radiator as I did and it stopped working. A better idea is to bug Wayne and tell him to work out the temperature. The breakfast is more than brilliant as it is fresh and well made and applause is due for Alison's serving skills. and although we stay Wayne in an apron, I am still skeptical on who makes the breakfast! Both Alison and Wayne helped us be comfortable and made us feel at home. We had a great time at Laurel's Cottage and would strongly recommend it to couples looking for a home to stay in Windermere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Please consider contacting us direct for possible discounts. Laurel Cottage offers you a warm & friendly welcome to this beautiful Victorian guest house built in the 1890s from local stone which has been sympathetically renovated & modernised for your comfort, yet has retained all its character & original features. It is peacefully situated just three minutes' walk from Windermere village centre & all its amenities. There are 5 comfortable en-suite rooms with TV, DVD and WiFi access. There is a guest fridge on the top floor for drink and food. WE DO ACCEPT DOGS IN ROOMS 1 and 2. Please contact us re your pets before booking, thank you. CONTACT US DIRECT should you wish to book or want to know any offers or further information. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Laurel Cottage Windermere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Laurel Cottage Windermere Hotel Windermere
- Laurel Cottage Windermere Lake District