“Pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews” 4 of 5 bubbles

Low Wood Bay
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Preston, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

Having booked the hotel as part of our summer holiday for this year, then reading the reviews afterwards, I was apprehensive about what I might find - however I was pleasantly surprised. We booked to stay in a feature double room (room 23) and the room was very large with an excellent bathroom, complete with roll top free standing bath and seperate shower unit. The bathroom was huge and very nicely decorated as well as being really clean. The bedroom was again a very large size with a side view of the lake, however we would always prefer to have a spacious room as opposed to a view so this didn't bother us. The only complaint I would have with the room was that the furniture (wardrobe, side tables etc) were a little shabby and tired looking, however the bed was large and extremely comfortable which made up for this.

We booked for room and breakfast, and the breakfasts were lavish with plenty of choice, both with the hot and cold selections. Food at the hotel is expensive both at the bar and the main restaurant however the food was to a high standard, but do be be prepared to pay for this. We used the Leisure Club and found that it was very busy especially the pool so you could not do any serious swimming. The outdoor hottub, sauna and steam rooms were nice but again small so they did get crowded. The changing rooms are also small and can become very busy which was disappointing but as we went over the school summer holidays this was to be expected.

Overall a nice hotel (if a little expensive) attentive staff, generally well maintained but some furniture is dated and shabby and so this could do with a facelift in the near future - however the standard and size of the bedroom made up for all the short comings - the extra cost for a feature double with fabulous bathroom was worth the extra money paid - and I would recommend this hotel to a friend after our stay, especially room 23!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear Gem714

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your stay with us in room 23.

It is pleasing to read you enjoyed our feature room and indeed liked the size, even though it was not lake view. I take on board your comments relating to some of the furniture within the room. you maybe interested to know that this furniture is over 100 years old and has great value.

We have invested much time, ensuring we offer the best we can when it comes to breakfast, probably the most important meal in the day. However I am sorry you found one or two items expensive on our dinner menu, I will look into this and ensure costing are relative to selling price. Local produce is highly sort after in the area and Cumbria has to offer some of the best in the country, however this does come with a higher purchase price to us.

Overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found the staff friendly and polite. The room met your expectations and it was clean which, is the important thing. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future and when the time come, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Again thank you for your comments and review Nevil Jeffery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We booked through Lastminute.com wanting to get away for our first trip to the Lake District. When we arrived we were disappointed to see the hotel is literally on the main road, which runs along the lake. Personally, the idea of going to the lake district and then sleeping on a main road with traffic 24/7 did not strike me as relaxing. And for £200 a night! Worse, the room we were assigned was also on the main road, on the ground floor. I was so disappointed when I saw the room, the floor was uneven, it wasn't very clean, and on top of it, the cars were racing past about ten feet from the window -- it just didn't fulfil my hopes for a relaxing holiday. I spoke to the front desk staff and learned the hotel was full and no alternate room was available that evening. Fortunately, the hotel's sister property had a free room and we went there, paying an additional £40 for each of the four nights of our stay. I was glad we were able to stay somewhere else -- even though it was still mediocre, just to get away from the road noise -- but basically, the whole experience was very expensive for not that great accommodation.

Dear concerned customer.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, following your visit to the Low Wood Hotel.

I am sorry to read this was your first visit to the Lake District and you paid £200.00 pounds through a third party booker. It is very important to understand that using these booking avenues you will pay more than if you booked direct and secondly we as the hotel provider do not receive the full amount you pay, when using a third party.

Sorry we could not cater to your needs on this occasion, and you found the hotel positioning non relaxing. I am pleased we could find you alternative accommodation at our sister hotel, Storrs Hall.

Again thank you for your comments and review Nevil Jeffery
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

Low Wood Hotel is superb, a bit expensive but worth every penny. We had a feature room over looking the lake, the room was everything we expected. We particularly enjoyed the leisure facilities., and my wife enjoyed her massage and treatment in the beauty salon. All of the hotel satff were extreemly efficient and knowledgable about the local area which was usefull as we have not visited the area before. The variety and quality of the food at breakfast could not be faulted, We did not use the main restaurant but the Bistro over looked the lake and was very relaxing, the food was also extreemly good. This was our first time in the lakes and we will definitely be going back either to Low Wood or another of the English Lake Hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Dear David Hitchings, thank you for a lovely review after staying at the Low Wood for the first time. We are pleased you enjoyed your first visit to the Lake District and both the staff and facilities of the hotel made the right impression.
we will be pleased to see you again in the near future, either at the Low Wood or indeed one of our sister hotels, remember to book direct.

kind regards Nevil Jeffery, General Manager
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

Loved our two night stay here. Friendly staff, great facilities and looking really nice after a recent refurbishment. Our room was at the front with a huge window overlooking the lake. The only downside to it was in the evening it seemed every Japenese tourist in the area wanted to take photos of the hotel, so we felt a little self concious at times, but the amazing sunset over the Langdales more than made up for it.
There are nice areas to relax and chat, or you can use the excellent gym and the children will love the pool, which can get a little busy just after breakfast. I saw some people disappointed after arriving with their kids to use the pool to discover children weren't allowed in after 8pm. People renting some properties from Heart of the Lakes and Lakelovers get to use the leisure facilities too, which doesn't help matters I suppose. There is an outdoor hot tub which is very relaxing! The watersports centre looks great if thats your thing, but it seemed quite expensive to me. I loved the walk out the back of the hotel and into the woods to the waterfall.
If you think the room rates are a little pricey, look out for the brilliant offers to be had - we saved £170 and only stayed 2 nights! There is even a free waterbus to Waterhead if you can't be bothered to walk there, although half a mile down the road is Jenkins Field, which is a National Trust area with lovely lake access, and a great place to chill out with the children. The main road in front of the hotel may be a sticking point for some, it is very busy - there is an excellent live webcam on the hotel website which is worth checking out. Oh yes.....and the breakfasts are brilliant!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kulashaker1, thank you for a rewarding review after staying with us on your two night family break
We are so please you found the hotel welcoming, friendly on your arrival and indeed during your stay.
We are please you enjoyed the leisure facilities which as you say have benefited greatly by the new Gym equipment and outside hot tub.
Again thank you and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future, don’t forget we run our special package offers all year round, however these are only available direct on our own website at English lakes.
Nevil Jeffery, General Manager
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I took my husband here last saturday for his birthday. We have a toddler and don't get the chance to go out very often (maybe once a year!) so we were both really excited about staing at the low wood hotel.

We have stayed at the Waterhead hotel just a mile further up the road and it was fantastic, the rooms were of excellent quality and we really enjoyed our stay, couldn't fault it. So I looked on the ELH websites and found the Low wood which is part of the same hotel chain. I decided on this because I thought we could expect the same quality as we had previously.

The low wood was more expensive than waterhead. We arrived and found ample parking, the reception and public areas on the ground floor had very nice decor and the staff on the reception were very friendly.

We then realised as we started up the stairs that the standard was not carried out throughout the hotel. I had paid £208 for a lake view feature room, the room was very small, decor was dated, the carpet looked a bit gubby, the wallpaper was damaged in certain areas, the furniture was shabby (and not shabby chic), there was no fridge and the bathroom was ok but the shower cubicle doors didn't shut properly. To be honest I could've cried after spending so much money for what looked to me like 3 star, I wouldn't have minded if I hadn't paid that much. The breakfast was very nice and the staff were lovely, shame about the room!

The waterhead is definately miles better and I'm astounded at how this was cheaper than low wood but a higher standard and only a mile down the road. The room was double the size in comparisson and everything was brand spanking new and modern. Low wood surely did not gain the 4 star rating due to the rooms.

In summary......stay at the Waterhead hotel not Low wood

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, July 31, 2010
Dear Concerning Customer, we are very sorry you and the family did not enjoy all your experiences at the Low Wood Hotel, especially after enjoying so much our facilities at our sister hotel the Waterhead Hotel.

I read and conclude the main shortfall was the feature room you had been allocated. I wish we could have had the opportunity of maybe discussing this in person during your stay. We may have been able to offer an alterative room, but more importantly restored your faith in our product.

Being a member of the AA we are audited every year, and all facets of the business are reviewed in great detail and a AA bench mark must be maintained to achieve any star rating, I am sorry that on this occasion you found the room not to the AA 4 star awarded rating.

As outlined in the rest of your valued review, you did enjoy the majority of what we have to offer in service, quality and friendly staff.

Please do take the time to contact myself directly, I am more than happy to discuss any issues or shortfalls in service or accommodation.

Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery
YORKSHIRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

This Hotel is absolutely amazing. I have stayed here three times this year so far with both my daughter and my husband. They have some of the most amazing special offers which you can take advantage of which are available throughout the year. Their attention to detail in making your stay special is paramount to them and this shows in every way. The staff are so friendly and polite they are a credit to the hotel. The advantage of having an on site spa with pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, and an outside hot tub just add to the relaxation that Low Wood provides. The lounge areas are very peaceful looking out over Lake Windermere and dining here is not to be missed. Now we have found such a perfect place to stay in the Lakes we are already planning our next visit. You will not be disappointed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Frequent visitor, thank you for taking the time to write such a rewarding review.

I read with interest and pleasure you have enjoyed staying at the Low Wood Hotel on three occasions already this year and experienced on every occasion the same quality of service and attention to detail. We have a very friendly team with three goals, to exceed expectations, take pride in providing a relaxing environment with a friendly smile.

You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors.

Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again very soon, remember to check out our special package deals.

Kind regards Nevil Jeffery
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

The service was exceptional, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We were allocated a ground floor room at the rear of the hotel, which was perfect for us travelling with a toddler. The beds were really comfortable, the rooms really clean.

The leisure facilities are great and the childrens menu at the cafe was lovely and the food was great, although a tiny bit expensive.

I would recommend this hotel and would love to visit again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mrs E. Evans, thank you for taking the time to write this review, after you family two nights break at the hotel in room 309.

I read with interest and pleasure you enjoyed your stay and found all staff very friendly and helpful. The team are very pleased that you will have no hesitation in recommending the Low Wood Hotel to family and friends. Also ensure they book direct via the English Lakes Hotels web site, that way they also will be able to take advantage of our guaranteed rates and special packages.

I am sorry you found some of the food items a tiny bit expensive during your stay. I will ensure the pricing is reviewed and kept inline with market values and reduced if need be.

You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors, and most importantly corrective action or procedures reviewed as and when appropriate.

Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,598 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!