“Over priced , dissapointing rooms but staff very nice !!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Low Wood Bay
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Over priced , dissapointing rooms but staff very nice !!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

Just returned from Low Wood Hotel , a friends 50th birthday !! Booked a ' feature room ' , the price was £278 for 2 nights B & B . The feature was a free standing bath !! There was absolutely no view , just the car park !! I did expect a fridge but although I searched high and low I could not find one ! The bathroom was filthy , mould under the bath and pipes hidden under years of dust , after I complained I was told the bathroom would be given a deep clean , surely this should have been done before my arrival not halfway through it ! The window sills and ledges in the bedroom were also covered in dust with the odd cobweb hanging from the ceiling ! My dinner in the restaurant was very good but expensive ! Breakfast ok . Staff were very nice and friendly . The pool was very small and full of kids , changing room was tiny and not very clean . The other drawback was the very busy road immediately outside the hotel , trying to cross to go to the Lake was very precarious !!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
Dear concerning Customer. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the team at the hotel for the shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay. I can but only apologise for this being the case. The feature rooms are located throughout the hotel however the feature “lake view rooms” are limited these are generally requested upon booking. The hotel appreciates the need for a fridge in the room and are available from reception and mentioned in the guest compendium. We take on board your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and a thorough deep clean has been actioned. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
Nuneaton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

We visited Low Wood for a week in mid October 2009 and booked directly on the elh.co.uk site as this was much cheaper than any other web site we could find, there is a 50% discount available for most weeks for the B&B option. We chose the DB&B option which is an additional £20 per person per night. I phoned the hotel to check what you got for this £20 and was told it was a “£30 dinner allowance” each night, which seemed good value. We also opted for a courtyard room as these were bigger and newer than the rooms in the original hotel building, this was an additional £10 per night.
On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful and provided us with details of a walk from the hotel which we did the next day and this was very good.
The hotel location is very good on the lakeside and about a 15 minute walk to Lakeside.
Our room was good, it looked out onto countryside and towards the car park. It had most things we needed except for a fridge. Bathroom was good and well stocked with toiletries.
Breakfast was well organised, when the restaurant was very busy the staff were efficient at clearing tables. At the weekend there may be a queue to get in the restaurant but for these busy times then coffee was available in the lounge. We didn’t have to wait during our stay. There was a good selection of cold and hot food, great for lovers of the ‘full English’.
The dinner menu was more disappointing. The “£30 allowance” wasn’t as it seemed, you were actually allocated about £6 for starter, £16 for main meal, £6 for sweet. The inclusive menu was quite limited. There were some better food options for an additional charge, for example a steak would add about £2 to £8, whether you had used your allowance or not. If you decide to skip starter or sweet then you just lose money. The menu never changed for the week, the only variety being soup of the day. Quality of food was generally ok although sometimes a little bland. Personally I’d avoid the DBB option and use the Bistro next door and try some local restaurants, using the Low Wood restaurant once or twice and paying for what you have.
The internet access was very expensive at 25p per minute, which I explained to the hotel was the equivalent of a massive £360 for 24hrs, they told me the maximum charge was £15 every 24 hours. If you buy a coffee in the hotel lounge then you can get free wireless access but this isn’t as convenient as a room connection.
Overall it was very good, staff were very good, but I wouldn’t like to pay full price here.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Customer, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. The companies website does provide the greatest discount and the most up to date rates available. It was gratifying to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful and I am pleased you enjoyed your walk. I have passed on your comments regarding the inclusive dinner menu price to the food and beverage team who will review it’s current format. We are also looking into the internet charges for guest bedrooms with the possibility of reducing these costs in the near future. Once again I am pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

I wouldn't say this hotel is bad but I wouldn't say it was good either and expected more for £144.00 per night. The room we were allocated was very disappointing. It was very small, with very little light due to one small window in the corner of the room and the bathroom was also very small. Due to the location of the shower head which could not be adjusted the water went all over the bathroom floor which could be a bit of a hazard. The furniture was very shabby and had seen better days and only one chair was provided for a twin room. It was adequate for sleeping in but not for relaxing in. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided however, we were only provided with one sachet of ground coffee and the cafetiere was broken. We had to ask three times for a replacement and more coffee so based on this I cant really say that the service was good. We booked last minute so we were probably allocated the last room available. I think on booking you should be told this is not a very good room and perhaps offered it at a discounted rate to avoid disappointment. On a positive note the Hotel is in a lovely location and not far from Ambleside and Windermere although not as near as we were led to believe. Personally it is my opinion that due to the room this hotel is very disappointing considering the price.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here at the Low Wood Hotel. Customer feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. A Duty Manager is always available to speak to guests about any areas of concern during their stay and I’m sorry you did not take this opportunity. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
On Arron
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stated at the Low wood in October this year, the setting is absolutly wonderfull, and the breakfasts great, but thats where it ends. First night we used the in house resteraunt, a big mistake, I am lactose intolerent which I informed the reception when we checked in so they could inform the chef, they did not so when we arrived for our meal he was not prepared and could only offer me one starter and one main off the menu, and they both had to be served with out there sauce as this had Dairy in it.
There was no thought put into my meal it was obviously too much trouble.
I would not recommend the resteraunt if you have special dietary need.
Also we paid extra for a split level room which was poorly furnished, looks like they had remove a down stairs bed and put in s sofa thats all, and the cleanliness of the bathroom was lacking.
For what we pain this was not value for money!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here at the Low Wood Hotel. Customer feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team, especially concerning your dietary requirements as this is usually an area that we pride ourselves in. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
carmarthen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

wanted somewhere with a spa to relax on way back from dunhill links golf in carnoustie and despite some 'none too complementry reviews' decided to try low wood.booked into basic house room and arrived a day early.no problems they booked us in straight away! very comfy room(502).although only a basic room i wonder what some people actually do to need more space!!!! more than adeqaute,clean,tidy with decent bathroom! didnt eat in restaurant but breakfast was very enjoyable and cut down on lunch bills!!!
spa facilities also adeqaute for us. staff all over hotel very friendly and with a smile on their face...had to check out a day early and again no problems...will return after next years golf tournement.definately..

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Customer, thank you for a rewarding review especially about the friendliness of our team, breakfast and the leisure facilities. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you next year, good luck with the golf. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
hants
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed for 4 nights and didnt enjoy the hotel having read the reviews on here i had hoped for more.
First the bad:
The rooms are small and i was expecting this so this wasnt an issue. Our room had no view other than a section of roof and another building most room not overlooking the lake seemed to have poor views.

The bed was awful not only was it small it also had a very old matress the pillow were worse with all synthetic and lumpy. the hotel was also noisy so this didnt give us restful nights.

the restuarant was ok which given the price id ahve expectedd mroe, room server was very limited, food was poor and only avialble till midnight and after 8pm soup or a hot or coldsandwhich as the only option. At a £15 room charge id have expectedd more. the cafe was only open till 8pm so there wasnt much in the way of options. the restruant also seemed to run out of food regualalry the weggie fry up at breaskfast wasnt avialble during most of our stay.

Now on to the good stuff:
the staff were all freiendly and polite, the hotel was clean.
the gym and pool were excellent with a good range of cardio machines and a pool large enough to do lengths, the sauna and steam room were small which wasnt an issue as it was quite when i was there. the outside hot tub was broken which isnt an issue parat from the fact the sign looked as if it had been there for some time!

I cant recommend the hotel as the basics of food and rest are not fullfilled.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Dear Guest, I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here at the Low Wood Hotel. Customer feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. I do however thank you for the kind comments made regarding the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel, the pool and the gym. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
north east
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

we stayed at Low Wood during the Great North Swim weekend as my husband was taking part. It was obviously going to be very busy so went with an open mind not to expect too much. However from arriving with our 8 year old daughter and family dog could not fault anything. We arrived early and our room was ready which was clean, comfortable and everything you would expect. The lake view was breathtaking. We made use of the leisure facilities which were also very good the pool and the gym. The breakfast was very good and the choice for both adults and children were varied. I loved this hotel and usually would find something to have a little niggle about but not here. I will definately come back for the event and will book again at the end of the year. I usually do center parcs but the staff, accomodation and how friendly everyone was towards my daughter and family pet has made up my mind to return here. Well done.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for your rewarding review, especially regarding the team, the accommodation and leisure facilities. The Great North Swim was a great success and we look forward to hosting the event again next year, I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back. It was gratifying to read that both your daughter and dog enjoyed their stay, as you know we make every effort to ensure they are catered for. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and the board of directors. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,598 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!