“My all round fave UK hotel”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have dropped into this hotel many times over the years and it remains my number #1. I love it, it is in superb decorative order (inspired by the arts and crafts style). Warm, professional and skilled staff (on all levels). Smashing restaurant with lake views. nice bar and a the bolt on spa whilst a little of the 80's is always clean and smart. The pub associated is also warm and friendly. The rooms we have been given are always to a good standard with plenty of space. Lots of parking and over the road is a well equipped water sports centre so if you want to hit the lake there are lots of choices. I wish I could afford to visit more often. I hope they don't mind me saying, but I have found that in the summer it is popular for weddings at weekends, and as such the rooms often get block booked on Staturday. This prevents most prospective Lakes weekender's from choosing the hotel. If you are flexible on your date, can tie it in with a wedding and are OK with Friday night only you can live it up a little get a cracking deal in a very smart hotel

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jonathan r
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Once again thank you for visiting Low Wood Bay, its always pleasing to welcome back regular visitors. The team are very happy once again you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming back again soon. On the affordable note, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly at the Resort and I would be more than happy to personally take care of your booking arrangements.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed here for a 2 night break taking advantage of a winter deal that included bed, breakfast and 3 course evening meal. We had a room overlooking the lake, number 37 highly recommended as the view is stunning and even in February there were people in the water jet flying and skiing. Our room was comfortable with a spacious bathroom and walk in wardrobe with a safe and free wi fi available.

We made good use of the facilities including the leisure spa and enjoyed having massages as well as using the steam and sauna. The staff in the spa were very professional. In fact all the staff are very good throughout the hotel.

We ate in the restaurant both nights. The food was very good with lots of options for meat and vegetarians and an excellent wine list. The portions were ample, in fact too much for the both of us in that on the second night we opted not to have a starter. Service was very good and on the second night there was a large party booked in around the time we had chosen to dine and the staff made sure we didn't have to wait for our food.

We used the bar both days and it also has great views across the lake. It also serves food. We did have tea and scones one afternoon, delicious.

You could really stay here and not go out anywhere, just enjoy being pampered and relax. Great thing to do in the winter.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

It’s rewarding to read you both enjoyed one of our year round breaks, inclusive of dinner in our Windermere Restaurant. Yes room 37 along with many of our old house rooms are lovely and benefiting from views across the Lake. You will be pleased to learn the Jet pack water activity will be running full time over the spring and summer period, although I have not tried myself yet, I will be soon. Again thanks you for your rewarding review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Our company is employed to provide the Audio Visual requirements for a major conference event held annually at the Low Wood Bay. On arrival the staff where helpful and cooperative while we set up for the event the next day.
Check in was quick and the room was clean but a little dated! Not as good as the room we had last year! The bed was very small and somewhat uncomfortable, hence I didn't get a really good nights sleep. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety.
On the day of the event there was some issue with the heating which took a couple of hours to sort out, there was also a minor issue with a power socket on the back wall of the conference room which I was told by ever so helpful conference staff was scheduled to be sorted out.
Dinner was not my cup of tea, so a bit disappointing. Overall I felt standards where not as good as last year, and I understand my client had a similar view, however I am confident that the Low Wood will address the issues brought to their attention and look I forward to next year event.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this review after attending as a supplier for a large conference that took place at the hotel during January. I am sorry to learn your room was not as nice as the previous year. I am however very pleased to report we have refurbished almost all of our rooms over the last 12 months and we will be continuing the investment in the coming 12 months. As a very popular Resort hotel the investment takes time, and can only be achieved in quieter periods. The heating issue has been fixed, and we have not experienced any issues since, I am sorry this was not the case on the day in question. Your comments although valid are incorrectly written as I have personally talked with the client and they had been very happy.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Low Wood Bay and had a wonderful time.

We were unhappy with some of the aspects of our original room allocation but this was swiftly sorted and we were allocated a different room by Laura on reception who is a credit to the hotel.

Our room was spacious, warm and very comfortable.

We enjoyed the on-site swimming facilites and the outside hot tub was lovely even though it was raining, we were still cosy and warm in the tub...recommended.

The breakfast was wonderful with a huge choice and we really enjoyed our evening meal.The staff are very attentive and helpful, I intend to visit again and look forward to doing so soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Low Wood, I was sorry to hear that you had issues with your initial room. However it was good to hear that Laura on reception sorted the problem for you. I have passed on your comments to Laura and nominated her for a +1 award which is the company recognition program for staff who works hard to exceed our guest expectations.

I am pleased that the issues with the original room did not affect your stay here at the Low Wood. I am pleased that you found your new room to be spacious and comfortable. The leisure club is very welcoming and I’m glad you had the opportunity to use the facilities especially the out door hot tub even if it was raining!!! It was also good to hear that you found the rest of the staff here to be very attentive and you also thought that the food was wonderful especially breakfast.

You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Once again thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

I attended a conference (including overnight stay) at the Low Wood. I found the whole hotel experience to be first class.
The facilities were comfortable, the food excellent, the staff warm and friendly and the bedroom absolutely perfect. I was given a room with four poster bed - lovely.
The service ran very smoothly.
My only area of concern was the size of reception. The staff worked tirelessly, but there is only so much that can be done with two tills - the area was queued out during much of the day.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank david8242
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. It was great to read that your recent overnight conference visit was of a first class standard. I am pleased to read that you thought our staff was friendly, the food was of excellent quality and our facilities were comfortable.

We will take on board your comments about the reception area. All comments are passed on to senior management and directors. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Superb location, All staff, very well presented and trained. Bar, Restaraunt, Lounges provide a very relaxing experience.

Pool and Spa - very clean and well supervised. The Outside spa is lovely especially on a cold winter night...after a long walk.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Very regular guest, Once again thank you so much for your wonderful review – It is always good to receive feedback from our guests but even better when it is from returning guests. It was once again great to read that you found the staff to provide a good service. I am also pleased to hear that you found our restaurant, bar and lounge areas could provide a relaxing atmosphere. I will ensure your comments are passed on to our team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We have just spent Saturday night at Low Wood and once again found it to be excellent. There is always space in the car park and the staff are always courteous and helpful with a welcome smile on check-in. We were early and our room wasn't ready so we went for a walk along the lake to Ambleside which was lovely as the weather was cold but dry. We returned to the hotel and went to our room which was in the courtyard and very quiet. We used the leisure facilities and found them to be very clean as always. We ate at the restaurant and the food was of very good quality. We each had a steak and they were cooked just as we asked. The wine list is extensive but not too pricey and we enjoyed a bottle of red for just under £20. Again the staff were lovely and very attentive. The breakfast the next morning was full of choices and although very busy on the morning we were there nothing was too much trouble for the staff and all the dishes were regularly topped up. All in all a brilliant weekend once again and we will be back!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear regular guest, Once again thank you so much for your wonderful review – It is always good to receive feedback from our guests but even better when it is from returning guests. It was once again great to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay especially the friendly and helpful staff, good quality food and clean leisure facilities. I will ensure your comments are passed on to our team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson