“A weekend stay at a superb Lakeside hotel”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a superb hotel with large reception and lounge bar areas, and a fabulous location close to the lakeside of Lake Windermere, just outside Ambleside. The hotel has a long history, being 300 years old, but has been added to with modern extensions over the years, creating a hotel with 111 bedrooms, which makes it one of the top 10 largest hotels in the Lakes. I cannot fault the service here, which was excellent. The staff are attentive, friendly and clearly well trained. There is a large restaurant where we ate breakfast both mornings. It was busy, but everything ran like clockwork. As well as hot and cold buffets, there were other hot breakfast choices that could be cooked to order. I enjoyed two visits to the modern Spa, where there is an indoor swimming pool, indoor and outdoor Jacuzzis, gym, sauna, steam room and beauty rooms. Again, excellent service. I had a back and neck massage which was excellent. I have given the hotel excellent scores for many aspects of our stay, but the only reason I have not rated the hotel excellent overall, is because I would describe our room as very good, rather than excellent. It was clean, generously proportioned and well positioned, but a fraction dated and I do not feel it merits a 10 out of 10 score. However, I would happily visit this hotel again and would like to say "thankyou" to all the staff, if any of them are reading this review.

Room Tip: Just specify the type of room you would like. We were at the front of the hotel, which had lake view...
1  Thank lmclight
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent thoughtful review about hotel, it was very pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and its facilities including the leisure club with lovely beauty treatments, various pools and Jacuzzi / hot tubs, as well as the amazing views and fabulous location.

It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed the restaurant and the breakfast on both mornings as well as the hotel’s 300 year old history. But I am especially grateful for your comments about our team, we are very proud of them and I agree they are attentive and friendly, and I would like to think we train them very well.

On another note our team do regularly read trip advisor as does the General Manager and each department manager at the hotel so I can assure you your comments will be passed on. Once again thank you and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked into this hotel based on the recommendation of a friend, and were not disappointed. The location is beautiful, with a stunning lakeside setting, and yet within very easy reach of Ambleside town centre. We found the room to be comfortable, well equipped, very clean and pleasingly spacious. The spa facilities, housed in a standalone building, are amongst the best we've experienced in any hotel, with a particular highlight being the outdoor hot tub. Although it's not cheap, it is simply brilliant, and highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review about hotel, it was great to read that you enjoyed the beautiful views as well as the room and your experiences in the leisure club. I agree then hot tub is wonderful and is definitely charming. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed August 31, 2013

First of all I would like to say a huge thank you to all of the staff at Low Wood Bay for making our wedding day so special.

My husband and I had our hearts set on getting married at the hotel due to its beautiful surroundings and we were not disappointed by the internal aspects of the hotel! The excellent mix of a traditional and yet contemporary decoration inside is lovely. The restaurant provided a great venue for the wedding breakfast and the gallery upstairs was perfect for our ceremony. The whole day ran smoothly and I felt completely at ease, knowing that I was in the very capable hands of Rea and David.

This is was not really a surprise due to the fantastic organisation and planning skills of the wedding coordinators Gemma and Rea. No question was a silly one and although I often worried I was being a nuisance, my concerns and suggestions were always responded to promptly and professionally. I really cannot thank Rea and Gemma enough, they turned our visions into a reality in such a beautiful hotel.

Many of our guests travelled from far and near to join us on our day. They were as impressed with the venue as much as we were and all were very complimentary about the wedding events and the hotels services.

There are many venues available for weddings in this area, but I would strongly recommend the Low Wood to anyone who is planning a holiday, wedding or other special occasion.

I will look back on our wedding day with the fondest of memories.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sarah H, thank you for your wonderful and heartfelt review about your wedding day at Low Wood. I am so pleased that you chose Low Wood Bay for your special day not only due to the wonderful surroundings!

I am glad that on the day you were well looked after by Rea and David but I will also ensure your comments are read by the whole team, and on behalf of the team thank you. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your wedding day at the hotel.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had our weddding at the Low Wood Bay hotel. Absolutely fantastic help from the day we booked, with planning etc. Staff very helpful and friendy, make you feel very special.
Hotel its self is very well appointed, restaurant very good, breakfast very good. Bar is lovely.
We had many guests who travelled from far, all really loved the hotel and its setting.
Can only recommend - wish we could do it agian!

Massive thank you to Gemma, Rea, MC David & Chloe (at the Spa).

Room Tip: Lake view rooms at the front of the old building are fantastic
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear newlywed, thank you for your amazing review about your wedding day at Low Wood. I am so pleased that you chose Low Wood Bay for your special day. It was certainly a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day.

I know Gemma, Rea David, Chloe and the team will read your review, and on behalf of the team thank you. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspect of your wedding day at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your first wedding anniversary in 2014. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Really enjoyed our overnight stay at the Low Wood Hotel. Great deal with away with kids offer, Gorgeous hotel, friendly staff offering special little goody bags for the children on arrival. If its good enough for Prince Charles, Princess Anne & Seb Coe I think it's good enough for us. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you so much for such a rewarding review, I am pleased you enjoyed your break at the hotel on the recent “Away with the kids” offer. It was great to read that you really did enjoy your stay and that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff and the stunning views!.

It seems you may have had chance to read the book on the history of the building, whereby you mention the famous names and faces we have had the pleasure of looking after over the years.

You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Please check out the special offers page on our website for more exciting discounted offers. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Had an excellent spa day at the Low Wood Bay Hotel in Windermere on 15th August 2013. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the treatments were amazing. Would definitely recommend visiting this hotel if you get the chance :) x

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent outstanding review about hotel which you visited on your recent Spa day, You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My daughter was married here last week. In the build up to the big day I was continuously impressed by the warm welcome we received on our many visits here to discuss the wedding . The wedding planners Gemma and Rea are amazing and made planning the wedding easy. Dawid the MC was efficient too. The actual wedding day was fantastic. The organisation, the food, the efficiency and the care and support we received. Many of our guests stayed and none of them wanted to leave. Lots of the rooms in the main building had special features like sunken baths, spa baths and lake views. My room had a four poster bed with beautiful linen and little touches like complimentary Kendal mint cake, bath robes, Molton Brown toiletries and the soft toy sheepdog who guarded the room! Breakfast was lovely, a vast array of choice and even fried bread when I asked for it. The staff had set aside an area for our wedding guests which was a nice touch.The leisure centre was excellent. I even joined in an aqua aerobics class the morning after the wedding. Sadly the outdoor hot tub was having work done on it but the jacuzzi was good. The coffee bar was pleasant and reasonably priced. Every staff member was courteous, caring and helpful. My one disappointment was that during the wedding speeches there was no sound cable provided which meant sound quality was very poor. Something to work on for future weddings. The setting of this hotel is wonderful with a Marina and water-sports centre just across the road. My one regret is that I didn't have enough time to appreciate what the hotel has to offer as I was busy at the wedding. Something I hope to rectify in the future!

Room Tip: Ask for a feature room in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest, thank you for your wonderful review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your daughters wedding as well as what can some times be a stressful build up to the bug day as well as all aspects of your stay. It is always a pleasure to host weddings and even better to receive wonderful feedback, not only from the bride and groom but from their friends and family.

I will most certainly ensure your comments are passed on to Gemma and her team as well as Dawid and all of his team. It was great to read that you were able to make use of the facilities especially the leisure club. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you all again in the near future.

Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

P.S Glad you enjoyed the well earnt fried bread!