“Lovely stay.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester
“Lovely stay.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I went on a last minute booking for my birthday.
The room was spotless and modern.
Food at breakfast was excellent.
Fantastic location with stunning views of the lake, and very easy to get to.
The spa is great, and the outdoor hot tub really relaxing.
Would return without hesitation.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and the lovely comments about hotel I am pleased that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Thai first
Herts
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We travelled up from London for a night last weekend to check out the Low Wood with the view of staying for 3 nights over Christmas.

I was very hopeful having read many positive reviews that this would be the hotel for us but unfortunately it was not to be.

It's just a very average hotel with nothing much going for it apart from the lovely view of the Lake. But even that is blighted by a very busy main road. I agree with the previous review - they really should invest in some type of pedestrian crossing.

The restaurant and food were ok - I think this and the pool and marina facilities let this hotel scrape into the 4* category. The rooms however are certainly 3 star. Our rooms were upgraded but they were still pretty grim.

The staff were lovely and friendly. The restaurant staff were very attentive and the reception staff were quick to bring up the fan I requested at about midnight.

Also, I was impressed that even though there was a wedding going on, the hotel was big enough that the wedding party were kept completely separate - you wouldn't have known there was a wedding going on!

Sorry Low Wood, we won't be returning for Christmas.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review, and for visiting the hotel with the view to spending Christmas here. I was delighted to read that like the vast majority of other on line reviews you think the team at the hotel were lovely and friendly. However I was disappointed that you will not be spending Christmas with us.

With reference to the rooms we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading, I am sorry that you did not mention your views to us as we would have been more than happy to discuss this with you in person and show you the work we have already achieved.

Regarding the road between the hotel and the lake we have applied for various safety measures but have been unfortunate in having any of these accepted. I am sorry that you felt the hotel is not suitable for your needs for Christmas, we do have a very busy itinerary for your guests, if you would like to discuss this in more detail please feel free to contact me directly. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed here with a party of 20 people. The hotel itself is lovely but the food really let it down.

We stayed in the really hot weather. On arrival the hotel check in staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was lovely.
The hotel was set back from Lake Windermere over a very busy, dangerous road with no pavements. A massive improvement would be to put a crossing outside the hotel.

We had dinner and breakfast on both nights and this is what really let the hotel down. The Pork on the first night was as tough as old shoes, the chicken was only just cooked and the rest was tasteless and bland.
Breakfast wasn't anything special either. The fry up was either dried out or over greasy. The toaster took two attempts to cook the bread and the cold buffet was not laid out very well.

Apart from that, it was a lovely trip, the staff are very friendly and very helpful. If like us your room was too hot, they are more than welcome to bring a fan to your room.

The swimming pool is small but had an outdoor hot tub!

I would recommend this hotel, but on B&B basis only.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at Low Wood Bay as part of a group of 20 people. I am pleased that you enjoyed your spacious clean room and that the found all the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I was however sorry to read that you felt the food let us down, we normally receive very favourable comments regarding our food. I was not aware that your group experienced any issues during your stay so I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you, so that we can ensure improvements are made where necessary, please feel free to contact me at any time convenient to yourself.

Regarding the road between the hotel and the lake we have applied for various safety measures but have been unfortunate in having any of these accepted. I hope that I get the opportunity to speak to you in person and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back the hotel in the future, kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Bolton-Le-Sands, Lancs, England
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I took my unwell mum for 2 nights at the Low Wood for her to have a change of scene...and waht an amazing scene we had! The Hotel itself is just sublime given its location (we were upgraded to a Lake view room - stunning! But just as amazing was the unobtrusive, first class service we got from all staff (special mention of Helen who is a real credit to the Hotel and overall business). Food was superb. Value was equally brilliant. I could go on but for what was a really important 2 days for my Mum, the Low Wood exceeded every expectation. MANY thanks to all those there.

Room Tip: Obviously, if you get a Lake view room, it is all the more impressive.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DomMellonie
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear guest, thank you so much for such a rewarding review I am pleased to hear that you and you’re your poorly mum had such a wonderful stay, I am pleased that you enjoyed the location the complimentary upgrade and that you found the food superb.

It ws especially pleasing to read that you felt you received first class service from our team but especially from Helen, I have passed on your comments to Helen and nominated her for a +1 award which is the company recognition program for staff who work hard to exceed our guest expectations.

You may be interested to know that all reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Once again thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We hope to welcoming you and you mum back to the hotel once again in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Rotherham
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is on a very busy road across from Lake Windermere but is only a 20 minute walk in to Ambleside. The reception rooms are lovely expecially the restaurant. Food and service was excellent and the staff were very nice.

Only problem was the rooms which were clean but dated, no sky t.v, no fridge, no air conditioning.

Not great value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review with particular mention of the food in the Windermere restaurant and the service provided. With reference to the rooms being dated we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading.

Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. Should you wish to stay at the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me in person whereby I will be only too happy ensure you are given the best room type available and in one of our newly upgraded rooms, Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Cherry Burton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a last minute booking for a short break and was excellent value for money. The hotel and its facilities was first class with beautiful views of the lake which was enhanced by the wonderful weather we had. The restaurant and food was was excellent. I would definately stay there again and wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the views of the lake are breath taking, it did help we were there when the sun was shining but even on wet day the views would be great. Ensure you pay the extra for a lake view. But that comes with a noisy road, which is in fact hard to cross....with no crossing!

The room was a little dated, and not that large. The hotel closed the restaurant at 9.00 pm and even closed the extra bar on a Saturday night. If you wanted a swim without kids which were allowed in till 8pm, you had to swim, sauna etc and change in an hr.
The pool is good for a hotel. The food in the restaurant and the service when you get to use it was very good however one massive problem was the vegetarian menu, the pasta dish was shown as topped with parmesan, and it wasn't vegetarian !!!!!! But the waitress had to ask the chef to check. However at breakfast the vegetarian menu was kept separate to the meat!

Overall if it wasn't for the great view and location this wasn't the best hotel but was ok.

Room Tip: Lake view a must......as long as you can take the road noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Firstly I would like to thank you for your review and for the lovely comments regarding the location and views as well as the food and service in the Windermere restaurant, I was however very sorry to read that you felt the opening times for our leisure club were not suitable with regard to when children are allowed to access the pool, we do look at the opening times from all of our guest perspectives and feel that we have created a good balance for both individual guest and families, I will however ensure your comments are passed on for discussion.

I would also like to add that your valuable feedback has been discussed with our menu planning teams, the vegetarian choices will be the a serious focus on the next menu planning meeting which is due in the next week, once again thank you for your invaluable feedback. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.