“Basic”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is an average tourist hotel. Staff are friendly. Nothing exciting about food. Views of lake forefront of hotel superb but the main road between hotel and lake is a real drawback. Perfect as a base for touring but not really value for money.

1  Thank seanpmoran
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for the review - You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Having now stayed at the Low Wood on a number of occasions this latest visit was not a disappointment. However, for the first time ever we took advantage of one of the 'offers', for which we were 'relegated' to the fifth floor of the 'house' - wouldn't recommend this, especially if the lift breaks down! Breakfast excellent, dinner reasonable, service generally good. Some parts of the hotel are beginning to look as though a new lick of paint wouldn't come amiss, but that's probably being over fussy and used to hotels outside the UK!

Room Tip: Avoid the fifth floor in 'the house' - like being 'in the attic'
1  Thank Alan M

Dear regular guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that you once again chose Low Wood Bay as a place to enjoy a short break. As you know from previous stays we do have many different room types and “House” rooms are quite often those associated with special offers that we have. I am sorry that you felt the room you were allocated was not up to our usual standard and I can assure you that next time you wish to stay we will ensure you are not allocated the same rooms type (just mention it on booking).

I was pleased however that overall you enjoyed your stay. Once again, many thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you again soon for another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Low Wood hotel several times over the past few years, the last time being October 2011. The hotel is set on the shore of Windermere, halfway between Bowness and Ambleside, which makes it a great base for exploring the Lake District.

The hotel has its own leisure facilities including a pool, gym and sauna. There is also an outdoor hot-tub overlooking the lake. We have stayed in several rooms, all have been of a nice size and decor, but needless to say the rooms overlooking the lake have the best view. Breakfast is served in the main dining room and is fantastic - you will not go hungry! We have never had dinner here, but the food has always looked good.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a good quality hotel to enjoy the delights of the lakes. We will be back soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear regular guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful review about your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and used the time here to enjoy all of the hotels facilities, as well as make the most of the wonderful surrounding areas. Once again, many thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you again soon for another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Excellent two night stay for my wife's birthday. Staff as friendly and efficient as ever and breakfast and dinner the highlight. Room not the biggest we have had at the hotel in the past but still very pleasant and very clean. We look forward to being back at the hotal soon!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear regular guest, thank you so much for the review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay for your wifes birthday. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband & I took my brother Hereford last minute stay for one night.

The hotel was cleans running, clean and had a lovely setting. We used all leisure facilities and again they were spic and span. The food too was lovely, lots of choice.

Our room was a great size and the staff service was great, the bar staff, room service staff and breakfast team were all pleasant.

We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my son for my brothers wedding. The wedding was due to start at 3pm only to be told we couldnt check in till 3pm. Having no time to prepare for a very important day. Hence i had to sit in reception and keep pushing the receptionist for times. The staff were very ubfriendly and seemed to not really want to help. The foreign staff were by far the nicest ones there. The wedding day was fantastic because friends and family made it. I am a wedding co-ordinator and i have never been anywhere so unorganised and unfriendly.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank KellyAndkian

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review, I am sorry that, unlike the vast majority of our guests and online reviewers, you didn't enjoy your stay with us. For your benefit and that of the TA community, I would like to address the points you have raised in your review.

First and foremost, I apologise that you felt our team are not very friendly and that we caused stress on your brothers wedding day. Having looked into your booking I have found that all room keys were issued and guest checked in by 1.30pm that day although our check in policy clearly states that rooms are not guaranteed until 3pm, where possible will we will try to allow guests into their rooms earlier, the earliest time however is 2pm.

On the day of your brothers wedding we had a full hotel departure and a full hotel arrive, this is always made clear to guest on bookings, we do also stress this point to all guest attending weddings. We do also provide a changing room for guest attending weddings on the day but do strongly advise if they are wishing to ensure they are ready earlier for the wedding that they book in the night before.

Your point regarding the wedding day only being fantastic due to the guest and not because of the hotel saddens me as we host over 50 weddings a year and to date we have not had an unsuccessful wedding and to the best of mine and the teams knowledge your brothers wedding day was enjoyed very much by all.

I do hope that the above goes some way in explaining the upset you feel has been caused.

Thank you once again for your review.
Kind regards – Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in August. There were definite pluses: the location, the breakfast, the pool and hot tubs, and our contact with the staff, though minimal, was fine. However, our so-called superior room was decidedly shabby and tired - scratched furniture, stained curtains, that sort of thing. And does anyone really want to buy a fluffy dog, left on the bed, for £15?....not sure, but it may have been a pyjama case. Worst of all, having booked some months ahead, we paid £633 for 3 nights bed and breakfast which was way, way more than I overheard others paying at checkout. I know that's a chance you take, and all hotels have to have offers to fill rooms as best they can, but we felt thoroughly ripped off and won't return.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zangreen
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Guest, I was pleased to read that you found our location, breakfast, leisure facilities and staff a plus point although I am sorry that, unlike the vast majority of our guests and online reviewers, you didn't enjoy your stay with us and did not feel it was worth the money. The hotel does have 111 bedrooms with over 5 different room types ranging from a house room up to a feature lake view room, all of which carry different prices and special offers, this being the reason that some guest may pay more or less than other guests.

With reference to the quality of the room we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms we believe are in need of upgrading, I am unable to ascertain the room you were in from the information provided in your review. However we are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive and I am unable to find in our guest history any concerns of the nature you described, if you did bring this to our attention I am confident we would have been able to better meet your needs and ensure you did enjoy your stay.

I read with concern that you said you will not be willing to stay at the hotel again, should you change your mind about this please do not hesitate to contact me personally where I will be only to happy to . Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.