“What's bad about U.K. tourism”
Review of Lakes Lodge

Lakes Lodge
Ranked #95 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“What's bad about U.K. tourism”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The guy who runs this place is a complete nutter who provided us with one of the most hilarious breakfasts you could wish to have.He advised one Japanese lady not to order the full English unless she could eat it all,and another was told, when she asked if she could have two ash-browns instead of one of the other items,that no,you are only allowed one.He is obviously a control freak with notices every-where and blames all the faults on the fact that the building is 150 years old.Solution, sell the place to some-one who can afford to run it properly.Avoid like the plague a sad reflection to the rest of the world as an example of British tourism facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Tim M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The people at the hotel could not be more helpful or friendly. The single room was respectively tiny and small, but with all amenities incl. a comfortable en-suite shower room and very clean. Breakfast was good and service was friendly. I would definitely stay again and recommend this property to anyone looking for value for money. Location is excellent, too; close to train, bus, shops, entertainment, pubs etc. They also run some great minibus tours of the Lakes and mountains, saving you driving yourself so that you can enjoy the lovely scenery in this area.

Room Tip: Excellent value for money, with minibus tours from hotel,
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul J
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The people at the hotel could not be more helpful or friendly, but if I had seen the size of the room before I booked, I never would have stayed there. It was like sleeping in a wardrobe with the bathroom taking up half of it. You had to climb over the bed to get to the kettle and fridge Did appreciate having a fridge and kettle but eating in the room was not allowed so fridge was of little use. My window opened onto a very dirty little square and you needed to open for fresh air because of the room size. Did not feel very secure at night sleeping on the ground floor with the window open and of course very noisey. Heard people talking late into the night.
The room looked dated and had stains on the wall and the carpets might have been clean but did not definitely look it neither did the bathroom.
Breakfast was basic, only ate a hot breakfast the first morning, after that I stuck to cereal and toast. Scrambled eggs were micowaved, do not like microwaved eggs came out the shape of the bowl they were cooked in and typically microwave dry, the tomato and mushrooms a little oily for me. Toast was extremely thin, I always thought toast should be thick sliced bread, thats why they call it Toast Cut. Cereal was supplied, but no fruit and yoghurt choice, well there was none.
I would not advise staying here and I will not again. But as with all reviews the choice is yours.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in Room 9 (The Wardrobe)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank PillyLondon

Travelers are raving about these Windermere hotels

Rønne, Denmark
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Together with a friend, I booked a room with Lakes Hotel (Lakes Lodge) via booking.com in February for a stay in March (arriving Friday departing Sunday), as we were attending a workshop nearby. My friend travelled from London, I arrived by air and travelled through Manchester airport. Because of adverse weather conditions (and warnings of severe disruptions on the day of our travel), we were anxious whether we could arrive prior to 8 pm, which was the latest check-in time. My friend contacted the hotel twice (once before setting off from London, the second time while at Manchester airport) and both times received friendly and helpful advice. The situation was resolved satisfactorily, so we could let ourselves in.
The two single rooms were respectively tiny and small, but with all amenities incl. a comfortable en-suite shower room and very clean. Breakfast was good and service was friendly. I would definitely stay again and recommend this property to anyone looking for value for money. Location is excellent, too; close to train, bus, shops, entertainment, pubs etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sense_of_Tourism
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Spent a night here whilst visiting friends who live locally. I have to say that we'd be booked and THEN looked at the reviews on here.

We were pleasantly surprised. The location is great, right in the heart of Windermere, whilst the rooms won't be to everyone's taste, they are a good size, clean and comfortable. I had a slight concern about staying a basement room but this was unfounded and it was quiet and comfy.

Breakfast was substantial, well cooked with plenty of choice. Yes there's a limited time to have breakfast and it is early, but forewarned is forearmed and it did suit us.

As for the owner, well regardless of what the comments are on here, we found him to be friendly, helpful and welcoming; taking us to our room and making sure we knew where everything was and he works bloomin' hard from what we can tell.

So if you want to stay somewhere that's relatively cheap and cheerful, in the centre of Windermere with a hearty breakfast then this is your place. My advice is to check out their website and the photos first and then decide if this place is for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WaltonA
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just spent a last minute booking night at this hotel, I can honestly say I don't understand the negative reviews I've read. We were greeted in pleasant manner, the room was very clean and warm, bed comfortable and breakfast excellent. Money well spent and would definitely stay again.
Wendy and Ian Williams.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank wendyannwills
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Wendy & Ian,
Thank you for your lovely review we are always pleased when guests have enjoyed their stay with us. It was wonderful to have you stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for a return visit.

We don't understand the negative reviews either as I have mentioned in some of my responses.
Thank you for again for taking the trouble to write this review and we wish you all the best until we see you again.

Marie and Andy
Aughton
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Without prejudice
I have not had a lot of luck in my life however I feel so lucky not to have stopped here, on the date we were due to travel we were unable to do so because of the freak snow fall, the heaviest for a number of years. We contacted Lakes Lodge to inform them of our position with a view to rearranging another date for our stay.
We were hoping they would be helpful and very understanding, unfortunately this was not the case. When we asked to rearrange our date we were informed bluntly " we are fully booked for the year" there was no effort made on the part of the Lakes Lodge to assist us, they were more than happy to take our money without providing a service " it's not our fault it snowed" they stated you lose your money because did not turn up. I could go on and on but that would mean repeating the foul and abusive language that was used towards my Son-in law.
They are of course ( as far as I am aware) within their rights to keep our payment, however it does tell one something about the people you are dealing with when booking a stay in a establishment that has mixed reviews on this site.
Thank goodness we were forced to stop at home, it would ave been the longest night ever if I had stayed in this so called Lodge. You have been warned. A full no Star rating.

Room Tip: Stop Somewhere decent.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Paul M
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your anonymous review. Firstly I would like to point out to anyone reading this review that you did not stay at this establishment and therefore have no right nor are you qualified to give a star rating. Also that the owners of the establisment have never met you and that we never never use foul language in telephone conversations to anyone no matter what the circumstances.
I am surprised Trip Advisor have published this review since it is "personal" and nothing to do with the establisment which is supposedly against their policy.
You actually did not make your reservation with us but through an agent who explains quite plainly the conditions which apply. You are asked to read these conditions before confirming the reservation.
One such condition, set by the agent and not by us, are the cancellation policy terms and conditions and that 72 hours notice must be given for a refund. No such cancellation was submitted by you until the day of arrival which is in breach of the conditions under which you made the reservation.
You state that the reason for the cancellation was the weather which was not your fault. I can assure you that it was not our fault either. In fact many of our guests managed to arrive despite the conditions.
We are held under the same set of rules in accepting bookings by the agent as you are in making the bookings and any hotel will follow the same policy on cancellations outside of the time limits laid down. Not just us but every hotel or B & B in the world.
You say we were happy to take your money without providing a service. To put the matter straight we did actually provide the service you reserved and paid for. If you did not arrive to receive this service then nevertheless the service was still provided and available to you..
You state that we were not understanding , actually we were but like I said above we are held to the cancellation policy and have to pay out the commission to the agents you booked through. We could not re book you for another date since we are only small and indeed booked on most nights from now until Christmas. We are after all trying to run a business here.
You also state that to go on and on you would have to use "foul and abusive language" WHY?
This is simply not true and a complete fabrication; you are not being honest, all because you found yourself in breach of the conditions of the reservation you made. I repeat that no one here ever uses foul and abusive language. On the contrary when you spoke to my wife, who happened to answer you call on the reception desk, was so distressed by the way you were speaking to her, she said to you " I am sorry I do not want to continue with this conversation." which tells us something about the people we were dealing with. She is still upset about it.

To sum up the whole unfortunate affair you are upset with yourselves for not being able to honour the booking you made with the booking agent and you did also threaten, over the phone, that you were going to use Trip Advisor to get back at us, which is totally unfair, using Trip Advisor in this way tells me and everybody else exactly, that you have written this invented review to vent off your frustration with yourselves.
I consider this whole review a complete load of spiteful nonsense .
We were glad of your custom and we were prepared to welcome you to our establishment as bone-fida guests. You say you were glad you did not come, but we would have been happy to have you.

Alas!