“So Glad.”

Aughton
“So Glad.”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Without prejudice
I have not had a lot of luck in my life however I feel so lucky not to have stopped here, on the date we were due to travel we were unable to do so because of the freak snow fall, the heaviest for a number of years. We contacted Lakes Lodge to inform them of our position with a view to rearranging another date for our stay.
We were hoping they would be helpful and very understanding, unfortunately this was not the case. When we asked to rearrange our date we were informed bluntly " we are fully booked for the year" there was no effort made on the part of the Lakes Lodge to assist us, they were more than happy to take our money without providing a service " it's not our fault it snowed" they stated you lose your money because did not turn up. I could go on and on but that would mean repeating the foul and abusive language that was used towards my Son-in law.
They are of course ( as far as I am aware) within their rights to keep our payment, however it does tell one something about the people you are dealing with when booking a stay in a establishment that has mixed reviews on this site.
Thank goodness we were forced to stop at home, it would ave been the longest night ever if I had stayed in this so called Lodge. You have been warned. A full no Star rating.

Room Tip: Stop Somewhere decent.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Paul M
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your anonymous review. Firstly I would like to point out to anyone reading this review that you did not stay at this establishment and therefore have no right nor are you qualified to give a star rating. Also that the owners of the establisment have never met you and that we never never use foul language in telephone conversations to anyone no matter what the circumstances.
I am surprised Trip Advisor have published this review since it is "personal" and nothing to do with the establisment which is supposedly against their policy.
You actually did not make your reservation with us but through an agent who explains quite plainly the conditions which apply. You are asked to read these conditions before confirming the reservation.
One such condition, set by the agent and not by us, are the cancellation policy terms and conditions and that 72 hours notice must be given for a refund. No such cancellation was submitted by you until the day of arrival which is in breach of the conditions under which you made the reservation.
You state that the reason for the cancellation was the weather which was not your fault. I can assure you that it was not our fault either. In fact many of our guests managed to arrive despite the conditions.
We are held under the same set of rules in accepting bookings by the agent as you are in making the bookings and any hotel will follow the same policy on cancellations outside of the time limits laid down. Not just us but every hotel or B & B in the world.
You say we were happy to take your money without providing a service. To put the matter straight we did actually provide the service you reserved and paid for. If you did not arrive to receive this service then nevertheless the service was still provided and available to you..
You state that we were not understanding , actually we were but like I said above we are held to the cancellation policy and have to pay out the commission to the agents you booked through. We could not re book you for another date since we are only small and indeed booked on most nights from now until Christmas. We are after all trying to run a business here.
You also state that to go on and on you would have to use "foul and abusive language" WHY?
This is simply not true and a complete fabrication; you are not being honest, all because you found yourself in breach of the conditions of the reservation you made. I repeat that no one here ever uses foul and abusive language. On the contrary when you spoke to my wife, who happened to answer you call on the reception desk, was so distressed by the way you were speaking to her, she said to you " I am sorry I do not want to continue with this conversation." which tells us something about the people we were dealing with. She is still upset about it.

To sum up the whole unfortunate affair you are upset with yourselves for not being able to honour the booking you made with the booking agent and you did also threaten, over the phone, that you were going to use Trip Advisor to get back at us, which is totally unfair, using Trip Advisor in this way tells me and everybody else exactly, that you have written this invented review to vent off your frustration with yourselves.
I consider this whole review a complete load of spiteful nonsense .
We were glad of your custom and we were prepared to welcome you to our establishment as bone-fida guests. You say you were glad you did not come, but we would have been happy to have you.

Alas!

Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
bolton
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed at hotel for 3 nights last week.Excellent value for money and just as importantly,excellent service.Near to all amenities and railway station and regular bus services so you can leave the car and not bother about parking.Room had everything you need and was spotlessly clean.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BoltonStadler
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for this very nice review. We are extremely pleased you enjoyed staying with us and look forward to seeing you again next time you visit the lakes.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our only concern was that for a couple enjoying a relaxing weekend away breakfast before 9.00am was a bit early, but in the end it was worth getting up for.
Everything else was spot on, the staff were great, friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The room was comfortable, and considering we were on the front of the building it was quiet, no traffic noise. The facilities in the room were what you would expect from a more expensive guest house.
We stayed 2 nights, thought it was great value for money, and would look to stay again next time we are in Windermere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
dobsonandrew63, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay .
Sorry if breakfast was a bit early for you. We try to please everyone and indeed some people would actually like breakfast earlier. We have to finish doing breakfast when we do for two reasons.
1. Check out time is 1030 in order that we can prepare the room for the next guest in case they arrive bang on check in time which often they do.
2. We run sightseeing tours from Lakes Lodge and obviously we cannot have people sat on buses outside waiting for people who are still in breakfast.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Bampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife stayed for 5 days over Christmas on a touring holiday by car, and we really enjoyed it. Excellent location for the price. Parking was available, though the area was limited it did not cause any problems and the fact that it exists at all in the centre of Windermere is a big plus. Breakfast was great (full English), room larger and more comfortable than expected. Cannot really fault it, we had an excellent stay, and the tour (organised at the hotel by the owner and hence was very flexible) on the last day was also great. Thank you also to the owner who left us a bottle of wine and some gifts for Christmas day, an excellent thought!

Room Tip: Make sure to discuss parking at the hotel if there is no room in front, some space can be arranged w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
This is a great review. Thank you very much. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that Christmas for you could not have been better.
We hope you will stay with us again should you ever be passing through the Lake District; whatever the time of year or occasion.

Thanks once again
Marie and Andy
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed 24/11/12 night before a cycle race in Grasmere and needed a bed to sleep in with breakfast in the morning, did what it said, room was clean, bed a little soft for me but thats a personal thing, floor creaked a little but I suspect its quite an old building, all the staff that dealt with me where excellent even moving mini buses allowing me to park my car in the car park, we asked could we have breakfast a little earlier than stated and this was not a problem and it was very nice.
The one thing that I can find fault with was the plug in air freshener in my room I think they are disgusting I unplugged mine the smell was that bad, not a nasty smell just a false type of smell.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sir,

We are so pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
The scent (air freshener) may not have been to your liking exactly, but we were trying to improve the quality of the air in the room. However you did the right thing to switch it off if you found it not to your liking. We are pleased to note everything else was fine.
Thank you for staying with us and we would hope to see you again next time you come to the Lake District

Marie and Andy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Exactly what everyone else has already said, the owner is extremely racist, rude and patronising.. definitely never going back there.

My husband and I stayed here almost a year ago, the owner was outright racist.
He refused to believe we were from London and kept asking us what the weather was like in India despite being born and brought up in the UK.

He then went on to mock us at breakfast when he knew we weren't going to eat the sausages or bacon and mocked us on various occasions.

Like other guests have said, he treated us like he was doing us a favour.

terrible, absolutely horrible experience.. especially since we were there on our honeymoon!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
31 Thank FoodLover A
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Madam,
Thank you for review which I find quite inaccurate . Firstly my wife is from the Philippines and my children are Eurasian. So where exactly you get the racist idea from in this review is not exactly clear. I have travelled a great deal around the middle and far east and I only enquired as to where you came from in case it was somewhere I had visited in the past. I am sorry if you were offended by the observation that you were from India. I thought you would be quite proud of your ethnic origins ; apparently not.
Secondly I enquired as to what you would prefer for breakfast knowing that most people with ethnic backgrounds similar to your own do not eat bacon nor pork sausages, although some do, I was not mocking you then nor on "various occasions" as you quite innaccurately put it. nor have I ever mocked anyone else . I only enquire so as not to unwittingly offend anyone. Playing the racist card is out of order in this review.
To put the matter straight NOT everyone has said what you have said about me in their reviews as you once again so innacurately put it. This will tell anyone reading this review about you and how you have taken anything and everything completely out of context. Oh dear!

The last word from me is that I am not offended but would be happy to have you stay with us again.

Andy

Travelers are raving about these Windermere hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This place is horrific. It should be demolished and re-built.
First of all, payment is demanded immediately when you arrive. The owner stands guard at the door until you pay up. Then gives a demonstration on how to use the front door key (you have to waggle it about until it works) - clearly a new front door lock is required. The rooms are horrendous. Junk shop furniture from the 1970s have been thrown into each room. The carpets, wallpaper, furnishings need completely stripped out and re-done. Ceilings are almost caving in. The place smells. It is just AWFUL. Although we had checked in, we could not stay there. A bit of an argument ensued with the aggressive owner who wanted to charge us £70 for two cups of tea. I would NEVER EVER stay here ! Found a lovely little B&B further down the road (Ellerdene) where the owners were just lovely and the rooms beautiful.

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
16 Thank Mar2210
dobsonandrew63, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
From the owner

This review is not at all accurate being both exaggerated and certainly invented.

The accusation that payment is 'demanded' is not true. We ask guests to pay on arrival so that if they are catching an early train or bus they will not be held up in the office if staff are busy as is often the case most mornings. Most on-line booking establishments take money when you first make the reservation with no chance of a refund. Not so with us.
My wife and I are very upset at what has been written in this review about our work premises and home where we live with our children. No one stood guard at the door until you 'paid up', as you put it, in fact my wife welcomed you in at reception when you arrived. This accusation is totally untrue and an invention. My wife was extremely distressed over her encounter with you; something over which you showed absolutely no concern. She certainly did not 'demand' money from you.

I am so sorry I showed you how the front door lock works this is a new 'state of the art device' and only installed 6 months ago when the hotel went through a refurbisment programme. In case some people have never seen a lock like the one we have I take the trouble to show them how it operates, so as not to have them ringing the doorbell late at night. The suggestion that the lock is broken and should be replaced is quite ridiculous. Oh! Dear

The rooms are well decorated clean and certainly do not smell. The decor is chosen to reflect the age and traditional style of the building; 150 years old and is grade 2 listed . The comment that this building of English heritage status should be demolished is quite abhorrent . The furniture has not been 'thrown in' as you quite rudely put it but is of a hotel standard design used everywhere in hotels and most of it , as a matter of fact, new this year.
Being the owner here I deal with lots of people and certainly I am not aggressive; in fact I remember having to tell one of your party not to use foul language and another to have some respect for other people; something I have never had to do before.
The policy of most hotels is that there is a cancellation charge if the reservation is cancelled in less than 24 hours of arrival. That is what the £70.00 charge was for. Yet you come into our establisment and although you condemn everything about the place you still help yourself to tea and coffee and other hospitable facilities at our home and B & B where we work . We asked for a few pounds to cover the cost of the beverages and time spent in re cleaning the rooms after you left and gave you a full refund. Something we need not have done but my wife and I were so very upset by your behaviour we wanted to terminate any further contact immediately.

We take our guest's comments and suggestions seriously and take the appropriate action to rectify any faults as we do take pride in where we work and where we live.

You ticked off the ratings for rooms & sleep quality, service, and cleanliness etc. concerning an establishment where you have no experience since you did not stay.

We are pleased to point out that 99.99% of our guests enjoy ther stay with us as can be seen by previous reviews.

I think I have made it quite clear the content of this silly and childish review which should simply be ignored as a complete load of nonsense.

Owner