“Back Again”

Ranked #50 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
Morecambe
“Back Again”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This time we stayed for three nights and once again it was very, very good. A comfortable clean room, excellent breakfast and 'mine hosts', John and Steph were as charming and welcoming as on our first visit.
The area is beautiful with lovely walks and plenty of things to do. Windermere and Bowness have plenty of restaurants to choose from and we found some excellent restaurants and cafes.
Having found Oldfield House we will be back each time we get up into the Lakes.
The owners have made a great job of making this guest house a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was a birthday treat bought for me by my daughters and their family it was excellent the room was lovely and clean, bedding and towels all of top quality. Steph was the perfect host and the breakfast was very good
we will definitely be booking to go again could not fault anything perfect birthday treat

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Lakes District in winter is a regular trip with an old friend and our sons. All day out walking evening in the pub/restaurant so all we look for is good value decent B&B accommodation. Oldfield House is great, clean, rooms are up together and the location is excellent. Flexible on breakfast timing, prompt service to get us on our way. We also used the hotel spa card one miserable morning, a real added bonus. John and Stephanie were very helpful and even offered pack lunches.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here for one night as a birthday weekend away. It was our first stay in a guest house as opposed to a hotel and I think this is why I was disappointed. We've paid the same and stayed in better hotels!

First the positives, and there were lots. The location is excellent, set back from the main streets, but within easy walking distance to shops and Bowness. The breakfast was freshly cooked and generous. The owner was very chatty with other residents and struck up lots of conversations, offering local knowledge/recommendations. The house was clean (though rather dated in areas). The dining room was well decorated and well laid out, no chipped plates etc. The bedding/towels/toiletries were of good quality. The shower was excellent and very useful..(read on, all will be revealed).

Now for the negatives - and again, I have to say we are comparing the price we paid to the quality we received.

Firstly, check in was later than we've known anywhere...after 4pm?! We were offered a choice of 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the house. The room at the front was nicely decorated but cold (we were told the heating would be turned on for us immediately should we choose that room). The room next door was not as nice (complete with bedspreads I remember seeing in the '70s). We chose the first room, thinking the heating would soon kick in. Big mistake. I spent the next hour and half in bed with my clothes on to get warm! The ensuite was tiny; I am 5'2" and the size of an average 12 yr old and I found myself getting trapped between the door and the sink! So, on our way out to find a good place to eat, I mentioned to the owner, John, that the heating seemed not to be working properly. He assured us he would have a look and dashed upstairs as we left. IMO the radiator needed bleeding as it stayed lukewarm, and only seemed a little warmer around the edges, but then I'm no plumber!

On our return a few hours later, the room seemed a little warmer. On waking in the morning though, the room was cold again. So cold, that I was forced to take a shower to warm up (hence use of the word 'useful' in re: shower!!) The heating obviously went off overnight!!

After breakfast we checked out - the earliest I've ever checked out of anywhere before - by 10am!!!

Tried my best to be objective, but will choose a hotel next time as I at least guaranteed warmth!!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank fyasmin
Reviewed November 11, 2012

John and Stephanie are very lovely. The hotel is clean and very pleasant. The breakfast was delicious. John booked a sightseeing trip for us, gave us an early breakfast on the day. My sister were very comfortable and loved the 3 nights we spent there. Will definitely go stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
england
Reviewed September 24, 2012

stayed with my sister for two nights , great breakfast excellent owners who take pride in pleasing their guests. spotlessly clean and the little chocolate on your pillow a lovely touch. would defo recommend :)

• Stayed September 2012
Windermere
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is in a fabulous location and the breakfasts were really good.I had a single room at the top of the house.It was very small and I didn't check whether it had a shower or bath.It had a shower which was really good but I would have loved to have a bath.
The only negative comment is that the room was cold.Whenthe heating was on the radiator only heated up at the bottom in the bedroom and the one in the bathroom didn't work at all.However this would not stop me staying again.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com