“Excellent B&B in the Lakes”
Review of Oldfield House

Oldfield House
Ranked #52 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B in the Lakes”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Lakes District in winter is a regular trip with an old friend and our sons. All day out walking evening in the pub/restaurant so all we look for is good value decent B&B accommodation. Oldfield House is great, clean, rooms are up together and the location is excellent. Flexible on breakfast timing, prompt service to get us on our way. We also used the hotel spa card one miserable morning, a real added bonus. John and Stephanie were very helpful and even offered pack lunches.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here for one night as a birthday weekend away. It was our first stay in a guest house as opposed to a hotel and I think this is why I was disappointed. We've paid the same and stayed in better hotels!

First the positives, and there were lots. The location is excellent, set back from the main streets, but within easy walking distance to shops and Bowness. The breakfast was freshly cooked and generous. The owner was very chatty with other residents and struck up lots of conversations, offering local knowledge/recommendations. The house was clean (though rather dated in areas). The dining room was well decorated and well laid out, no chipped plates etc. The bedding/towels/toiletries were of good quality. The shower was excellent and very useful..(read on, all will be revealed).

Now for the negatives - and again, I have to say we are comparing the price we paid to the quality we received.

Firstly, check in was later than we've known anywhere...after 4pm?! We were offered a choice of 2 rooms on the 2nd floor of the house. The room at the front was nicely decorated but cold (we were told the heating would be turned on for us immediately should we choose that room). The room next door was not as nice (complete with bedspreads I remember seeing in the '70s). We chose the first room, thinking the heating would soon kick in. Big mistake. I spent the next hour and half in bed with my clothes on to get warm! The ensuite was tiny; I am 5'2" and the size of an average 12 yr old and I found myself getting trapped between the door and the sink! So, on our way out to find a good place to eat, I mentioned to the owner, John, that the heating seemed not to be working properly. He assured us he would have a look and dashed upstairs as we left. IMO the radiator needed bleeding as it stayed lukewarm, and only seemed a little warmer around the edges, but then I'm no plumber!

On our return a few hours later, the room seemed a little warmer. On waking in the morning though, the room was cold again. So cold, that I was forced to take a shower to warm up (hence use of the word 'useful' in re: shower!!) The heating obviously went off overnight!!

After breakfast we checked out - the earliest I've ever checked out of anywhere before - by 10am!!!

Tried my best to be objective, but will choose a hotel next time as I at least guaranteed warmth!!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank fyasmin
Reviewed November 11, 2012

John and Stephanie are very lovely. The hotel is clean and very pleasant. The breakfast was delicious. John booked a sightseeing trip for us, gave us an early breakfast on the day. My sister were very comfortable and loved the 3 nights we spent there. Will definitely go stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
england
Reviewed September 24, 2012

stayed with my sister for two nights , great breakfast excellent owners who take pride in pleasing their guests. spotlessly clean and the little chocolate on your pillow a lovely touch. would defo recommend :)

• Stayed September 2012
Windermere
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is in a fabulous location and the breakfasts were really good.I had a single room at the top of the house.It was very small and I didn't check whether it had a shower or bath.It had a shower which was really good but I would have loved to have a bath.
The only negative comment is that the room was cold.Whenthe heating was on the radiator only heated up at the bottom in the bedroom and the one in the bathroom didn't work at all.However this would not stop me staying again.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed here with my wife on the recommendation of a friend. Turned out to be an excellent choice as Oldfield does exactly was it says on the tin. The entire house is spotless and beautifully decorated. Breakfast is high quality with tea/coffee making facilities in rooms. Most important of all, are the hosts, Stephanie and Jon, who were welcoming, accommodating, and full of suggestions to enjoy Windermere and the surrounding area. The restaurants and shops in the area were plentiful and it is a bonus to be able to walk to and from these establishments. A massive bonus is the benefit of good free parking. (Recently stayed in Windsor and had to pay £24 for overnight parking). All In all highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen D
Beverley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed at the Oldfield house for 2 nights. The room facitilities were brilliant, the chocolates on the pillow and the biscuits were a nice treat. Stephanie and Jon are very helpful and accommodating, breakfast was great with a full English on offer and excellent customer service, the toast and coffee/tea keeps coming, if you want it.

The location is excellent, inbetween both Widermere and Bowness, a perfect location to explore our favourite area of the lake district.

Thank you very much for a great weekend, Michelle and Richard

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple