I have never felt inclined to write a review on here before but we have just got back from staying in room 8 in the Applegarth and have to say it was one of the most stylish, clean and comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. We originally booked a deluxe room with a double bed but when we entered the room realised we must have been upgraded as we had a massive 7 foot bed. There was also a chaise lounge, table and two chairs, a dressing table and enough room to do a cartwheel (which may have been attempted!)
The hotel is really beautiful as it has lots of art deco touches such as stained glass windows but is also very modern with amenities such as an ipod dock, TV and radio. It has been decorated to a very high standard but in keeping with the building and has a lovely relaxed, welcoming feel. We had a really lovely view looking out to mountains which we could admire from the huge bed. We had a 2 brilliant nights sleep thanks to the blinds and thick curtains which kept out the light and the massive comfy bed. All the entertainment we needed with the ipod dock, radio and TV and the chaise lounge to sit on to admire the views. Oh and the bathroom was lovely and clean and the shower was amazing! And as a girl the powerful hairdryer was much appreciated!
Restaurant/ Night life
We did not actually eat in the restaurant apart from for breakfast which was OK/good but not brilliant but the waitress was really lovely and although it was past finishing time for breakfast she asked if we would like anything else so we did not feel rushed. Although we did not eat in the restaurant, we had a drink in the bar and as a young couple (under 30) I can understand what people say about the quietness and lack of atmosphere of the bar and restaurant. However there is music and I would say in general as a hotel restaurant and bar the atmosphere seems as good as any.
We do not tend to stay to eat in hotel restaurants as we like to explore the area and see what the night life is like. We were able to take a taxi for about £4 into Bowness (2 mins in tax, 15 mins walking) where there are lots of restaurants, bars and a couple of clubs, nothing spectacular but good fun. We were then able to let ourselves into the hotel as a front door key is provided. There are also a couple of bars and restaurants in Windermere itself. So I think the hotel provides for all ages as an older couple would probably enjoy the relaxed and quiet atmosphere of the hotel bar/restaurant and if not it is literally a 2 minutes stroll to lively bars in Windermere.
Location/ Day activities
As mentioned the location was great, the hotel is a few seconds walk from the shops, restaurants and bars of Windermere and there is a very handy CO-OP and late night garage. Or you can walk for 15 mins down the road to Bowness where there are more shops and restaurants and the lake where we hired a boat. The Spa is also in Bowness which we visited as part of the hotel and had a great time there in the sauna and steam rooms! The hotel is also in a great location to take walks from and we did a 2 1/2 mile walk (there are much longer ones but we were feeling a bit fragile from the night before!) which we got from tourist information which again is a few seconds away.
Looking at the reviews before we went a lot of people mentioned the owners and staff weren't very friendly. As we didn't use the restaurant for dinner we can't comment on that but as mentioned the waitress at breakfast was lovely and I bumped into the cleaner one morning and she was very friendly too. We didn't have any complaints or requests or questions as we like to explore the area ourselves so we didn't have much interaction with the owner. However on arrival he was extremely friendly and asked appropriate questions without being over the top. And he was very friendly apparently on check out too (I was still packing!). I do think that check out could be a bit later maybe just 11 instead of half 10 would be good. Overall I'd say the service was very friendly and polite and you didn't feel like the staff and owners were overbearing or wanted to be your friend which is maybe what some people want?
Also the fact that the staff weren't always around at reception and you had your own front door key meant you had a lot of freedom without feeling like you were being watched which you can sometimes feel in small hotels. But you could ring the bell for assistance and staff were there instantly.
An absolutely lovely hotel from the outside and inside with a beautiful, clean, spacious modern room. The freedom to do what you want but staff there when you required them. Friendly staff and great location. An awesome stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Applegarth Villa is truly a rare find being the only 5 gold star guest accommodation with on-site bar & restaurant with AA restaurant award, situated in Windermere in the very heart of the Lake District. Offering individual luxury accommodation of the highest standard together with our newly appointed suites all with a hot tub, this magnificent Villa is unique to Windermere. Having both an Award winning restaurant serving only the best locally sourced regional produce and a cosy oak panelled bar with roaring fire and one of the finest Whisky selection in the area, this is the perfect place to spend the evening after enjoying a day in the Lakes. Who would want to venture out on a cold winters evenings with everything you need in one magnificent building. Equally our summer terrace is the perfect outdoor space to dine in warmer weather whilst enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset over the distant fells from your hot tub. With plenty of secure on site parking this makes Applegarth the perfect choice for your stay in the lakes. To compliment this magnificent building, all our rooms are fully coordinated with fabrics and soft furnishings carefully chosen by our interior designer. Luxurious bathrooms, wall mounted flat screen TV's, free hi speed internet access,suites with hot tubs, refreshment tray, bottled Lakeland water and bathrobes all come as standard! In consideration of our many guests who join us to escape family and business pressures, we are unable to welcome children. Our guest accommodation offers everything you would come to expect from Windermere hotels, including a public bar, a beautiful 40 cover conservatory restaurant, a large private floodlit car park. ADULT ONLY ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Applegarth Villa and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Applegarth Villa And Jr`s Restaurant
- Applegarth Villa & Jr`s Restaurant Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Villa And Restaurant Windermere, Lake District