“No frills, but very good value”

Lake District Backpackers Lodge
Lake District Backpackers Lodge
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“No frills, but very good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting the comic art festival in Kendal and it was totally fine for that purpose, it was the cheapest option by far and comfortable enough. Yes, it was a bit smelly in our room (bit of lingering sweat from previous occupants), but the location in brilliant and you can't complain for the price, particularly if getting a private room is important to you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights in July of 2013, was a bit apprehensive before arrival after reading some of the online reviews, however the place turned out to be quite good. Had no problems with the bed or bed linen, found both to be clean and adequate and the bed comfortable, (got a good nights sleep). There were locks on all the dormitory and bedroom doors plus lockers upstairs to lock stuff up in if needed, (secure enough).

The place has a well equipped kitchen and communal room. Free tea n coffee and light breakfast is provided in the kitchen, (had no problems with mouldy bread), but couldn't find any milk, we had to go and buy our own. Theres Sky TV and a computer in the communal room plus free wifi, found the bean bag chairs in the communal room to be uncomfortable like some others, the wifi worked well for me, could use it all around the house.

We had some problems with the hot water in the bathroom-shower room on the ground floor, the shower would only run too hot or too cold, couldn't get it to run at the right temperature. Also, the hot water from the sink tap in that room wouldnt run hot, cold only, everything in the bathroom-shower room on the first floor worked well though. Theres only two shower rooms with toilets for the whole house, and sometimes in the mornings we had to wait quite a long time to get into one.

Generally speaking we found the whole house to be quite clean, all the furniture and beds and fixtures and fittings ect ect looked quite new, on the whole we were impressed. Also, everything worked quite well, as it should, (with the exception of the ground floor bathroom which ive already mentioned above). The house is very well situated, a five minute walk from both the town centre and the train station, with a good supermarket just up the road at the station, Booths, theres plenty more shops and pubs and cafes and restaurants in the town too. Good value for money id say, we were satisfied, better than a BnB and a lot cheaper, recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank James D
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was a bit sceptical about staying at this hostel as I had read varying reviews. However this hostel was only £17.50 each for my partner and I in a private room and the YHA would have been £21 each for dorm rooms (we are YHA members otherwise it would have been £24 each). So I thought for the £3.50 saving each I’d give it a whirl.

Booking was really easy, couldn’t have gone smoother.

We regularly stay in caving hostels which are unmanned so this did not faze us.

On arrival the door code worked as promised and we found a lovely little hostel - common room with lots of cushions to sit on, a small table suitable for two people to sit round, a desk at the end with visitor’s book and safe for any monies not paid, a TV and internet point. Kitchen was smallish but had table in middle to sit four. Fridge, freezer, kettle, toaster (I think) and preparation space. Our room was already made up – bargain - one up on YHA!

So we thought we’d found a real gem of a place.

Then we noticed things.

It was advertised as free tea ‘n’ coffee and light breakfast. It took me a while to find the milk for the tea I’d just made (nothing was labelled as “hostel milk” – suggestion!) but eventually I found some unlabelled milk and assumed this to be it. Shouldn’t have gone there. It was four pints of very gone off milk. I then checked the bread as someone had posted something about the bread being mouldy. Yep, the two loaves of bread were very mouldy. Chucked those and the milk out. I also smelt the cornflakes in the two containers they were kept in and they did not smell good. Smelt like they’d been there a very long time. I get the feeling unless you eat it, it is not replaced. I then realised that there was no butter or jam. So before brekkie would have consisted of tea, coffee, dry toast and cornflakes. It now consisted of black tea or black coffee. We decided to go out to Booths for brekkie the next day (2 min walk up road, opens at 8am).

Later that night I tried the free Wifi. Password didn’t work.

I had also read that a couple of people had had problems with double bookings. Well not to disappoint, we also experienced this. Fortunately not us but fellow hostellers. Two girls had been double booked and were without a bed at 10pm. They knocked on our door asking if we had a spare bed. We offered our spare single top bunk above our double bottom bunk. They then tried to phone Paul. Got no response. Eventually they arranged with two girls in a next door room that the four of them would share two beds between them (think they were put off of the idea of sharing above our double!). If they had utilised our spare bed I do wonder (and I would have asked) if Paul would have reimbursed the extra we’d paid for a private room as well as some compensation for not keeping his end of the bargain up. I felt really sorry for the two girls and they were not happy the next day when we saw them on the train.

A couple of other points…the beds were really soft, too soft, my partner and I ended up in the middle of the bed as it sank so much. If you self-cater here you can only cook when others are not utilising the kitchen table as you cannot move when others are sat. But with only a two person table in the lounge this is the only place for 3+ groups to eat. Some better chairs in lounge would be good (only cushions).

It was the little things that were annoying. Promising brekkie and then it not being there. Mentioning free Wifi and then it not working. It would have been better to have not included brekkie and Wifi and then there would have been no expectations. It’s ok to promise but you have to make sure you carry through.

I think my partner summed it all up… great place just very badly managed.

This could be a great hostel but until it’s probably managed I wouldn’t recommend it. Spend the extra for the YHA.

Room Tip: You can't choose your own room I'm afraid (it's a hostel) so can't answer this quest...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dominique D

Travelers are raving about these Windermere hotels

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hostel isn't bad, but my room had a musty smell, the only chairs in the common room were rather grungy beanbag chairs, and there were hardly any bathrooms. there were no reading lamps reading lamps.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ferriter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Brilliant lots of good shops,cafes,pubs and restaurants just within a 5min walk. Great fast wifi and sky tv. Everything u need need in the kitchen fridge microwave oven. Defo recommended to stay and very cheap to stay good beds and good showers. Fab thanks

• Stayed June 2013
mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for a night in May and found it very good. It is located close to the Railway station, just 5 minutes away and ticked in a buy lane. The hostel has no reception hence pre booking is necessary. The common area has a board with your room no. mentioned and the amount to be paid, which has to be dropped in the box placed below the board. Very cosy and clean rooms. The bathroom was located very conveniently right next to my room The kitchen is well equipped and breakfast is included. Tea/coffee is available 24/7.
Overall and very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: For ladies Room no 1 is very convenient as the bathroom is just next to it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Favourite place of our trip so far. Feels like a big house. Clean and trust system works well. The common room and kitchen were great. Room was smallish if you have 2 people in a private room with 2 large suitcases and the only improvement may be a welcome from a staff member when you arrive. In saying that, once you have arrived, the lack of staff wasn't an issue and the place runs well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple