“Yuk. In need of attention.”

Lake District Backpackers Lodge
Lake District Backpackers Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Yuk. In need of attention.”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We paid £15 pp/pn - just £2.50 less each than other stunning, clean hostels across the UK and Scotland. This place was well below standard. Old grotty mattresses and pillows. No locks on doors - hence no security. It was damp and our room smelt appalling.

It needs completely updating - even if that means putting the price up a bit! Currently revolting and not recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank UK_Theo
PFletcher, Owner at Lake District Backpackers Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
We are sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay. We pride ourselves on being one of the cheapest (if not most) accommodation providers in Windermere, and as such aim to give great value for money.

We do try to refurbish the hostel annually, and since your stay we have replaced all mattresses. We have also installed a new kitchen in the past year and are currently replacing the bed room doors. As a compromise for not having locks on the bed room doors (this is not possible due to the number of people coming in and out of rooms, and with issues in the past of lost keys) we provide locker facilities in the lounge for your valuables.

We hope you will stay with us again and have a more pleasant experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Absolutely great hostel. Never stayed anywhere like it before in the UK.
Everything was clean, tidy and cosy. My partner and I had a private room which was a little cramped but perfect for what we needed. The kitchen was great we cooked in every night, Sky TV and internet was a suprising bonus and the living room a cosy and lovely place to meet fellow backpackers, all round 8 out of 10!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
TX
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Just opposite to the train station. 100% self check-in and check out, very interesting experience.

Clean room although very basic. Nothing to complain

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2009

No hassel of checkin in, just enter hostel with pin no. provided thru email,leave $ at specified place n use room as designated. Might be a hassel if facin prob cos rarely is there any1 around. Only 2 toilets, had 2 queue in de mornin which is annoyin, very clean but only 1 workin shower. overall quite decent. Might try de mulitple no. of B&Bs outside next time for a more relaxin stay..

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank draw2blue
Ontario
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Just few minutes' walk from train station and Tourist Info office. Honour system, you get a code via e-mail to get in the door, then deposit payment into safe. Help yourself in well stocked kitchen (dishes, pots/pans, bread, juice, milk, etc) for breakfast. Washer and dryer in kitchen. Very cozy place, felt like we were visiting a friend. Laid back, quiet. Quick walk to restaurants and shops. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OwlieOntario
London
Reviewed May 12, 2009

the location is excellent, near rail station and town centre, only 20mins walk to bowness. i stayed in the private room, so i can lock my room, which is really good.. :) also, there's a wash basin in the room, so it's very convenient. u can have free milk and bread for breakfast... :) good value for money.. BUT there r only 2 bathrooms.. so happy queuing in the morning..!! :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank xiaophinx
South East England
Reviewed December 28, 2007

Well, I thought my prayers were answered when I stumbled, road weary, upon a small, cheap youth hostel a nice walk away from Booths and the railway station. "Fantastic!" I thought. "I can get a nice bit of reading in before I jet off again". How naive of me. Bear with me, please, while I divulge into my night of hassle.

I arrived at around a quarter to five. Sitting outside the door was a well built Liverpudlian, who's name I cannot remember. "Afternoon", I said. After a small and pleasant chat, I asked after a bed for the night. "Sure", he said. "just follow me". 'Must be a member of staff', I mused. I followed in. Now, let me say that I have no complaints about the <i>establishment</i> per se; it was clean, and, well, just a civilian house one might say. The Liverpudlian told me to phone 'the boss man' (who reads these reviews regularly, I see), who's picture, smiling warmly down at me, stood affixed under said phone number. After leaving a message on the answer phone, I was rung by Mr. Paul, who told me there was a room. Great! Bank holiday Monday in the Lake District and a room is available! What more could a strung out 17 year old ask for? Read on, and I shall tell you.

I chucked my gear on my bed at about half five. All was well, aside from a mild sense of homesickness that was soon to be extinguished by the sting of hunger. I 'ate', and I use the term loosely, at the Lighthouse Restaurant, not two minutes walk away from the hostel, but I won't digress into my experience there. I arrived back at the hostel at I forget what time, and read for about an hour or so on my bed. Two people around my age, a brother and sister, came in to the room which they were apparently sharing with me, and greeted me warmly, saying they were off to see the new Harry Potter film at the cinema later. I'm not one for Harry Potter myself, but I am familiar with it. So, after about ten minutes, another fellow, an Australian by the name of Chris I believe, put his stuff on the bunk above me, which was the last bed in the room. There was a washbag already on the bed. I assumed it belonged to one of the couple who were in earlier, and let it slip by. This was when my troubles began.

Two men arrived. They asked me why I was in their bed. Uh oh! I replied, as one would in such a situation, "I'm terribly sorry, I had no idea you were using these beds; I'm sure it's my fault, but could we go and check the book in, because Paul definitely told me this bed was free tonight". We went upstairs to find a nonplussed Chris, and a middle aged Kiwi lady with a stomach bug. Yay. We checked, and apparently there was a miss booking; I didn't know this at the time, but the two Harry Potter patrons had arrived one day early for their holiday. I <i>thought</i> it was odd that there were no staff visible, and the payment was based on an honour system. I mean, myself, I'm an honest person, but I had an underlying feeling that it was to save on money rather than to exercise our moral judgment as travelers. We were understandably bemused at the brother and sister duo at this point; as far as we knew, they had just turned up and turfed us out of our beds. There were five of us in the room at this point; the Liverpudlian was happily suckling away at his second bottle of wine, and creating quite a ruckus in the meantime. Mind! I don't wish to say I was in any discomfort; he was in no way threatening towards us (and even if he were, I can't imagine much would have become of it).

I booked into a hotel because I had been camping for the previous two nights, and didn't get a wink of sleep. I wanted an early night, understandably. It was going on half past eleven, and we were still waiting for these two siblings to return from their night on the town. After a while, it became apparent that there was one bed available in the women's dorm. Oh ho ho ho ho, my friend, do not think for a second that I would not have snatched up the chance under ordinary circumstances; but remember the aforementioned New Zealander suffering from a different type of Norwalk than one would expect in the Lake District? Well, she was in the very same room. I'm a bit of an emetophobe, me; I can't stand being in the same room as someone who is sick, watching people vomit et cetera; I simply can't be doing with it. So when I'm faced with the choice of sleeping in a real bed for the night, but risking contracting whatever vicious rhinovirus which had afflicted this woman, or sleeping on the floor (which is akin to sleeping in a tent anyway) and being woken up at seven sharp by the great unwashed trawling through for the 'continental breakfast'*, that I began to wonder why it was that I was paying through the nose for this Sophie's Choice of a dilemma. Well, after much talking and, admittedly, some good times, it came down to flipping a coin - flipping a coin! - to determine who would suffer what fate. I got the bed, which I was surprisingly not happy about. That said, I slept as far away as possible from the infected lady; opposite a woman who resembled Big Suz from Peep Show, and had an alright night.

While I understand it was the couple's own stupid fault for being a day early, the problem could <i>easily</i> have been avoided if there were just one or two members of staff standing by to help or hinder the movements of the customers. Just one receptionist would have been welcome! I saw not hide nor hair of the fabled Paul in my stay. I paid my money, but included with the package a note saying something along the lines of the above sentiment, and I would very much like to think that the boss man took it on board, and indeed, remembers me, Fred (a fake name, of course), when he reads this review. I was not happy, and I shan't be returning. The only reason I gave it two stars was because I didn't get the stomach bug.

*An economy drum of gone off strawberry jam and some presumabley mouldy bread

• Liked — There was a nice sense of community between those of us who were kicked out of our beds
  • Disliked — The fact that there were people who were kicked out of their beds.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jack_Rose

Travelers are raving about these Windermere hotels