“Well located, comfortable stay”
Review of Craig Manor Hotel

Craig Manor Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Well located, just a 5 minute walk from the town centre with plenty of car parking spaces.
Our room was well appointed and the bed was very comfy. I was happy to get 2 mini packets of biscuits each day with the Usual tea and coffee sachets but I am easily pleased!
Breakfast was included and the dining room had a lovely view and the staff were friendly and helpful. I'd have liked a veggie sausage at breakfast but that is maybe nit picking...
We used the bar a few times and were happy with the selection offered and the prices.

Overall, enjoyed our stay and would recommend...

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a view as they're not amazing! Rooms at back may be quieter as front fac...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This hotel is lovely and catered to our needs without any problems, we arrived in Bowness with nowhere to stay and Craig Manor catered to our every need! (Even gave us an umbrella to borrow as it was raining). Great value for money, comfy beds, only a five minute walk from the centre of Bowness and great staff! Would definitely book again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked a Lake View Room at Craig Manor as a 91st Birthday Treat for my mum.
I booked through Booking.com and had already booked two different hotels beforehand and had to cancel, due to them not having wheelchair access.
I rang Craig Manor before I booked and asked if they were wheelchair friendly because I was bringing a 91 year old. "Yes, said the receptionist, wheelchair access is through the bar area". I thanked her and booked the room. Booking.com also rang them, to check the had wheelchair access. Again, they sad "YES". We drove down and I parked the car and went into the hotel to book in. I asked the receptionist how to get the wheelchair in and she said, "through the bar area there". I thanked her and she gave me my room keys and said, "Your room is on the second floor". I asked where the lift was and she replied "We do not have a lift". I asked her how I was going to get my mum upstairs and she said "It is only two short flights of stairs, can she not climb up the stairs?". I smiled, thinking she was joking but NO, there were no lifts.
After holding the check in queue up for 10 minutes, she said I will ring our other hotel, The Daffodil. I went to check on my mum and my dog in the car whilst she did this. When I got back, she said she had spoken to them and I was to drive to Grasmere where they would sort a room out for me. 40 minutes after we arrived, at Craig Manor, we were on our way to Grasmere.
When we arrived at The Daffodil Hotel, the manager said they do not allow dogs but because of the circumstances, they would make an exception. She took me to see three rooms and said they could only allow my dog in a NON-VIEW Room. I was appalled because we had a view of a dirty grey building, right in front of the bedroom window. I said "No thank you" This was supposed to be a special birthday treat because my mum has Alzheimers and Dementia and it would probably be the last holiday she could appreciate before she deteriorates.
I went to the car to tell mum we were going to have to go home, whilst the reservations manager, Sarah sorted my deposit out. When I went back in she said I was going nowhere and she had spoken to her General Manager and they had agree to give me a mountain view room. Very kind of her and I accepted it but the birthday treat was ruined because I wanted a Lake View Room for my mum, who loves the sea and lakes or a view of any water.
Craig Manor is useless and very DISABLED UNFRIENDLY.
If I need wheelchair access into the hotel, how could they expect the person in the wheelchair to walk up two flights of stairs???????
I would not recommend Craig Manor to anyone who has a disability.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I stayed at Craig Manor for one night as we were driving through the Lake District. This is a sweet little English cottage that is about a 5-10 min walk to the beautiful downtown of Bowness-on-Windermere. We had a very nice, small room, but it looked out onto the road and was a little noisy with the traffic. We had dinner there and it was fabulous. We sat in a living room-style section w/drinks and then they called us into the dining room when our dinner was ready. Penny, our server, was fantastic!!! She was sooo accommodating with our gluten free allergy and made us feel so welcome. I would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank krc11
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Booked two rooms for staying two nights in June. The receptionist on the phone was very helpful, she patiently helped me to choose the rooms and the confirmation letter was then arrived a few days later.

The hotel was in a good location, only ten minutes of walk to the lake. It has a lovely beer garden, you could see lots of hares in the near by filed in the morning, and at evening, you could hear sheep singing from far away.

Room 207 was quite small and facing the road as I was told at the booking, but it has a nice Jacuzzi. The size of the bathroom was reasonable, the shower was very powerful, but the basin was quite small, about half of a normal size. The bath room was equipped with shower gel, shampoo and bath gel, soap and shower cap. In the morning, the road traffic noise starts at seven but was bearable.

I upgraded my parents to room 208 which has a king size bed and facing the garden, the view was lovely, however, the window was not large enough to let the air through properly, so the room could be hot sometimes. The bathroom was OK size, only has a shower and basin was also small. The room wasn't as quiet as expected, the bed next to the hallway, so it was a bit of noisy when people walking through at night.

Free Wifi works well at the group floor sitting area, very weak signal in 208 but nothing in 207.

The hotel has plenty sitting area on the group floor, there is a bar and a restaurant, you can order some drink and sit by the window enjoy the beautiful view outside. Also plenty of tourist brochures at reception area for you to pick up.

We had evening meal at the restaurant, the food was delicious and nicely presented, especially the potato that come with the meals, unlike most places that serve you with boring boiled potato, the potato here were cut and baked, and then turn to a potato flower or a cake, really nice. The service was good too, the waiters were very polite and quite formal as well.

The breakfast in the morning was also good, buffet style with everything you expect for a full English breakfast, also include hash browns! You can order cooked eggs of you liking as well.

I was quite happy with the staying until checking out. I was charged for a bar bill that I was already paid cash, but that wasn't the problem. When I told the guy at the reception that I had paid it, he said that's OK, then he scrunched the bill and tossed it to the bin. I can't say that what he did was wrong but, I just felt like I was enjoying a meal but at very last bite I found a fly in it.

I would score the hotel 3.5 based on my experience, and would like to recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here June for two nights. Upgraded to a lake view room which was situated at the back of the hotel, with lovely views. Room was average size, very clean. Breakfast was the best breakfast I have had at an hotel, really good quality sausage complimenting the high quality breakfast. My wife chose the smoked fish and scrambled egg option and she was not disappointed, choosing it the following day. Dinner was good, nothing spectacular, but enjoyable. Dining room has splendid rooms, and there is a really nice sitting/reading room at back of hotel, also with great views. Really enjoyable stay, nice walk into Bowness or up to Windermere, whichever you fancy.

Room Tip: Well worth upgrading to lake-view room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mal R
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is located a 5min drive (costing between 4 and 5 GBP) away from Windermere Stn. The hotel is basically a redone manor (or a former residence) which has a small garden of its own, with a view of the hills and the lake visible from all the windows. The room that we were given was at the top with a coffee maker and a very nice bathroom inc. a tub.

The rooms were cleaned daily and staff is extremely polite and helpful. Breakfast is served everyday in the morning which is your usual spread of eggs, bacon, sausages, fruits, hashbrowns, bread toasts, juices etc

I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to everyone.

Only downside: no elevators :(

Room Tip: Ensure you get the rooms overlooking the backside garden and lake.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple