“A theatre of food.”

Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“A theatre of food.”
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Came here for a meal for our wedding anniversary and not disappointed. We really pushed the boat out and had the tasting menu with wine to compliment each course. The staff are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Each course is served with a flourish and fanfare and it really is a theatre of food. A really great meal, not cheap, but for a really special treat, I would recommend this. We are saving already for next year.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DrHarris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Sunny Queensland. AUST
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Our first visit to the UK where we have ventured outside of London.Decided on 2 nights in the Lakes district.Booking on just internet reviews can be dodgy.However there is nothing dodgy here.From the moment we arrived when we were greeted at the car and our luggage taken to the room until the moment we left when in a great display of versatility the chef delivered our car to the front of the hotel the service was excellent.Alisdair the manager was superb as were the rest of the staff.
We stayed in the Tynan room which was lovely.Great views across the lake.We had planned on having room service breakfast the first morning and have it in the restaurant the second.It was so lovely eating breakfast by the window it was room service both days.
The primary reason we selected the Samling was it's restaurant.I look at the negative reviews to see if there is any consistent problems.In this case there were not so I was reasonably confident of our choice.No need for worry.Everything surpassed our expectations.The food was excellent with a variety of tastes,styles and combinations which worked.Only 1 dish I could say I disliked but that was because of my tastes not because of a problem.
On our first night we had the lovely Gen from the Loire.Truly excellent at her job.Great knowledge of both the food and wine so that on the second night we chose a wine from the Loire.Her service was not only professional but friendly as well.We were not disappointed on the second night with the two Andrews.So both nights were very enjoyable.
Definitely recommend the Samling for a very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank drron
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have just returned from an overnight break and have had a thoroughly wonderful stay. On arriving we were welcomed by very friendly staff who took us you our room called Tethren, which was charming and had the most amazing view of Lake Windermere. Our stay included a 7 course taster menu which we thoroughly enjoyed especially the "Apple Crumble" dessert. My least favourite dish though was the main course but all in all the meal was gorgeous and the waitress was fantastic. Breakfast the next morning was super and beautifully presented. We purchased our stay with Secret Escapes and felt that it was worth every penny, however, I don't think we would have paid the price that the hotel normally charge as their rates are quite expensive. Would we go again definitely especially if it was a reduced rate.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking lake Windermere a must
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Auntiechoi
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We were here for a family wedding. Everything from our arrival to leaving was perfect. The staff were helpful and friendly but never intrusive. The rooms were all lovely , we were in Lethera which was incredibly comforable. The bathroom was gotgeous with quality toiletries and the view over the lake from the loubge was glorious. It would be easy to run out of superlatives in describing this place.. The tasting menu we had in the evening was excellent, as was the wine. The hotel is expensive but I can honestly say in my opinion it was worth every penny.

Room Tip: Lethera was fabulous
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cleocairn
Reviewed June 5, 2014

my boyfriend and I visited here as part of an anniversary break to the lakes. After paying £350 for one night we were exceedingly disappointed in the room. We stayed in the 'Yan' suite which had, quite frankly the worst bed I have ever slept in. The TV didn't work and we had to get a staff member in to fix it. Furniture seems to be in the wrong place, and there are not many electrical outlets, so if you wish to use the coffee machine in the room you have to unplug the lamp (for eg). There is a shower in the bath but it is impossible to use as it is attached to the taps with no where to hang it up.
We have dined in many Michelin starred restaurants up and down the country and expected big things from this one. what a let down. EVERY single dish from the canapes to the cheeseboard was covered in truffle. Nice if you like it, but I don't. The canapes had very little thought gone into them and the rest of a meal was a let down to be honest. There was no real theme running throughout the dishes and there was the odd 'gastronomy' dish thrown in. Maybe for illusion as the taste was most definitely not there. The petit fours were disgusting with no real effort (unlike the Devonshire Arms which served the best petit fours I have ever had!). We also had afternoon tea here which was similarly disappointing - poor presentation (especially the sandwiches - I could get better at my local co-op).
I think the only saving grace is the staff. Our waitress (I think her name was Jen?) was absolutely fantastic - available but not intrusive with a lovely sense of humour.
All in all a massive waste of money and a disappointing experience. Never again.

Room Tip: Do not chose the Yan suite!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our first visit after having been recommended to try it. We opted to have afternoon tea there and we are so glad we did. Great well looked after gardens welcome you. friendly welcome. We were sat at a table in the lounge facing the amazing view. We loved the tea presentation in test tubes with descriptions and fact you are encouraged to open them and smell the different teas they have. I believe this was the first time I experienced open sandwiches. all the food was delicious. 2 scones per person maybe rather than one is probably more what I would have expected, but there were more than enough yummy pastries and cakes to make up for that. My only niggle, as the lunch bookings left the background music disappeared and then the music being played in the kitchen became audible and I think we are getting too old for what sounded like radio 1.
Now we are thinking about an overnight stay next time we are in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Didsbex
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant at this hotel now has a Michelin star. Amazing tasting menu with imaginative cooking and dishes I had not had before. The gardener grows the salad veg for dinner which is freshly picked by the chefs. We received a warm welcome from the friendly manager and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple