“Great Location and views, upmarket lakes hotel”
Review of The Samling Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Samling Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
wigan
“Great Location and views, upmarket lakes hotel”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This is a special place you can tell. Apparently a lot of celebrities stay here eg Tom cruise, and you can see why.
take note- The views are amazing from the grounds and some of the rooms- must be some of the best views in the UK, if not the whole world.
The main hub of the hotel itself is small- we were surprised (and a touch disappointed by that) but that was our only gripe.
We had the cheapest basic room- but it was very nice! service discreet but excellent.
Breakfast (and especially) Michelin star restaurant evening meal a good experience. I found Sharrow bay meal slightly better (especially value) but this was still excellent.
The hot tub outside has fab views too.
If we ever came back we would probably treat ourselves to a blowout room with views for a couple of nights.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danbertNobacon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We went to the lakes for my partners birthday and were looking for to ticking of another Michelin starred restaurant. Our room "Yan" had by far and away the worst mattress I've slept on in years, it should have been changed long ago. When asked at check out whether everything was OK i informed them and was met with a derisory response "We'll look into it, they hate it when i spend money". The same person was the same the previous evening when we requested to change choice of dessert.
Shame the rest of the staff where very friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure its not Yan as this is very hot, noisy and a terrible bed
3 Thank Simon M
Lancashire
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We were given a stay at The Samling as our joint 60th birthday celebration and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Staff all polite, cheerful and helpful. The Bothy Suite was comfortable and spacious, with Winston Churchill's antique shower-bath combination adding to the entertainment! Still working, though leaks a bit!
Very comfortable bedroom and the conservatory sitting area is comfortable and private, with full cooked breakfast served in your room as standard. If we'd been there in the summer it would have been lovely sitting on the private patio area outside the room.
Champagne in the hot tub, with views of Windermere, then the superb Gourmand Taster menu with wine pairing made for an amazing evening.
Expensive, but special. No wonder they've got the Michelin star and three Rosettes - and expecting more to follow soon.
Good walks from the hotel if you're energetic and definitely a place for a special celebration. Swimming pool and fitness area about to be added, so hope to return - perhaps another celebration?

Room Tip: The Bothy was comfortable, but we doubt if there are any rooms that aren't luxurious (though no...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We went for our anniversary. The food was top notch, very special. Jen, our waitress was so very good. The service is second to none. Our room, which was one of the luxury suites, was very nice, with an amazing view. It's the view that makes the room really. My husband found the bed very comfy, but I woke up with a sore neck - this may have been me and not the bed though. We enjoyed the hot tub very much, but yes, it should probably have a covered area to hang your gown etc. A great place for a romantic short break. I don't think I would recommend any more than 2 nights stay. It's a short break place. Fantastic overall.

Room Tip: It's worth a luxury room for the amazing views.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have just had a couple of nights at the Samling and overall thouroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room - Tethera - overlooked the front of the hotel with 3 windows giving stunning views over the Lake. We had breakfast in our room on the second morning and it was delightful to sit there, relax and enjoy the view. The room was large, slightly over-warm (we opened windows which solved the problem) and nicely furnished. I would have preferred a slightly larger bed, but it was perfectly adequate. There is, however, a slight issue with the room in that you can hear the music system for the restaurant below which woke me earlier than I wanted in the mornings. The bathroom was excellent with a bath the size of a small swiming pool and a separate walk in shower.

The Samling is obviously noted for its food, but I did have slight reservations about the taster menu. Firstly, let me say that the food was fabulous: the flavours and presentation were magnificent and backed up by the staff. However, I do have a slight issue with the size of the portions. It is very frustrating to taste something so good yet find that after not much more than a couple of mouthfuls it's gone. I know there are 7 courses, but they do also ply you with bread rolls (we had 4 each) to fill you up, so they could be a bit more generous. The experience was wonderful, but also a little frustrating and, as a result, we didn't eat at the hotel on the second night which is a great shame for both us and them. Breakfast on both mornings was very good - although maybe not the porridge - and the service throughout our stay could not be faulted. Special mention must go to Tom who was excellent at all times.

Room Tip: The views from Tethera are stunning
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We decided spend a night at The Samling just before Christmas as a treat, we only live in Kendal so could have booked a taxi but on seeing a deal with Secret Escapes decided to stay over. We arrived at 3pmish on a Sunday afternoon as Sunday lunches were finishing, we struggled to park the car then carried our luggage in to the hall where we stood by the bureau (no actual reception) for at least 5 minutes before anyone attended to us. A waiter politely offered us tea in the lounge where we were ushered quickly to a settee with all our baggage and damp coats, obviously they were too busy to attend to us and this was the easiest way to occupy us until someone was available! The tea, shortbread and Sunday papers were fine but I did not expect them to be added to our final bill as they were for the hotel's convenience! After about 30minutes we were shown to our room, Yan on the 1st floor of the hotel. This room was a great disapointment, no actual wardrobe just a small curtained alcove where we had to hang our change of clothes and damp coats, an oversized shabby cupboard which took up a lot of space and only housed a TV. a lovely Arts and Crafts style dressing table with a knob missing. There was a lovely real small Christmas tree but as the room is so small it meant to sit on the settee you had your legs in the tree!! There were fresh flowers and fruit and a Nespresso coffee machine which were also nice touches but why was there Norwegian water when the hotel is in The Lakes why was there no local water?? The bathroom was also looking tired, there was an open cupboard under the basin that obviously should not have been, and the floor tiles were grubby round the edges. I also could not find anything in the room as to where fire exits were in the event of a fire. The room was also noisy due to kitchen deliveries and I have never stayed in such a warm room. I actually had to go outside next morning before breakfast to get some fresh air and cool down as I felt so hot I thought I was going to be ill!!
My husband and I had booked the hot tub at 5pm to use before changing for dinner. We went out of the back door and finnally found it (after asking a member of staff) up a poorly lit path. What a dissapointment, it would have been lovely to use and looked hot so did'nt matter that it was raining except that there was NOWHERE to leave our dressing gowns and slippers where they could have kept dry!
We returned to our room and I decided to have a deep bubble bath, there were REN toiletries in the room which were lovely but no bath foam or shower gel! I rang reception who confirmed they had run out of bath oil/shower gel but I could have some body lotion....no use in the bath!!
However, I cannot fault the 7 course tasting menu with wine flight, Tom our waiter was entertaining, friendly and informative. The courses were small but well made and presented with lots of special touches and the wines well matched. Breakfast next day was lovely and informal.
All in all I could not fault the meal and Tom! However I would not stay here again as the room was a huge disapointment, we should have booked a taxi home.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in YAN!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank spr1965
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here for a night in Manmire. The room is fantastic, with a private-ish patio overlooking Windermere. I say private-ish because the hotel has a hot tub that is used on a rota basis, and this overlooks Manmire's patio, but there's no line of sight contact so it's mostly secluded. The room itself is split on two levels with the bed on the second level. The only problem was that the curtains in the upper floor gave virtually no exclusion of light, so the bedroom was light as soon as the sun was up. I ended up sleeping on the sofa on the lower level as that was still in relative darkness.

The meal was fantastic, each course a treat. I really liked the way that they used a vacuum coffee maker to make the infused flavours of the fish broth. We're getting one after seeing it. The only slight let-down was the dessert, it was at least two completely disjoint set of flavours on the same plate - would have been better as two independant courses. Wine list good and a decent selection of half bottles.

So I would stay here again but not in Manmire, only because of the light in the sleeping area. If the room had blackout blinds it would be a massive improvement.