“Food to die for”

Preston, United Kingdom
“Food to die for”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed in Pymm to celebrate my husbands "special" birthday
What an amazing view ! The room is at the top of the main hotel building giving an amazing view down lake windermere
The bathroom has the biggest bath I've ever seen ! Wonderful !
We used the out door jacuzzi , again over looking the lake, great place to enjoy a gin and tonic
The staff were friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble
And the food , we chose the twisting menu, oh what a treat !!
Great place to relax and enjoy the lake district

Room Tip: Pymm the room at the top had the most amazing view, large sitting area a d great bath room
1 Thank Jane L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We spent two nights at the Samling. It's wonderful. Sure, some reviews of this hotel and restaurant will complain about some small issues with the rooms needing a spruce up, and they do need some minor touch ups, but that is being very picky. I travel all over the world and stay at lots of luxury properties and the Samling is really special. First off there is the view which is spectacular, and the property is really beautiful. The service is also top notch. From the moment you pull up you feel special. The staff is warm and professional but not stuffy. The rooms are large and well fitted. The rooms do, as some have noted, need some sprucing up, but for the price, you are getting a killer deal. Our rate included 2 world class dinners for two and breakfast. You cannot get a better deal for a luxury property than that. The restaurant is exceptional. We had 2 fabulous dinners and breakfasts. The service in the dining room is also top notch. I'll give a particular nod to Tom and Andrew. So, all in all the Samling is really wonderful. There is something to be said for great service, classic rooms, a stellar view and fabulous food. This place has them all. You could pay double or triple what we paid for similar quality, so when you put that together with how memorable and serene this hotel is , it can't be beat. It's not the Ritz Carleton. It's more soulful and unique, like a great friend that will always be there to comfort you and make you feel special. Friends come with some rough edges for sure, but they are forever. And the Samling is all of that and more.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main house upstairs with 3 windows facing the view. Lovely.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in The Bothy for 2 nights and Pym for one. Bothy is a suite in the grounds with brilliant views of the lake from the lounge/conservatory. It has a great 'Heath Robinson' shower/bath. Pym is a suite at the top of the hotel, with a great bathroom. The views of the lake and the grounds are fantastic - beautiful when sunny and moody when wet! The service is quietly efficient and very helpful. Every meal was stunning and there were a few, interesting surprises, especially the Turbot with the spice infusion which uses a Cona machine. It's a great hotel which we'd highly recommend for a relaxing few days. We'd love to go back.

Room Tip: Choose The Bothy for a spacious suite with an excellent view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MKC742563
Derbyshie
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked a two night through Secret Escapes for a wedding anniversary – this included the tasting menu for two on both evenings, and nothing disappointed.

Chloe welcomed us warmly on arrival before George showed us to our room. This was Dove Nest – comfortable, but a little dark (and maybe not the best room in the hotel as the décor seemed a bit tired, but it still had a little ‘wow’ to it). The bed was really cosy and we slept well on both nights. The bath was huge, and the separate shower powerful and efficient. We loved all the REN products.

All the staff were very attentive, professional and knowledgeable. It would be unfair to highlight anyone in particular, as all of the staff were excellent. We chose to try the matching wines with our tasting meal and thought that this was a good choice – the wines did compliment our food perfectly, and each wine was served with a good explanation of the flavours and why it had been chosen. The food was exquisite and the service attentive and well informed - in fact, the food surpassed my expectations. Highlights for me were the mutton, tuna and a Thai dish. I wish I’d asked for a copy of the menu as there were seven courses each evening, and I can’t remember what they were all called! The chef also accommodated my fussy dislikes of certain dishes on the menu. Nothing was too much trouble.

During my stay I had a migraine, and the staff were very nice, dimming the lights etc. to make sure I was comfortable. This was done in an unobtrusive and thoughtful way and meant that I could enjoy my evening as best I could.

We enjoyed sitting in the hot tub over looking the gardens towards Windermere. There is a system where you have to book an hour’s slot, but this means the hot tub is yours for that time – you can have drinks brought to the hot tub. Such a perfect way to end the day.

I would definitely book this hotel again and will recommend this hotel to my friends. It is a small, intimate hotel, with maybe a dozen rooms. Next time I would ask for a different room, maybe one in the main hotel. I am not sure, but I think there might be self-catering cottages on site – but don’t think they use the restaurant in the evening. I believe it is residents only. Do check this though.

The library is much nicer to sit in than the main lounge and I preferred the smaller dining room. I think this hotel would be the perfect location for a small wedding or a family celebration, as one group can book the whole hotel.

I can’t wait to return.

Thank you!

Room Tip: Main part of the hotel - perhaps a suite overlooking the lake.
1 Thank PJG1
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed in one of the suits called Manmire , which is located up hill in very nice area over looking the lake wendermere. The suit is very comfortable and spacious with outstanding wide bathroom . The most important thing in this hotel that makes me come back is the service provided
by the staff it is second to none.the staff is very very friendly and nice ,the house keeping group is-extremely professional and they do their job timely .i would recommend this hotel without hesitation

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Khalid M
Brampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and i booked The Samling through Secret Escapes and it was worth every penny and more! We were greeted upon arrival and shown straight up to our room which was beautiful.
We had booked the Cedar Hot Tub in advance so had an hour with a class of Champagne looking over Lake Windermere, definitely would recommend this during your stay.
The 7 course taster menu was out of this world with a imaginative eclectic mix of taste well worth a Michelin star!! The staff are knowledgable, helpful yet discreet.
Comfortable relaxed atmosphere in beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Tethera is in the main building and has 3 windows looking over the lake, a sitting area and a firepl...
1 Thank BMW3DS
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A stunning weekend at The Samling. Gorgeous suite with a decadent bath, stocked with posho toiletries. Staff were friendly but unobtrusive, and the food was stunning. The edible mojito was a work of genius. In your face Heston.

1 Thank Chris B