My husband and I booked a meal at the Gilpin Lodge where we ordered the five course dinner, and found the food was of the highest quality. I was expecting meagre portions but its a case of quality not quantity here, and we felt satisfied and full at the end.
Service throughout was faultless although completely impersonal and slightly robotic. I understand the passion and emphasis is the quality of the food, but there is no atmosphere at all. Sat opposite my husband we felt we had to whisper, you could literally hear a pin drop in the silence. We were in a little room with four other couples, it felt like a doctors waiting room and everyone seemed to be whispering. It did not feel relaxing and I think perhaps some dimmed lighting and a little background music would improve the atmosphere dramatically.
I reiterate the food is fantastic, but I would not return due to the snobby atmosphere. The waiters are constantly walking past too eyeing up your plates and what you are doing, and we felt a bit self-conscious and had the feeling of being watched.
The reviews here are great so obviously its just not for everyone. I would recommend for a meal if you are a real foodie, I just think the atmosphere is too pompous.
One last thing I did find, the amuse bouche was langoustine soup which tasted like pureed salted seafood with a hint of fairly liquid .... sorry I know its harsh, but it desperately needed a touch of cream to soften it. It was far too strong and sickly
That is my only criticism on the food. Thankfully the other 4 courses made up for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District