Over the years we have stayed many times at Linthwaite House , just down the road, with virtually complete satisfaction, but, due to many structural improvements, and , apparently ,management changes, we decided to try Gilpin.
From our arrival, we were not happy. The room was very foisty, and, we later learned it was chemicals from the hot tub. The room was huge, and well equiped, but, what is the point of a electric wall "fire" that gives absolutely no heat out.
Frankly, the new garden room we stayed in was a triumph of style over substance,it was souless. But, we pressed on.
That night we dined in the conservatory. We were one of few. The food, was probably, the worst we have ever encountered, due I acknolwedge to high expectations. But,. having dined at Gilpin on numerous occasions, I felt these were reasonble having experienced some equisite food there previously.The two senior managers on duty seemed more interested in chatting to each other.
Next morning we were told they had no sausages for breakfast. Well . When you're paying TOP rates as we were, why didn't SOMEBODY go and buy some, or borrow some from the nearest hotel. Not up to Gilpin standards is the reply I would have expected, but simply could.nt be bothered to solicit.
On balance Gilpin is a stunning place. Some of the staff are lovely, but,.......and this is purely a feeling from within, the place has no spirit of generosity , and believes its own publicity .
We shalln't be going back. Having just been to Whitley Ridge for a night, the gulf is huge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, World Independent Hotel Promotion, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District