We had hoped to go abroad to get some sun but circumstance meant we couldn't. This was an excellent substitute even in the rain and wind with a broken ferry and closed Beatrix Potter house!
We stayed in Buttermere suite which has direct access to the garden. I didn't see the other rooms other than on the website, but this was worth the extra. It had a huge comfy bed, with a jaccuzi and great shower, fluffy towels and robes and best of all, really good service.
All the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. They booked us golf, advised us on walks, and had an excellent knowlesge of the extensive wine list.
Dinner starts off with drinks and canapes and the menu to peruse. Not sure how many wines they had but hundreds at a guess. Large selection of French and South Africa all reasoably priced. Food was seriously good and not enormous portions - which was great as we were staying for more than one night.
Menu changed every night and was local in flavour, There was a separate vegetarian menu.
There is a large proportion of repeat custom which I understand and hope to be one of them sometime soon.
A truly memorable stay that I can't wait to repeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Orbitz so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District