We only went for dinner but the Gilpin experience was so excellent I thought it only fair to post a review.
Due to an illness in the family I I booked a table for dinner at the very last minute for my wife's birthday and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. We live locally in Bowness and haven't been for nearly a year but have constantly heard from friends who always seem to have a great lunch or dinner.
The place is as stunning as ever; as are the the people. You feel relaxed and at home as soon as you arrive and when you walk to the stunning cocktail/champagne bar you feel really spoilt. The cocktail menu and wine list are very extensive but my wife and our cousin had amazing cocktails. I was invited into the wine room by Richard to help me find a nice bottle of light red for dinner and he was of great assistance and more importantly exceptionally knowledgeable. After I had gotten down to 3 reds he made a recommendation which turned out to be amazing.
We eat out at many places in the Lakes and this is a real treat. I would say that Gilpin is certainly on a par (if not better) than L'Enclume. The flavours and textures of the food were amazing. An unexpected culinary highlight of the night was the amuse bouche; a tasty ham hock croquette with an excellent sauce accompaniment.
The service was also of top quality and spot on. Wine and water glasses were always topped up but in a very subtle silver service manner. However, when we engaged the servers they were extremely pleasant to talk with and an absolute credit to the place.
I just hope that the michelin people are watching as I feel Gilpin should be given an upgrade.
Thank you all so much for such a fantastic evening.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Priceline, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District