Found this hotel on Tripadvisor. I liked it a lot, but for the price, there were several small things that I would have expected to be better. The bathroom ventilation was weak (and it was very hot when I arrived becuase the towel rail had been left switched on). The room had lots of little things around it, which was nice, but some of them looked like they had been there for a while. Internet didn't really work in the room that well and finally the decor was a little too old fashioned in some cases...
But - the rest of the place was wonderful. The dinner menu was excellent (although didn't change much the two nights I stayed so might get a little boring if you were staying longer). The wine choice was very good and Ziggy was very helpful in picking out the right wine and the service was impeccable. If this has been a £100 cheaper, it would have got 5 stars, but as the third most expensive hotel I have stayed this year it was up against some tough competition.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Gilpin is a very passionate family and team, dedicated to creating lasting memories for their guests, who return time and again for celebrations and escapes. Warmth and friendliness are balanced with extraordinary service, exquisite décor and stunning culinary experiences. This five star hotel comprises two separate estates in the beautiful Lake District, with a luxury country house on each. At Gilpin Hotel all of the 25 bedrooms have lovely Lakeland views, most leading directly onto the gardens - including six Garden Suites with their own cedarwood hot tubs, and five fabulous detached Spa Lodges. The Spa Lodges were added in 2016, and are cedar-clad with king size beds, gorgeous bathrooms and a fabulously private en-suite spa each, with a convertible treatment area, steam room, rain maker shower, free standing oval stone bath, outdoor sauna and hydrotherapy hot tub surrounded by a walled garden. Add this to the mood lighting, fires, electric blinds and a state-of-the-art music system, and all of the senses are invigorated. Just a mile away at Gilpin Lake House, six gorgeous rooms share a fully staffed boutique hotel with a heated indoor swimming pool (for Lake House guests only), outdoor hot tubs and saunas, and exclusive access to 100 acres of grounds with a stunningly beautiful private lake. Our chauffeurs bring you to the hotel in the evening to dine. Dine in either the Michelin starred main restaurant, 'Hrishi', where Hrishikesh Desai combines great Lake District produce and classic methods to deliver unbelievable textures and flavours with just a twist of Asia, or in 'Gilpin Spice' a new informal restaurant transcending international boundaries, with an open kitchen focussing on dishes from the spice trail spanning the Indian sub-continent, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Japan and China. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Orbitz so you can book your Gilpin Hotel & Lake House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gilpin Hotel And Lake House
- Gilpin Hotel Windermere
- Gilpin Lodge Windermere
- Gilpin Hotel & Lake House Windermere, Lake District