“Great stay, lovely room, very clean and very friendly staff friendly”

Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our mid-week break at Cedar Manor. Dinner was very good, service was even better. Absolutely spotlessly clean throughout. All round excellent, what more is there to say - we shall return. Hope to be back in Autumn, Graham and Margaret.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent break at Cedar Manor. We are delighted with your feedback and look forward to seeing you again later this year, watch out from some special offers on our website for the Autumn.
Thank you again for reviewing.
Caroline and Jonathan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We really did make the right choice in choosing Cedar Manor when we journeyed to the Lakes to get married. Caroline and Jonathan even agreed to be our witnesses at Kendal Council Chamber. Our welcome on arrival, our provided comfort, the warmth and friendliness of the staff and the quality of service and food was exemplary. This was the perfect stay and we really will return on a regular basis. Jonathan and Caroline deserve every success. They work hard, and have found the magical formula of pleasing their guests, efficiency and providing we believe excellent value for money. Thank you so much you two, and to your team - you did us proud!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Windermere Room" which is at the front of the hotel and was all that we...
1  Thank JRF178

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent celebratory break at Cedar Manor. We were delighted to be "chosen" and honored to be witnesses at your ceremony.
Really delighted that you enjoyed the stay and we look forward to welcoming you back many more times in the future.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Very comfortable hotel with helpful staff and attentive hosts. We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent. Good breakfast too so no complaints. Windermere is a busy area so it was great to have a relaxing hotel to come back to.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you very much for such a positive review, we are delighted that you enjoyed dinner, breakfast and the hotel in general.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Having found this hotel whilst looking for a birthday treat we were amazed at the quality and design of the room, (The Coach House Suite) the care, attention and personal service from Jonathan, Caroline and their team. The balance between attention and personal space is perfect. They were so helpful in organising surprises and treats, nothing seemed too much trouble. Food is superb. A lovely romantic ambience in the restaurant with food presented so beautifully, almost too nice to eat, but too tasty not to. We had a family dinner in our Coach House Suite one night which was amazing. With a little prior warning, our friend's dietary requirements weren't an issue. So nice to see. The rooms our family/friends stayed in inside the hotel were all differently designed and of the same quality as ours. Recently we were staying with friends and booked to go to the restaurant here as non-residents. The service, food and experience were to the same high standard we had experienced as hotel guests. We highly recommend the hotel and restaurant and will be returning many times again. A pleasure to find this gem run by such friendly and caring people.

Room Tip: We love the Coach House Suite as you have the best of everything, you are in your own holiday home y...
2  Thank Headshed

Thank you very much for reviewing your stays at Cedar Manor, we are delighted with your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Thank you again for such lovely comments.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at the Cedar Manor Hotel, after an excellent dinner in the restaurant on the first night, we altered plans in order that we could enjoy dinner again on the second night. The hotel was run to a very high standard, the owners and staff were very friendly and welcoming and helped make our stay one to remember. Rooms were beautiful and very clean with comfortable Super King beds to get lost in.
We hope to go back again and intend to treat our sons and their respective wives to a night or two at Cedar Manor.
Thanks again to Caroline, Jonathan and the Staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Windermere Room
1  Thank redted_9

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent break at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and especially dinner.
We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

It has taken me a long time to write this review, as I feel very angry about our experience and passing by the hotel this weekend (to stay at a different hotel), I thought I would take the time to finally write my review. For what I saw of the positive points, of which there were several excellent, I will give an average rating overall.

My husband booked for us to go for a meal on my birthday and our 12th wedding anniversary on 21st July 2013. We arrived and were greeted by Caroline and sat to have a drink in the bar. We instantly had a good feeling and were impressed with the wine. We had apetisers and went into the dining area. Beautiful!! They had clearly put much time and effort into creating a perfect ambiance and we instantly had a good feeling about it.

We looked at the menu and my husband ordered - and I quote:
"Bruschetta - with Blacksticks blue, poached pears and port syrup"
Our starters arrived, my chicken and black pudding terrine was beautiful and accompanied by a glass of beautiful red wine, we were convinced it would be somewhere we would return again and again. Caroline at this time made conversation and was friendly and polite.

However, as my husband swallowed the first bite of his starter, he said his lips had started to swell. He has a serious nut allergy and we later discovered they had used crushed walnuts in the blue cheese.

There was the standard 'V' marked on the menu to indicate vegetarian options and whilst it would be unpleasant for a vegetarian to eat meat it would not be life threatening. There was however no indication, by way of the normal 'N' for the nuts sign anywhere on the menu. At the very bottom of the menu in normal type after all courses and prices are listed it stated 'nut and nut oils are used extensively throughout our kitchens'.

My husband went quickly to get two chloraphenamine from the car and returned two minutes later with his face shockingly swollen. By this time the swelling had reached a point he was barely able to speak. We decided to sit outside in the fresh air, as his breathing was becoming strained. At this point I called NHS Direct and as the situation was worsenning they sent an ambulance. Caroline came outside, but seemed more concerned the main courses were now cooked and what we wanted to do. The ambulance arrived shortly after and she was visibly concerned about other customers and asked us to keep the noise down so as not to disturb the guests (we were not making any noise and we didnt see the need or ask for the blue flashing light) She was clearly very concerned about how it appeared to other guests. That and the wasted food were clearly her main concern. Johnathan did not come outside at all and when I went inside to question the menu I was told there were crushed walnuts in the blue cheese.

The paramedics said my husbands blood pressure was very low and heart rate had dropped to 40 bpm. He was given substantial amounts of adrenaline, chloraphenamine and salbutamol and we were told he would need to go to A and E at Lancaster.

We had parked the car as we had arrived in what appeared to be a parking space, but apparently the back wheel was on the tree roots of the Cedar tree which were over two hundred years old. As my husband was due to go in the ambulance, Caroline asked if I could move the car. Although she did offer to do it herself I was not comfortable with that. Although I didn't feel this should have even been mentioned at such a time, I courteously agreed to move my car.

At 1.30am I was asked to confirm with the hotel what exactly was in the starter. I called and Johnathan answered. The response I got was him frustratedly telling me that he had already told me earlier that it had been the walnuts in the starter. He never even asked how my husband was at all. Their reaction was begining by this point to frustrate me somewhat. It would have at least been courteous of him to ask!!

We returned to the hotel where we were staying at at 6am, after a £80 taxi fare from the hospital to Windamere. So, not only had our anniversary been completely ruined, we had wasted the money on the room we had booked, which we never used, and incurred a £80 taxi fare. and the petrol to and from the Lake District.

We had to return to the Cedar Manor the following morning to collect our car. Beyond the frustration of what happened, this for us was to be the deciding factor on whether we reamined a returning customer or not. Due to the reaction so far we had little confidence, but were open minded. We had discussed the situation and decided that although there may have even been legal implications, that we were to put this aside and consider it an oversight and an error and see what they did to rectify the situation. I believe with any business, mistakes happen, but it is how they are resolved that leave a lasting impression.

When we arrived Caroline had clearly been watching out for us, presumably because the starters and two thirds of the bottle of wine we had drunk had not been paid for. She nearly fell over herself and followed us to the car, whilst it was obvious I needed to go to the car boot to change my evening shoes I had gone to A and E in the night before. I did feel that as honest people this was unnecessary and we would have gone into the reception once I had changed my shoes which at this time of day looked ridiculous.

Caroline first decided to tell us that the duck main course we had ordered had still been pink in the oven and would have been fine if we had not gone to hospital. I have no doubt it would have been amazing. She latterly asked if my husband was ok. After substantial medication and a ruined evening, he by this time simply felt tired and drained. The swelling and breathing difficulties were fine, although he felt just tired for a day or two after. We told her that we had wasted the room fees at the hotel and incurred £80 taxi fare.

We were told as a gesture of 'goodwill', we would only be charged for the wine (which we had had approximately two thirds of, but the rest was not saved) and that they had decided not to charge for the starters. I was to be honest for the first time really furious. I went into the reception silently to pay. Johnathan was sat at the desk and did not even have the decency or grace to greet or acknowledge us. This only added to my frustration.

This was the deciding factor for us. Mistakes happen. Certainly had this been my business I would have never even entertained the idea of charging for the wine knowing we had had all that expense of the taxi and a ruined anniversary / birthday evening etc. I think this was the very least they could have done. Had they been my guests I would have invited them back for a 'nut free' meal to rectify the spoiled occasion at the very least. We were reasonable throughout and never got cross (we could have done). I feel their reaction was beyond disappointing.

I hope in the time it has taken to write the review, that my anger of the presiding situation has dampened and I have given a balanced review. For anyone going to this hotel, I really do believe the food and atmosphere is of the best to be found, (although we did not stay there overnight) and we have visited many many hotels. I think for anyone who has an issue or problem then I would not like to suggest you will have a positive outcome. My biggest regret was to pass the front of the hotel this weekend to go somewhere else, because of no other reason than the very disappointing outcome of our situation. I would have otherwise had the pleasure of returning and recommending the hotel again and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank jamesholden186411
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for your very extensive review. We are very disappointed in your review and you have missed one key thing out. We ask all our our diners when they book if they have any dietary requirement or allergies, so we can address this with you and discuss the menu. Your husband unfortunately didn't advise us of any allergies when asked this question at the time of booking.
If we had been made aware of his severe nut allergy, you would have received appropriate guidance with your menu choices. We have on occasion refused diners with severe nut allergies due to our extensive use of nuts within our kitchens. This is clearly stated on the menu.
At the time your husband ate the starter there was a large walnut on top of the bruschetta and you could see walnuts dressing the plate. Why would he even attempt to eat it?
We were astounded to find out that he had a nut allergy and shocked that he didn't tell us when booking the table or even on arrival.
We are completely the innocent party here, and we are equally annoyed with yourselves for causing this problem. Your husband also also confided in us (and we notice that this review is in his name), that he never tells restaurants that he has allergies, and he has been lucky to get away with it all these years, and chooses to negotiate the menu himself. He further admitted that he hadn't had a reaction to nuts for over 20 years and took the risk in eating nuts on this occasion.

We are sorry that your husband was ill and that your night was spoiled, but all of this could have been avoided if someone had told us that he was allergic to nuts in the first place.

We are very surprised and disappointed that you are both prepared to take risks with your health and well-being and we are being made victims of your in-ability to communicate.

To anyone reading this review, we just ask you to be honest with us regarding any ingredients that you are allergic too - we don't mean, what you don't like, we just need to know what could make you ill if you ate it.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My daughter booked this hotel for Mothering Sunday. We stayed for 2 nights.
It is a charming Manor, a lot of thought has gone into bring this old manor to moderns standards.
The owners Caroline and Jonathan were extremely nice and helpful form the time we arrived.
Our bed room was a bit cramped but adequate. Bed was very comfortable. Probably the room could have been sound proofed better. One of the neighbouring guests knocked on our door well past midnight about the sound of our TV
Food/Breakfast was excellent and the servers very attentive and polite.
We would consider returning here if the price was more realistic.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Lakes.
Caroline and Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Ireby
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!