All reviewsjohn toveyarts craftsafternoon teaamuse bouchemolton brown toiletriesa lake view roomtravelzoo dealsmall balconywine listvenisonlake districtoverlooking windermerepetit foursturn down servicefrench doorsdinner bed and breakfaststunning views
Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

Lovely hotel v grand n well decorated. Our bedroom was v spacious lovely old antique furniture. We had a large balcony with seating which looked towards lake.bathroom had v large bath plus shower v nicely decorated. There was an orchid plant in the room as there was on our dining table. The breakfast was v good with lovely views of the lake. The garden was large with ponds etc. The receptionist was v welcoming n helpful. We would definitely go again.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled on business
1  Thank Jacqui L
Reviewed September 10, 2016

We stayed 2 nights and had a beautiful bedroom with a lovely ensuite the bath was large and 2 good showers. The bed was large and very comfortable and the bedroom itself was large and very nicely furnished. We had a balcony which overlooked the carpark but you could just see the lake from the corner of it. The dining room, lounge and conservatory all looked across the lake. The hotel had large and pleasant gardens.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel overlook the gardens and the lake though our room to the side was quiet enough and had a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2016

The food was delicious and could not be faulted and the view stunning. The welcome was not very warm as we tried to find an entrance without sineage and with more luck than design found ourselves on the terrace at the rear.
Maybe we were unlucky, but having been directed to our table and tackling the lovely crusty bread, made a heck of a mess as there was no side plate.......however we thought this may have been their way as it is often done in France. We apologised to the waitress for the mess an she said "no problem". The fish was lovely but there were a few nasty little bones ........and no fish knife. During the dessert course I noticed the waitress putting out side plates and knives!! When asked how things had been I mentioned the embarrassment over the side plate and no fish knife for the Dover sole. I was told I should have asked for a fish knife! Anyhow, we were given complimentary coffee and petite fours which was appreciated but we wouldn't go again.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2016

Stayed here for 1 night, prior to attending a wedding down the road from the Miller Howe. In general, we very impressed, I am surprised looking at some of the negative reviews about staff being somewhat unfriendly, and we would completely disagree with this, they worked hard and were very helpful.

Room was lovely and views of the lake were to die for. Did have one gripe about the room we stayed in (having no walk in shower), nice bath however but with shower over (very very frustrating having to shower with one hand), and given the price I would have expected a proper shower.

Apart from the this, service was excellent, location very good, bar and communal areas furnished with lots and antiques etc.

The food was very good (although the portions very small), but after all the courses and cheese board we felt full up. The breakfast was more substantial (we both had the full English) was perfectly adequate and varied).

The staff in my opinion very eager to please, and we would certainly return.

A homely place.

Paul Jarrett

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2016

Miller Howe is a bit of a Jekyll and Hide it would appear. Looking at the reviews there are those that have had a fantastic experience with both accommodation and food, and those that have had a totally different experience with the accommodation and food.
We booked one of the balcony rooms which I must say had fantastic views. Room was perhaps a little tired, but ok. We were a little worried about the sign, "do not lean on the balcony railings as awaiting maintenance" !! Our accommodation had been booked based on us having our wedding anniversary at the Miller Howe. Unfortunately the restaurant was full on the day but we decided to book anyway and have a meal in the evening for our anniversary on the following day. We were asked to arrive 15 minutes early for dinner.
Upon arriving at the restaurant we were asked to go into an adjoining room for drinks..... Oh, ok so we sat down. Drinks order was taken and some canapés were put down and the waiter disappeared. We wondered what was in the canapés as no explanation was given. My wife doesn't eat nuts so it was a bit hit and miss. When we asked what was in them, a brief explanation was given. So much better to do this when they are put down.
We were surprised to see the menu feature an Aubergine vegetarian dish, sea trout, a chicken dish and a duck dish. We asked if there was any meat dishes, beef, pork lamb or similar and was told that they don't sell well at this time of year!!-( I might be cabbage looking but I am nor green!) I don't eat fish so that restricted me to either duck or chicken, so went for the chicken.
Being taken into the restaurant we had a great view from the window. I couldn't help noticing that the crockery and cutlery was passed its sell by date and had seen better days, and that my glass had a chip in the base.
After a while the starter arrived. It was ok. A couple at a table next to ours asked where their main course was and was told that there main course would be another 10 minutes as the chef wasn't happy with one of the main courses that they had ordered. 35m minutes later their main courses arrived with ours! My chicken was very bland with little flavour and elements of the dish had the taste and texture that it had been sitting about for a while. I suspect that they keep some of the dishes in a state to re heat, but this came through in the taste. My wife had ordered the duck. The duck has borlotti beans with it but these were left in their skins making them tough. The dessert menu was a joke!! 3 choices, all with nuts, and if you wanted cheese, you had to pay a £6 supplement for it!!
They had an extensive choice of dessert wines all extra but little in the way of desserts. The waiter checked with the kitchen to see if they had anything without nuts in and we were told that the salted caramel delice with "Pralaine" didn't have any nuts in?? Praline traditionally has nuts in it!!- I should have suspected looking at the spelling! The waiter in fairness did offer the cheese course without the supplement as they didn't have anything else. We put the whole affair down to them having a bad day and looked forward to breakfast........ Mistake!
We felt very unwelcome at breakfast. We arrived in the dining room at 9.23 only for the waitress to look at us as if to say "what do you want"...... can we have a table for 2 please. Lots of huffing and puffing, and later we sat at the table that the waitress had laid up for us. Waitress went into the kitchen shouting "Another 2 we didn't know about". After asking whether we wanted tea/ coffee toast etc. the Tea arrived in a pot with 1 tea bag and no hot water to top up the pot. We had 1 slice of toast each. My wife asked for a Danish pastry to start with knowing that she would have to wait 10 minutes for them. (Frozen ready to cook?) I asked for full English but no tomatoes. I got, 1 poached egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 sausage and 5 button mushrooms!
My wife's Danish pastry never arrived, and her breakfast was put down in front of her! By now I had really had enough. Last night I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but breakfast just about did it for me.
This is where I find it difficult to understand the positive comments? I do this for a living as a catering consultant so I do know what I am talking about having been a head chef at fine dining establishments.
Not quite a total disaster and I feel that they are living on the past reputation which may account for some of the positive comments, but very nearly and it could be so much better with a little training and a desire for the staff to want to do more. I thought that they all, with one exception, needed "ironing". A little more effort and desire would go a long way and it appears that I am not the only one who feels like this.

Room Tip: Lake view stunning but make sure railings have been repaired !!
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple