Langdale Chase Hotel
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
The Regent Hotel(Ambleside)
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
1,160 results
All reviewsbaronial hallwedding venuestunning viewsboat housesmall weddingwedding breakfastmain buildingbeautiful hotelwonderful weddinglake districtdaughters weddingperfect settingsecond to nonelog fireroll top bathfrom start to finishwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've been staying at Langdale Chase Hotel, Windermere for the past three years, I love this hotel, the rooms are beautiful and many have stunning lake views, some are used as honeymoon suites. The hotel is within six acres of beautiful gardens which lead down to the shores of Windermere, you can watch the boats going past from Bowness to Ambleside. The hotel has it's own private jetty often used by wedding parties. The Hall is often used for wedding services. The restaurant looks onto the lake and breakfast is lovely with hot and cold selections. All rooms are beautiful and have double beds which are very comfortable, tea and coffee facilities in all rooms. The hotel is not far from Ambleside where you can get a boat to either Bowness or Lakeside and Hayes Garden Centre, Ambleside is a great place to visit and has a restaurant where hot lunches are served which are lovely. If you stay at the hotel and don't have a car, buses will pick you up outside the hotel - just flag them down and you can get back to the hotel from the bus stop opposite Waterhead Pier, Ambleside and they will drop you off at the hotel. It's lovely to wander round the grounds of this hotel any time of the year and smell all the lovely plants. Staff welcome you like old friends and any questions you have are dealt with quickly. You can also stay in the Boathouse which is right next to the shore! Lovely room and views are stunning. Also available is Lake House which has modern bedrooms and all look onto the lake and grounds. These have walk-in showers as well as baths, all rooms have baths and shower facilities. The Conservatory Restaurant is beautiful and looks onto the lake and I recommend their lovely fish and chips and mushy peas which is available all day. You can have meals outdoors too. Their ice creams are delicious too! In colder months log fires are welcoming. No wonder this hotel was voted Best View in Britain!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely both in the main hotel and in the newer Lake House or you can stay in the Boathouse right on the shores of Windermere! Many rooms have stunning lake views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank royaltraveller_12
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay and we are all so pleased that you enjoyed the stunning views we have along with the beautiful award winning grounds which slope gently down to the Lakeside.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

this is a little jewel of a hotel tucked away just outside windermere!being frequent visitors to the lake district i am bitterly dissapointed we did not know about this hotel before.Not one complaint.The best view i have ever seen even abroad.The best and most helpful pleasant staff i have ever met.The room took mine and my husbands breath away noteasy to do but it was a wow!!!And the best of all so very dog friendly it even has part of the grounds just for them.there are also 2 beautiful rooms you can sit and relax in with them and have something to eat.Add to this 1oo per cent value for money needless to say apart from recommending this hotel too all my friends i shall only ever stay at a different one if this one is full or not go at all.A massive thank you to all there and thank goodness we decided to stay an extra night and pulled in there.

2  Thank denise12388

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay and I am so pleased to read that it is everything you wanted and more. Both myself and my team look forward to welcoming you back soon for 1 more night in the lakes.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a fantastic long weekend I had at the Langdale chase hotel, amazing views over lake Windermere to wake up to in the morning. We stayed in the lake house which had the best bathroom I've ever seen with an awsome bath tub! The main house which I have also stayed in is very old school but great fun to stay in. I would recommend this hotel to any couples, and all family's as there is so much to do in the local towns and forests. I have been the past two years and will for sure be going back next year, maybe even sooner if I can. One more thing the food is amazing within the hotel restaurant so try it out! There is however one bad thing about this hotel...WHEN YOU COME HOME. It really is an amazing place which should be visited and once you go once I bet you will be back.

Room Tip: I have only ever been given a lake view room but if you can get one do so as the views are breathtaking.
2  Thank Jake H
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

To read such wonderful comments like these makes all of our hard work seem so worthwhile. Next time make your stay even longer where my team will be waiting to make your stay another memorable one.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel certainly did not meet our expectations. We booked a Deluxe Room but in NO WAY could you describe the room we were given as Deluxe! Our first impression was of dowdiness and a room drastically in need of refurbishment. There was no safe in the room, no refrigerator or bottled water - pretty basic stuff really but for a deluxe room, even in a three star hotel, these facilities should have been available. We travel extensively both home and abroad and know what to expect in different star rated hotels.

As there was no lift at the hotel we had to drag our suitcase and other luggage up four flights of stairs. These were no ordinary stairs, either. They were extremely narrow and winding, almost like a spiral staircase. I would not recommend this hotel if you have any disabilities whatsoever. Unless you are an olympic standard athlete. When we complained to reception they stated that, as a listed building, they were not allowed to install lifts !

All rooms at the hotel are in desperate need of redecoration, everywhere was dirty looking!

In our bedroom the carpet was old, badly worn and stained. The bed linen was of EXTREMELY POOR QUALITY. The pillows were old and lacked liners. The two blankets provided had pulls and numerous holes in them. The day covers looked like they had not been washed/cleaned for months and did not match the curtains which were old, faded and very depressing. All items of furniture were old and battered and looked like they had been rescued from a skip ! The coffee table legs were almost falling off.

The shades on the wall lamps were burnt and dirty with the braiding falling off in places. The table lamps beside the bed looked like they had been purchased from a car boot sale - very cheaply! The upholstery on one of the easy chairs was torn around the base and both chairs were very dirty looking and needed reupholstering. We decided not to use them for that reason.

In the en suite the shower head had a very weak flow and needed cleaning due to a build up of lime scale. There were a number of floor tiles cracked and broken.

All the chairs in the dining room were rickety and I was in fear of them collapsing beneath me,

I think that, as soon as any hotel starts relying on tour groups, as this one is, it is the beginning of the end ! As one tour group left it was immediately replaced with another.

There were two good things about the hotel. The views of Lake Windermere were stunning and the staff, particularly the waiters, were very attentive and friendly. The food and wines were very average and over priced. When choosing your breakfast be sure to avoid the Cumbrian sausages, they are awful.

The only thing deluxe about our stay were the prices charged. I think that the hotel should be drastically refurbished in all areas. WE WILL NOT BE RETURNING OR RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO OUR FRIENDS.

The day after we returned home we received a letter from the Manager responding to our Guest Comment form. He admitted that our room was due for an upgrade (so why were we put in that room and why were we charged deluxe prices). Unfortunately, most of our comments were not addressed.

Room Tip: Best to ask for a refurbished room on the top floor with a good view of the lake but only if you are super fit and travel light.
12  Thank Abrumar
AndrewTighe, General Manager at Langdale Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

We cannot answer this fully, obviously this is one complaint too many and one complaint has led to another complaint and there was no pleasing this guest.

In answer to a few of the queries though, we do not have 4 flights of stairs we are only on 2 floors, and reception as a matter of duty always offer assistance with luggage. We have a dedicated team of housekeepers who are meticulous in all aspects, and our linen is provided to us by a nationwide, prestigious linen company who provide the majority of the top hotels in the Lakes.

In the main house, a lot of the furniture is original furniture from when this was a private house and is antique, from the Steinway in the Piano lounge to the fire places from the 16th Century. If this is an example of worn and torn furniture so be it!

I think the 63 reviews in 45 Cities says it all in my opinion, and we are pleased that the mountains and the lake played ball with him, and that our staff were up to scratch as they always are!

With regards to Cumberland Sausages, we are in Cumbria and I am sorry that we provided award winning Cumberland Sausages, maybe after reading this we should have provided award winning Lincolnshire Sausages. At the end of the day, our wine list is a broad spectrum of generic wines and it is down to people’s preferences and all we try is to provide a comprehensive list.

In conclusion, please don’t think we do not take our guest comment seriously, trust us we will bend over backwards to ensure our guests are well looked after and should they have any concerns, our Management and Service team are on hand to rectify any problems however small as we do our upmost to provide a professional, caring and the best experience we could possibly offer.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just got back from a long weekend at Langdale Chase in Windermere. I dont usually write reviews but really think that this hotel deserves one! The room we had in the lake house was very spacious and spotless, absolutley loved the bathroom with the massive bath and shower! Bed was very comfy, didnt want to get out of it, especially with the views of Lake Windermere, the view of the Lake from our room was breathtaking, really did not want to leave :(
The staff couldnt have been more helpful, nothing was too much for them. The breakfasts were amazing, so much choice. We had dinner in the hotel one evening and I could not fault it even if I wanted to. If you get the chance to visit the Lake District I would 100% reccommend this hotel, I cant wait to get back there as soon as possible!

1  Thank Lauren P

Many thanks for the lovely words regarding your long weekend you have just spent with us. I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous weekend.