The Windermere Hotel
$167
$158
$135
$131
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
$178
$94
Agoda.com
$308
Hotels.com
All reviewsself driveshearings hotelsshearings holidaypremier roomcoast countrymeal timeslake districtevening meallounge barreception staffweekend breakthe general managersingle roomorrest headthe ground floorpublic roomsthree courses
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

had a lovely eve, room was nice n clean fresh decor throughout, room 210 lovely views, not overly big room but we didnt mind, very clean n smelt fresh . white towels n beddind crisp . slight wear in bedroom carpet but very clean definatly 3/4 * thanku coast n country will be returning on a good deal....

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Cfamily43
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Reviewer

Well what can I say except thank you for such a great review. I am delighted you were happy with all aspects of your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I am a Shearings traveller and always happy with accommodation that I am allocated but at this hotel I was very pleased that I was on ground floor and my room was excellent. It was very accessible to the dining areas and the entertainment area and being a bit disabled made life so much easier for me which I really appreciated. At first I thought having to book a time for evening meal would be a problem but not at all, it was very well organised. The food and service was excellent. The only disappointment was that on New Years Day(weather atrocious so could not go out) there was nothing to do but there was a really nice TV lounge so should not complain really. Overall, a lovely holiday and staff could not be more helpful.

Room Tip: Room 21 on ground floor - nice and quiet at all times.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ann T

Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful review. I am pleased your room allocation met your needs and made your stay here much easier. I thank you for your comments regarding the excellent food & staff, they did work extremely hard over the festive period and its lovely to hear this was appreciated.
I agree the weather could have been better on News Years Day!! And your comment about “nothing to do” has been noted and is food for thought for next year.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is
First, the staff are friendly and helpful - good.

Second, the beds are poor. I usually sleep well, but the beds here appeared so cheap and tired, that I had two nights of discomfort followed by two mornings of back ache. I made the hotel aware of this.

Finally, I had to return food - so low were the standards at dinner. What concerned me greatly was that I could give an order and within one minute the cooked food would be with me - indicating marked use of the microwave and/or food heavily pre-cooked. This had disastrous effects upon the flavour. Especially poor were the soups, which seemed heavily bulked with flour; It is so very easy to make fresh simple soups!

Yes, it is a very cheap hotel, but that is no reason for it to be poor.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ge0ffreyHamm0nd

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding the staff. I apologise for your discomfort regarding the beds, this will be looked into.

I must say I am some what surprised regarding your comments regarding the food. As you can see from previous reviews our food is generally not an issue and my kitchen team strive every service to deliver the best they can.
I apologise for not meeting your expectations regarding the food.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with friends on a short walking break. The hotel is set in an imposing location close to the railway station on the edge of Windermere town. The public areas look as if they have recently been decorated. Unknown to us the hotel is a favourite with Shearings and other similar budget price operators, in fact I imagine we were the only ones staying there not on a package holiday. This meant, for example, having to wait to been shown to a table to be served breakfast and hearing countless reminiscences from Shearings regulars about other hotels they'd stayed at. If you're staying there on a package you'd probably think it was great value otherwise I'd suggest staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: The hotel has a small car park. I'd recommend reserving car parking in advance of your stay. An extra £5.00 a day but worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John R
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay here, I must agree the Windermere Hotel is most definitely in a convenient location for local amenities & plenty of beautiful walks.
At peak times unfortunately there will a short wait to be shown to a table due to the volume of guests in the hotel, I am sure you will agree this will happen in any other busy Restaurant.
As a Manager part of the Shearings group I am delighted to hear “Shearings regulars” reminiscing about their experiences in other hotels over dinner / breakfast, I believe this goes to show that as a company we are doing it right.
I wish you a very Happy New year and once again thank you for your review.
Giles

Reviewed December 19, 2013

travelled with shearing long time getting to hotel allthough this was no fault of shearings due to long delay getting through dartford tunnel to the hub so missed the connection ended up getting to hotel via another coach and long taxi ride.had upgraded room which was good but windows could do with secondry glazing,4 poster had ledge all round it so bit difficult to get in and out.Food
staff and cleanleness was first class.The trips that were included were good though i do question the tripsw to a pencil museum and garden centre? hotel in a good position for rail travellers also its anice walk to lake for trips can be cold though.

Room Tip: no pool or fitness centre and you have to book your evening meal times in the morning before you know how long you will be out
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael H

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay here. I am pleased you thought the food, staff and cleanliness were first class, this is always great to hear. Your points regarding your room have been noted.
Once again thank you for your review and I wish you a very Happy New Year, and hope to see you very soon.