“Lovely Hotel but full of pensioners!”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed for just 1 night on our way to the Highlands as a stopover and we really wanted to see lake Windermere.
The staff were very welcoming and accommodating and fit us in even though we did not book. The hotel was nicely decorated in calm, contemporary colours, our room was nice and we had a really great night’s sleep here. Breakfast was really good, evening meal was ok but nothing to write home about.
The down side to our stay was that we appeared to be the only people of our age group staying at the hotel, We are a couple in or late 30's/early 40's and when we went for dinner and breakfast and while in the lobby/corridor and outside areas we only saw coach loads of pensioners, no other couples or families whatsoever. We would have preferred somewhere which had a better mix of age groups, we felt a bit like the odd ones out staying here!

3  Thank MrsP_PLondon
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review of your overnight stay with us, I hope you enjoyed the Highlands.
I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff and I am glad you liked the calm contemporary feel of the hotel.
All travellers mainly require a good night sleep and wholesome breakfast to set up the day, again I am please you got at the Windermere Hotel.
Let’s hope your next visit there will be more of a mix of age groups.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel. We have to say that this hotel is excellent value for money.

The food is great and there is plenty of choice.

The room we had was wonderful. Immaculate and so to was the hotel. There is a lovely lounge/bar area and entertainment thrown in on some nights! The pianist was exceptionally talented. Very relaxing atmosphere.

I have to mention the Manager Giles. He was extremely friendly and could not do enough to make your stay a happy one. He was warm, funny and clearly good at his job as was his team. The staff were very polite, friendly and again went out of their way to please you.

We are re-booking but the next break will be a girlie weekend! The bar has Prosecco! It caters for everyone.

For those of you who may have medical needs I highly recommend this hotel. There is a district nurse who visits and they will support and assist you with ease and willingness.

The location is excellent if coming by train. A 3 minute walk and close to all amenities. We are walkers and it was great for this. Buses are close by.

A big Thank you must go to Giles the Manager and to the rest of his team for making our stay so comfortable. Giles we are booking already thanks to you!

Room Tip: We were fortunate to have the superior room but did see other rooms which were all spacious and clea...
2  Thank Maria187069

Dear Reviewer

What a great 5* star review, thank you very much for your kind words. I recall chatting to you before your journey home and I really did appreciate your positive comments about your stay.
I am glad this good experience has made you book another break with us and I will promise there will be plenty of Prosecco for your girlie weekend. Thanks again for my special mention.

See you again soon

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Having just returned from a late availability Shearings Holiday at the Windermere Hotel at the lake District was pleasantly surprised at the good quality of the food, the pleasant and hard working staff, and the room (no 46) being immaculately clean (although a little dated). The bus driver who took care of safety throughout was good mannered at all times. My only compaint was the length of time it takes to get from our home town to Normanton and then an hour wait at Shearings "drab" Interchange. We last travelled with Shearings in 1997 and the interior and the system hasn't changed in all that time. Apart from that would certainly travel with this company again.

4  Thank sheiladurham
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with Coast and Country Hotels. Your comments are very positive, and I will ensure all the team get to see them - they deserve this praise, and your Tour Driver Andy will also be happy with his special mention.

We will continue to work hard, and hope that next time you stay we can go that extra mile to make your stay worthy of 5* review rating.

Thank you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Windermere Hotel is a Shearings Coast & Country Hotel and, as usual, an old property with failings, but very clean and comfortable. The room was rather small for a Coast & Country hotel and the carpet threadbare in places but, again, it was very clean. Coffee & Tea making was provided, plus TV and an in-room safe. The bathroom was adequate, with shower gel and shampoo provided on arrival but not replenished unless requested. There was also a very frustrating wi-fi, if your luck was in you could get 10 minutes without being disconnected! The staff knew about it and their reply was "it is BT's system, not ours". Not very helpful.

There was a nice but smallish lounge and the dining room was divided up into separate areas so felt more like a restaurant than a cafeteria. There was a good choice of food both at dinner and breakfast. The staff were all very efficient and pleasant. It was also nice to have an a la carte menu with lots more choices at a small supplement. We paid extra for a scenic view and looked out over Windermere town - we could also see the lake, but it was rather a long way away.

The hotel was just above the town, an easy walk down but a hill on the way back! We paid £5 per night for car parking which was well worth while as there was very little parking available on the streets.

We enjoyed our stay and the hotel was fine, but not as good as other Coast & Country hotels we have stayed at. The building may be old and in need of TLC, but the threadbare carpet really needs replacing!

5  Thank Annechad

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
Firstly, I am sorry we did not meet all your expectations and I will investigate the carpet in the bedroom and the very popular free Wifi system...
It was great you found our Restaurant had both good food choice and friendly efficient service from the staff.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you got hassle free parking.
Finally, I am glad to hear you appreciated your scenic view room which over looks Windermere town and Lake Windermere.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days (Monday to Friday) this week. This is a Shearings Coast & Country Hotel and was one of the best we have stayed at (and we have stayed in quite a few).
The hotel is at the top of the hill, 1.5 miles from the lake but minutes away by car or the bus station is immediately opposite. Not a bad stroll down the hill but being pensioners we got the bus back.
Reception staff were efficient and helpful.
Room was excellent but I suggest you go for an upgrade of a superior room at the front of the hotel. It costs just a little extra but well worth it. Always kept spotless by the room staff.
The dining room was very good and never too busy as evening meals are booked daily at a time to suit yourselves.The inclusive menu provides a good and varied selection and further choices are available for a little extra. The dining room staff were very friendly and efficient. I noted from another review that they are too fast and efficient. Not so, If you want time to relax between courses just say so. They are very obliging with everything.
The lounge bar appears small but was never full. Entertainment some nights and the bar staff are very friendly. Like most hotels drinks are not cheap but there are plenty of places to go for a change.
This was the second time we have stayed at the hotel and we would certainly recommend it. We would diflinitely go back again.

Room Tip: I suggest you go for an upgrade of a superior room at the front of the hotel. It costs just a little...
4  Thank Jeff L
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you very much for sharing your “excellent value” experience at the Windermere Hotel.
I am so pleased we met your expectations in so many areas of your stay; we are already looking forward to your third stay with us.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have given the hotel 4 stars but it was close. My wife and I had a superior room with view, for three nights over the bank holiday period. The check in was vey good and on going into the room 124 we were very satisfied,however,when the heating system came on the noise was not acceptable,in fact I put earplugs in to allow me to sleep through it as it came on at 5.30 am,on inspection I could see that the exhaust for the heating went up my wall and out onto the roof. I questioned this with the duty manager who told me,that this was the first time anyone had mentioned it to her,( she perhaps thought I looked a bit simple).
Anyway the stay apart from the heating issue was very good, most of the staff were very good ,and Giles was very willing to help in any issue that arose.The seating arrangements at meal times worked perfectly,and at no time did you feel,that your place would not be available. It was all waiter sevice,and very professional they were too, the food on Table Dhote,was obviously pre plated,and sometimes not as hot as you would have lliked,but it did not spoil the meal, we were both very pleased with the restaurant,and after meal coffee was served in the lounge promptly.
The bar at night was I am afraid only as good as the people behind it,the man who did it one night was excellent,and professional,and the little blonde girl tried very hard,but lots of times the bar was left empty,some preferring to be in the kitchen with friends.
We will be returning to the Windermere,just not in room 124, our stay was very enjoyable,its position is very good,the staff very good,the food very good, oh and the car parking fee,well worth it,and well organised,and also the town of Windermere,much better than it is described in any literature that I read.

Room Tip: Room 124 has noise problem with heating exhaust.
3  Thank flashcheshire

Dear Reviewer

I am so pleased to read so much of your stay was rated so highly including the staff and our priority car parking.
I can only apologise again on the noise that disturbed you during your stay and we are investigating this.
Once again thank you for your comprehensive and positive review.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not long back from our 5 night break at this hotel. Centraly situated for the shops but an uphill
walk back up to the hotel. We chose to pay for car parking at the hotel and we're glad we did
as the town was very busy and could have been a problem. Staff were friendly and helpful.
Our bedroom was on the first floor(lift if needed) it was so small,facing the rear of the hotel
but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was pretty austeer,maid never
replenished the toileteries(shower,shampoo etc) Towel rail was above toilet and never switched
on - and yes the towel fell into the toilet.Remebered to keep lid down after that. Staff in the
dining room very efficient but the service was a bit quick for me - no time to digest 1 course
before next one appeared! Food was satisfactory but nothing special - there was an a la carte
option if you cared to pay extra. Coffee served at the bar where the girls worked hard all
night serving drinks as well. Hotel very busy as lots of Shearings buses coming and going.
Hotel was nothing special but good value for the money spent.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake side room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Janet M

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your recent stay at the Windermere Hotel.
I regret that with a few more little touches we could have made your stay more of a special one, but I am pleased you felt you got good value for money.
It’s great to read you appreciated booking one of priority parking spaces and you found the staff friendly and helpful.