“good but spoilt”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Consett
“good but spoilt”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A very pleasant hotel ideally situated for all main tourist attractions, however our stay was spoilt
with a sub standard room the heating was totally inadequate and had to be supplemented with two oil filled radiators this restricted access to the wardrobe areas
no heating at all in the bathroom , no hot water supply to the washbasin ,cracked window glass and broken window locks .The view from the window was dirty and strewn with debris from the roof a sweep with a brush would have improved it
the heating to the dining area was turned of and quote from the restaurant manageress not my problem Im only here to see to the food and drinks
when I went to complain the receptionist could not distinguish between a complaint and a comment . some serious retraining in client care is needed
The general manager however made notes and promised to correct the problems
would I go again YES but not in room no 29 I was told that the rubbish rooms are kept for coach travellers I do not know?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pappaConsett
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, as we discussed at length during your recent stay with us, I can only apologise again for any upset or misunderstandings caused to you and your wife. I have had a full investigation and I agree with you that we did not look after you to our normal high customer satisfaction levels.
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention and I have already addressed the issues with room 29, so hopefully I will see you again at the Windermere Hotel sometime in the future.

Kindest Regards
Giles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The food and service in the dining room was excellent. Our room was a bit smelly the first day and the bathroom not that warm as the heated towel rail was on a timer. The room wasnt fantastic but it was adequate for the lenght of time we stayed and what we paid and it was cleaned daily. I notified reception that I had tripped in one of the corridors and a trip hazard notice was put on the door. The drinks were expensive and the bar was not large enough for the amount of people that were staying there. It was in a good location and we were able to use our free bus passes for the Open top buses that stopped opposite our hotel. There's a lovely walk from the hotel and there are lots of walk leaflets available from the Tourist board opposite the hotel.

Room Tip: Not good views from the ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andlid
Dear Reviewer

I have passed on your compliments to our Kitchen and Restaurant teams who are always pleased to receive such praise.
We take note of all customer comments and act to make sure everyone’s stay the enjoyable possible.
Indeed our location is excellent, being opposite the bus and train station, and perfect for exploring our beautiful district. I agree the Orrest Head viewpoint walk is well worth seeing, the full 10 miles of Lake Windermere - on a clear day !

Regards
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We booked a last minute one night stay in the Lakes and decided to stay at this hotel due to its location. The staff on checking in were very nice and polite and gave us a free parking space. We booked a basic room and for one night we were not expecting too much. The room was shockingly dusty, dirty with cracked window panes, cobwebs on the ceiling, a hair on the cups, stains on the bedding and the tv was covered in finger marks and grease on the remote! The bathroom mirror still had toothpaste stains on it and the floor was indescribable.
We only entered the room late in the evening and as it was full there was no use complaining. It was just disgusting that even a basic room should be at least clean. We were not expecting the Ritz, just a clean room with a bed and working facilities. There was no hot water and the room was SERIOUSLY outdated. Looking at photos of the Superior rooms looked like it was a part of a different hotel. The hotel does seem very popular but money must go onto the superior rooms and not the basic ones which is a shame. We are glad we didnt pay more for the room or paid for another night as we wouldnt have stayed.
Breakfast next morning was better. The salmon and scrambled eggs were fine (there was a menu choice) and the waiters were very nice. It was not busy but every table was dirty.
On check-out we tried to mention to the man on the desk about the room problems but would not given the time of day and merely cut us of mid-sentence (he seemed to have heard this story before) and asked us to pay.

We go to the Lakes frequently, but will not be staying here again im sorry to say

Room Tip: If you do stay here, AVOID the standard rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank hawkeye1007
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer
I am surprised to read your comments regarding your bedroom. On inspection we did find some minor housekeeping issues and I apologise for this. It is always worth telling us of your dissatisfaction so that we can put things right and give you an enjoyable stay.
I can assure you that we take note of every positive and negative report and investigate to ensure it is right for every guest. I am sorry you felt you were not heard but I can guarantee you that you were.
I hope you will reconsider booking with us in the future
norfolk uk
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at the Windermere hotel as part of a 3 night Shearings New Year coach break. After the drive from East Anglia we were greeted at the hotel and shown our room which was located in a side annexe to the main hotel. The room had been refurbished recently and was up to a decent standard, which we had paid an extra £60 to upgrade to. However the room was always on the cold side, I dread to think what it was like in the March blizzards which swept over Cumbria. As a dawn broke after a night long deluge I was most impressed with the view over the village of Windermere and in the distance the lake of the same name. Breakfast is served in pleasant dining rooms and is cold buffet style with a choice of cooked breakfast served at the table. On inspection the hotel according to a plaque on the outside wall was built in Victorian times when the railway was built. I have a nagging idea much of the interior of this fine hotel was stripped out and destroyed. This is such a shame as gentlemen that have used the downstairs toilets will testify contain a rare example of Victorian marble urinals. The hotel is in a great location opposite the bus and railway station a branch of Booth's supermarket and a real treat for shoppers the HQ of Lakeland kitchen stores. For walkers a footpath adjacent the hotel will take you up to Orrest Head with unsurpassed views of the Lake District. Of course non of this information is available at the hotel. Once again I thought drinks are overpriced £3.80 for a can of Guiness and £14 for a bottle of wine is excessive especially in a overcrowded lounge with a tiny bar and no dance floor. The hotel laid on entertainment for New Year Eve but we decided to give it a miss as there was decent pubs and bars close by and is not really geared up to a New Year party. Before Shearings fans say that I expect 5 star luxury for the price of three, this break cost the best part of £700. Not worth it and won't be going again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ian b
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your New Year stay.
We are very proud of our heritage and have preserved both the Gents marble urinals and Railway features in the Restaurant.
I am pleased to read that the room, view and restaurant were to your satisfaction. We feel our hotel bar prices are competitive with local bars and entertainment suits our guests and the relaxed style of holiday we are selling.
I hope you will consider returning to the hotel, perhaps in the spring, to enjoy more of our beautiful landscape.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel has fantastic views over Windermere. Its in a great location, with the station, shops, bars and restaurants close by. The staff are friendly, polite and very helpful. The lounge has a very nice relaxing atmosphere and the food was nice. The room seemed okay, but I didn't stay in there long, as I wanted to see more of the Lakes. I did enjoy my stay there though, and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: The room on the second floor was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sheldonr510
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel so positively.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the elements of your stay with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next Lakes stay in the future

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

on arrival at the hotel it is very welcoming and the bar and reception area are very modern. we arrived at around midday but couldnt check in until 3 which was no issue as we sat in the bar which was extremely busy but we found a table and got some drinks. no problem here. until 3 we had a walk around the town, which was lovely and the hotel is extremely well located fro access to windermere and bowness.
we got back to the hotel around 6pm and were checked in with no issue. we arrived in our room which was 2 single beds, this was no issue. the room was extremely dated, with orange curtains that had come off at one end of the track but upon first glance the room seemed clean although dated.
off we went out that night and didnt really use the rooms bathroom facilities of shower and bath until the following morning which was when the horror struck. turned the shower on which was fine and then pulled back the shower curtain to find it had rather large brown scum stains on and on the back of the back where it met the tiles were black hairs and on the bath mat were black scum stains. As it was so early on in the morning I didnt call reception on finding the mess but cleaned it up myself. I decided not to put the mat in the bath and to have a shower with the curtain open as would have felt more dirty after this had touched me. Until I found this mess in the bath I was quite happy with the room.
I alerted reception to this on my check out whom was the asst manager, but she didnt really seem to interested and said she would get housekeeping to go and check the room. obvously this was no use as I had already cleaned the mess up. Surley the room should have been cleaned prior to my arrival or so i would have hoped.
Overall a nice hotel in public areas and a fab location, shame about our room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank cidermad
gunner196440, Assistant Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer

I was surprised to see your rating/ review when our conversation had been so generally positive on check out.
On check out I assured you that the points would be investigated and again I thank you for bringing them to my attention. Housekeeping removed the shower curtain and after checking I found the small stain you mention. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.
I’m glad both you and your parents enjoyed the other elements of your stay and I hope you return in the future.

Joanna
Assistant Manager
blackpool
Reviewed March 24, 2013

hotel in an excellant position ovelooking windermere town. shops rail and bus close bye. we stayed on a half board basis and enjoyed the food. plenty of variety. excellant breakfast. wide range of cereals and fruit and the full english with a choice of how you liked your eggs. also choice of lighter meals if you are watching your weight.staff were very helpful and efficient plenty of hot water in the room, shower and bath good. nice size double bed, tea and coffee topped up every day. two coach trips included in the bargain price. an excellant five day break.

Room Tip: higher floors have an excellant view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jgun4435
gunner196440, General Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel, it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay I hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Once again thank you for your wonderful review.

Regards