1,363 results
All reviewsdamson ginafternoon teamiss pottermichelin starthe main housetower roomhunting lodgehot tubpeter rabbitarts and craftsspa treatmentsamuse bouchethe general managerstunning viewstasting menuscallopsturn down service
Reviewed May 23, 2016

Went to sample to cuisine here as we had heard on good authority that the food was excellent and location was beautiful. The building was wonderful, we were greeted warmly and looked after very considerately from start to finish by every member of staff. The contact wasn't too much or intimidating, it was just right! We were lucky enough to be sampling one of the 'taster menus'. It far exceeding my expectations, with the beautifully created art work on a plate for each course, the colours, textures and flavours were sublime . Although we had 8 courses I didn't feel uncomfortably full as each dish was exactly what it was meant to be a 'taster' and BOY what tastes we had. We will return and share our experience.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view and you wouldn't be disappointed
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
4  Thank KazzaTTT
Reviewed May 22, 2016

It is good not being a professional travel and restaurant critic. The problem however in giving five stars is what do you do when you find utter perfection as opposed to exceptional. This was my challenge at Holbeck Ghyll. The nurse and I stayed en route to Scotland and had an evening meal in the most delightful restaurant with views over Windermere that was better than breathtaking. Our meal was total perfection. From the amusee bouche of tomato soup with mozarella and cherry tomato, a beautiful chicken dish too complicate to describe, goats cheese for the nurse, followed by cod with shrimp and a cumbrian lamb dish beyond good and a caramel and chocolate dessert with peanut. A great wine list, more half bottles than normal and a fair choice by the glass, including a vintage champagne. So what is the problem? No way to give 6 stars! That means must find a microscopic fault and there was one. I am gluten free requiring and the pre dinner canapes provided were all gluten free, even for the nurse. The nurse did not get the wonderful choux pastry of others, so not 6 stars, but one of best meals been so fortunate to eat, ever. If within 50 miles go there, no if within 100 miles. Booked another three days on way back.

Room Tip: Stay as long as you can
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank N3RVE
Reviewed May 21, 2016 via mobile

My friend and I went here for a fab day. Hot tub with fantastic view off the lake and hills . Spa girls were very friendly and helpful. Afternoon tea was very filling and plenty of cakes , tea and coffee. Would highly recommend this hotel, either for the day or a stay over .

Stayed: May 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank karen m
Reviewed May 20, 2016

Set in the Lake District with a glorious lake view, this hotel has all the charm you'd expect. Great for a quick relaxing getaway. Ideal for a romantic break. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast is standard fare yet delicious. Dinner is outstanding with an excellent wine list.

Stayed: May 2016
Reviewed May 17, 2016

I had a spa day here with two treatments and afternoon tea. I wouldn't hesitate to go again and the Travelzoo voucher made it excellent value.
The spa is small but the staff manage the timings so that there is plenty of space for everyone. There is a good sauna, a steam room, a relaxation room with herbal teas etc, a hot tub and a lovely patio area with amazing views. My treatments, a back massage and salt scrub were both excellent. I'm not a huge hot tub fan but this one does have lovely views. The bookings were managed so that I was able to use it alone rather than with strangers. The only reason this review wasn't five stars was that the hot tub was rather grubby by the time I used it at 4pm. This would not stop me coming back though as everything else was perfect.
Since I was alone I was asked if I wanted afternoon tea in the dining room (busier) or one of the peaceful lounges - that was thoughtful. I had it in a lovely, grand room with more stunning views. The cakes and scone can only be described as heavenly. The macaron was crisp outside, gooey inside, just as it should be, the scone seemed fresh from the oven - you could tell everything had come from an expert kitchen. I would definitely recommend this spa day, especially at the special offer price.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo