We have dined at the Holbeck Ghyll on several occasions In the past, but our visit last weekend was a disappointment. They seem to be catering for too many people to cope efficiently and smoothly. As a result , we all felt overcrowded and slightly rushed.
As an example, on arriving the reception rooms were full so we were given seats in the hall, close to the front door and the entrance to the only (unisex) toilet downstairs, which meant that we had a constant stream of people passing by, accompanied by blasts of icy air from outside. Our drinks took an age to arrive.
The food was good, but unexciting. There are many other places in the Lakes where you can eat better. The staff were generally attentive, but there were so many guests that the service was not all it could be.
We live locally, so did not stay at the hotel. I don't think we will bother to eat there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District