“Nearly perfect”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Seascale, United Kingdom
“Nearly perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We have wanted to stay and dine here for some time. The wait was rewarded. It's reputation was justified. Superb location, staff very friendly and efficient, room very good. Dinner was excellent - the Michelin star is well deserved. Food well presented and interesting - superb cooking. Breakfast could have been improved with a better fruit salad and a fruit compote; and our dirty plates could have ben cleared. Otherwise this is one of the best hotels and dining in the Lakes.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Good point about the fruit salad; something that my team and I will improve. However, I am cross about the plates...they should have been cleared; a strong word has been had with my restaurant team! However, I was glad that you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Holbeck Ghyll in the very near future. Thank you for also taking the time to post such a great review.

Andrew and the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Polite, relaxed, friendly service and a very pleasant room followed by a superb meal with an excellent wine. What more can you want? Perhaps the option of a trickle of whiskey on one's porridge next morning?

1 Thank Cratcliffe
What a great review; perhaps the best I have ever read on us! Delighted that you like us and the quirks. Come back and see us again soon, in the meanwhile, keep a wee dram close early in the morning!

Best wishes from us all.

midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I arrived at Holbeck Ghyll on 11th Feb, for a 2-night stay. It was a for a special birthday, and my husband had arranged for champagne and flowers to be in the room when we arrived. We were delighted to be offered an upgrade at no extra cost, and were thrilled with our room, which was now a suite. On the second night we had the gourmet dinner and went with the sommelier's wine recommendation for each course. It was nothing short of excellent. The real surprise was the dessert - the chef had piped 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' on my dessert plate in chocolate fondant! (how did he know? - excellent communication between the staff, I suspect). Anyway, it was a lovely surprise to finish an outstanding meal.

Although this hotel is not cheap, the seamless service, attention to detail and ability to listen and act on customers views makes it an outstanding establishment. This is not the first, and will certainly not be the last time that we stay at Holbeck Ghyll. This place is an absolute gem.

1 Thank eclecticdiner2013
Glad we got it so right...and that you enjoyed your birthday surprise. Thank you for taking the time to review us and thank you very much for such a positive one. We all hope that you come back soon; keep an eye on our website for some great special offer as well.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Had a wonderful lunch today. The service was first class and the staff were very friendly. We had fantastic food and managed 3 courses. Pleasantly full. We had a very clear day and fantastic views. A place to visit. We will be back.

1 Thank Dawn F
Thank you very much for your review and taking the time to write such a positive on. We are all glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope that you return to see us very soon.

CUMBRIA
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,502 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Visited with my wife for a romantic night. The place is in a beautiful setting and we stayed in room 4 in the lodge, one of the lower rooms. The views are stunning looking over the Lake. The hotel is east to access and has a small bar area with very pleasant sitting areas dotted around. The room was very comfortable but ---- there was an inter connecting door with the next room. This was not an issue at first but when the occupants of that room, 5 I think, started to smoke, the smell drifted straight into our room. This was not only unacceptable but uncomfortable! We did make a call to reception and eventually the smell went, however a better seal on the door would be more useful. Given that the comfort levels in the rooms are good. What must also be said is that the food here is fantastic! The sommelier is excellent and the wine list vast, in fact all the staff are great and friendly. The breakfast lacked something but all in all my experience was good. We tried this place as we are regulars of a Hotel near by The Gilpin Lodge but feel that it did fall short of expectations. If I returned it would be in a different room. I would advise this doesn't stop anyone going but make sure you choose the room well. When Hotels charge such high rates the full experience should match!

Room Tip: Insist on a non connecting room if you don't smoke!
7 Thank MULCASTER2
Thank you for your honest review; your comments regarding the smoke have been taken on board and we are improving the seals between the rooms. Please accept my apologies for the other guests who broke our house rules; it is very clear it is a non-smoking hotel.

We do hope to see you back with us and we will make sure that you get a room that you will approve of.

North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed here for the weekend in January for my husband's birthday. Overall it was a good stay but I cant say on my next trip to the Lakes i would book here again. I booked this hotel as it had great reviews, took dogs in the lodges and had a michelin star. We booked the Ultimate Winter Weekend package at 410.00 per night which included the room, dinner, B&B and a few extras such as spa treatment each, hot choc each day etc.

When I booked over the telephone I explained that I didn't want a room with a connecting door because they are always noisier rooms. I was directed to book a room and when I got there, found it had a connecting door. The reception were very pleasant and went to see what other rooms were available. They rang the room and started by saying the cottage next door was free but would cost, I think an extra 40.00 per night. After this they added that the connecting room next door was empty for the next two nights.....I said I was happy to stay in the room then, but the first impression I got was even though it was their mistake, they wanted me to pay extra for another room....I just didn't expect this standard of hotel to say that.

The room had a lovely view, it was very clean and bed comfortable with a good size bathroom and decent shower, but for the price, it just didn't have anything to wow me or give it the edge over other hotels. For e.g the biscuits in the rooms were just the average hotel pre packaged, again with a good restaurant and plenty of local suppliers I would have expected something 'handbaked'. On the second day we had UHT milk cartons not fresh milk....none of it says 'special'. As we had our pets with us they had a note in the room saying please use the pet throw and towel, and complimentary dog treats but there was no throw and dog treats in our room....I didn't mention it as it seemed petty. I must say there were complimentary Damson Gin and chocs in the room which were lovely but the other things took the shine off them.

The spa was great but I guess my biggest gripe was the restaurant. Breakfast was really lovely. The dinner was good but I've had much nicer in Michelin star restaurants. On the Saturday night, my husband's birthday they showed us to a table in the bay window. The curtains were drawn but there was a terrible draught coming from underneath the window seat..as soon as I sat down I noticed it and asked to sit at another table. The said they knew it was draughty and midweek they don't sit people there but on a weekend when they are busy they have to use it. They moved me to the only other table they said was available which was another window seat with another draught. I sat quietly but said I wasn't happy. They then came back and said they had another table I could sit at and this was fine. They resolved the situation, and the staff were very attentive, but it is a Michelin star restaurant and they shouldn't be expecting customers to be uncomfortable during their meal. It was my husbands birthday and it put a damper on things....I was a resident at their hotel, paying 410.00 per night but by doing that It felt that I wasn't important enough.

The staff were very polite and attentive throughout our stay, and don't get me wrong its not a bad hotel but I guess my expectations were raised by the price I was paying and the other great reviews but for me the reality was it just didn't quite meet it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AgaSagaNorthWales
I was very sorry to read about your poor levels of service that you encountered; we should have been much more gracious in admitting our mistake. I am also so sorry about the missing dog treat and throw - there is no excuse for this and I have spoken at length with my housekeeping team, who send their apologies. With regards to the draught, we have now fixed this and it should not affect anyone else; I am just sorry that it affected your stay.

I would be very happy to liaise with you directly or by my email at the hotel; that way I can amend your note to ensure that when you are planning a return to the Lakes we are in a much better position to meet your expectations.

Yours sincerely

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Couldnt fault the food. Me and my boyfriend had dinner here and enjoyed every course. It says 3 courses but you also get tea/coffe and chocolates etc, in the lounge area. The scallops and sea bass were the tastiest I have ever had and the service top notch. Well worth a trip if you are in the lakes.

• Stayed January 2014