My husband and I have been staying at Holbeck for over 15 years for special occasions i.e. birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc. We stayed for 2 nights on 16th and 17th December 2013 for my birthday. We booked a few weeks before hand and as usual requested any room in the main house, as they are usually all great. We were allocated room 6, which we couldn’t recall staying in before. The room itself was decorated lovely however there were 3 areas of concern 1) the bed was far too hard. The only position to get comfortable was lying on one’s back. I woke up a few times with pins and needles down my arm, as the mattress was so hard. I mentioned this to reception the following morning who informed me that most of the mattresses had been changed in the last 12 to 18 months, so changing rooms would not help the situation. I requested a second duvet to be placed under the bottom sheet which helped a little on the second night. 2) The second problem was the noise coming from a locked cupboard behind the headboard on the left hand side of the bed. The noise woke me early in the morning between 6am and 7am and again on retiring to the room to get ready for dinner. It sounds like either water pipes or ventilation etc. Thankfully, the noise could not be heard when we retired in the evening around 11.00pm. I would consider explaining this issues to guests in future and offer a room reduction. Some guest may not mind the early morning noise. I didn’t appreciate it. 3) The third but minor issue was with regards to the shower. It was difficult to get the right temperature of water and the shower head was not very powerful. I have long hair and it took a long time to shampoo and condition due to the lack of speed of the water coming out of the showerhead. Everything else was fantastic - food, wine, service, ambiance, spa was out of this world. Gourmet meal with accompanying wines was fabulous. Holbeck - please just consider these small points, as I think I may be trying somewhere else this year! Sorry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District