“Sorry - Good but not as good as it used to be.”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Holbeck for over 15 years for special occasions i.e. birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc. We stayed for 2 nights on 16th and 17th December 2013 for my birthday. We booked a few weeks before hand and as usual requested any room in the main house, as they are usually all great. We were allocated room 6, which we couldn’t recall staying in before. The room itself was decorated lovely however there were 3 areas of concern 1) the bed was far too hard. The only position to get comfortable was lying on one’s back. I woke up a few times with pins and needles down my arm, as the mattress was so hard. I mentioned this to reception the following morning who informed me that most of the mattresses had been changed in the last 12 to 18 months, so changing rooms would not help the situation. I requested a second duvet to be placed under the bottom sheet which helped a little on the second night. 2) The second problem was the noise coming from a locked cupboard behind the headboard on the left hand side of the bed. The noise woke me early in the morning between 6am and 7am and again on retiring to the room to get ready for dinner. It sounds like either water pipes or ventilation etc. Thankfully, the noise could not be heard when we retired in the evening around 11.00pm. I would consider explaining this issues to guests in future and offer a room reduction. Some guest may not mind the early morning noise. I didn’t appreciate it. 3) The third but minor issue was with regards to the shower. It was difficult to get the right temperature of water and the shower head was not very powerful. I have long hair and it took a long time to shampoo and condition due to the lack of speed of the water coming out of the showerhead. Everything else was fantastic - food, wine, service, ambiance, spa was out of this world. Gourmet meal with accompanying wines was fabulous. Holbeck - please just consider these small points, as I think I may be trying somewhere else this year! Sorry.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully. Don't book room 6 unless you like a really hard mattress and don'...
2  Thank seansid
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Don't go. We are always improving bedding and new mattresses. I am very disappointed that my team did not offer to show you around and I have had a word with the team. Please accept our apologies. Please do give us a call when you have a date in mind to return and explain the issues that you had and we can make sure that your next room is more preferable. I would be grateful if you could email me your name, via the Tripadvisor contact email, so that I can make a note in your booking profile.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was our 6th stay at the lovely Holbeck Ghyll but our first Christmas and it was everything and more what we hoped it would be.

There was a lovely atmosphere around the place and everything available you could want for a fabulous Christmas in a beautiful Country house hotel.

This is my favourite Hotel in the Lake District and being a fusspot it ticks all the boxes for me - the food the wine the staff the rooms and of course the amazing views.

It is'nt cheap but the best never is!

1  Thank barbie M
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Recently had short stay here for my Birthday.We chose to stay in one of the lodges having done so previously and it didn't disappoint.
Accommodation of a very high standard with view to die for.
Staff very friendly and welcoming and service excellent.
Food superb with plenty of choice and all cooked to perfection.
Always a pleasure to stay here and I'm sure we will return soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for one night between Christmas and New Year.

The building has a lot of charm about it, which looks very inviting with it's open fire places and numerous sofas although it does look a little tired.

The view of Windermere from our bedroom window was spectacular although again, the room was a little basic.

All of that said, the food and the service in the restaurant is excellent and is well worth a visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have just spent the weekend at Holbeck Ghyll, we will definitely return. The bedrooms are sumptuous, magnificent views over lake and hillsides, (room 4). What can I say about the food and the service. The food is outstanding, the flavours, textures and presentation ten out of ten, equal to any top restaurant in London and better than some. The service throughout the hotel is faultless, from front desk, waiters, waitresses and management. Can not recommend this hidden retreat enough.

Fiona and Max

1  Thank FionaSamuelsRadnor
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Undeniably expensive, but you get what you pay for! We stayed in Ghyllside, one of the cottages in the hotel grounds. It is beautifully appointed inside with an open fireplace, two double rooms (one en suite) and a single, with a spacious lounge down 3 steps with a hot tub outside (yes, we did use it, even in December!). We took my 91-year old mother, who has some difficulty with steps, but she managed the internal steps quite easily (although the two steps into the cottage were a little high for her). The staff are, as ever, friendly without being familiar, and seemed to be in very good heart, despite having to work over Christmas. The food, as ever, was excellent (and plentiful, judging by the complaint my weighing scales made on my return home!). Well done, Holbeck Ghyll!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jonathan L
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Even with a three for two nights' offer the HB is at the limit of our budget, so not cheap by any means. However, it is absolutely worth every penny. It was the only Michelin starred restaurant in the Lakes until L'Eclume came along, but even that would be hard pressed to equal or better the quality of food, imagination, presentation and service. Our visit was faultless throughout. We went in late September and took advantage of the 3 for 2 offer even though it did not officially start until the last day of our stay.
We stayed in the annex, Benjamin Bunny if memory serves, as we take our dog everywhere and this is the only area they are allowed.
The choice at dinner is wide enough for all tastes, and even then the staff are obliging. My wife fancied one dish but without the sauce, prawns etc...no problem and a customised plate of delicious food duly arrived. Nothing is too much trouble.
Yes, £760 for three nights is still expensive, but absolutely worth every penny.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Annex for dog owners has wonderful views of the Lake. Go for one on the top floor at either end (ro...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple