“Fabulous views”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Fabulous views”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I can't give an overall review as we only stopped for coffee but the views from the terrace are fantastic and the service spot on. Got the impression that this is a classy place to stay! - we took away a brochure in case our numbers come up. At £8 for a cafetiere, quite a pricey cup of coffee but I suppose we did get a priceless view thrown in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review; we all suggest that you should drop by for afternoon tea!

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed for just 1 night recently with our 3 dogs and were in the Langdale Suite. Our second visit and last time we were not that impressed but were aware that the Manager was away. He was here this time and this was noticeable. The staff were friendly and attentive at reception and genuinely seemed warm. Our room was a strange shape but the bed was soooo comfy it was difficult to drag my self out. We had dinner in the restaurant and we thought the food was very good and very pretty. The staff seemed to be rushing around a lot and the service was not calm. Maybe a lot of the staff were new? Be prepared to wait for dinner as we booked a 7.30 for 8.00 table and did not start to eat until 9pm.
Overall we did enjoy our short visit and we firmly believe that the standards are much improved in the restaurant than they were a few years earlier (i think they temporarily lost their Michelin star just after our 1st visit). We had an inclusive package of dinner, bed and breakfast, add to that a half decent bottle of wine of around £110 we came away with little change from £600 for 1 night.. We were laughing as we had just had a terrible week in a cottage in Skye and we joked that the whole week had been about the same price... I know what I prefer Holbeck Ghyll, thank you for giving me a night of luxury!

Room Tip: Take time to choose the best room for you as they are all so different... The views of Lake Winderme...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Sus,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I was disappointed to read that you were not impressed on your recent visit when I was not around. Ever manager hopes that his team are as good as, if not better, when he is not there so I was sorry to read that. However, I was heartened that you felt this stay was much improved.

The summer time is our busy time but, as a team, we should not give the impression that we are out of control! David has always retained his star but we must always remain on our toes, and I have noted your comment regarding the wait prior to dinner.

Of course, I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay, however, my team and I plan to work a little harder on the details following your review.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 3 nights at Holbeck Ghyll feeling really refreshed. It was the first time we'd stayed there and we found the food delicious, staff friendly and helpful, the views spectacular and rooms comfortable. Stefan, the sommelier, is the star of the show and we learnt so much from him in a short time, including how to drink fino sherry with smoked salmon! A great combination that really works. I always thought wine was an adjunct to food, but Stefan persuaded me otherwise with his choice of Riesling with quail, foie gras, grapes and Sauternes - one of those experiences I will remember for a lifetime. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. A tough ask considering the temperatures. I don't believe the comments about the staff being snobby: I found the reverse, they were friendly and approachable - maybe some writers have an inferiority complex! The dress code seems quite relaxed and I spotted some jeans in the dining room, although it has to be said that most women wore dresses for dinner whilst the men sported open necked shirts with about 1/10 in ties - but this may have been the temperatures in the 80s!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judith041
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. I have passed on your kind words to Stefan, who blushes from such praise! I am also glad that you found my team engaging and approachable as that is what we do try to aim for.

Can I suggest that you sign up for our monthly E-Shots? In here, we regularly list our special offers and any discounted rates. We promote these to our past guests first, before putting them on the internet for the general public. That way, our favourite people get the special deals.

Dress Code! Well, there's a topic! Our policy is now to ask that the gentlemen put as much effort into dressing for dinner as their partners do. Men, take note! People are more relaxed but it is always sad when the ladies look stunning and their male friends look like scruff-bags.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and both myself and my team would love to welcome you back soon.

Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was out fourth times at Holbeck Ghyll and it just gets better and better. Andrew McPherson and his team are to be congratulated in the running of the house. Tom and his dining room staff, Stefan and his expertise in the wine department (just ask his advice in matching wines to your choice of food and you'll be in wine heaven!), David and his receptionist are always welcoming and David and his brigade in the kitchen with his Michilin star are always on song and produce a wonderful dining experience. Our only gripe is that they wont move further south to be nearer our home in Hertfordshire!!!

Room Tip: The much underrtated Terrace suite gives the visitor the experience of their own lounge area and exc...
3 Thank raeside_auld
As always it was super to see you both. Thank you for spreading the word about our Terrace Suite - you are right in your description! We are still looking for ways to move us all closer to Hertfordshire but are failing miserably!

Best wishes to you and your lovely wife.

Andrew, Jane and Daisy.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed in the Holbeck Ghyll many times over the past decade. Always excellent, but I think there has been a subtle shift over the past three years or so. The hotel seems now to rely more on larger parties from abroad than it did before. This makes the atmosphere more relaxed and the hotel more crowded, but it also has taken away some of the sense of grandeur and high standards. Food was still excellent though.

Room Tip: You must have a lake view.
1 Thank HeungGong
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review; I would like to reassure you, and other Tripadvisor readers, that our business mix remains the same. We have, in truth, reduced the number of tour groups staying at the hotel. However, this year we have seen a huge increase in independent Australian, Japanese and American visitors. These independent travellers could be easily confused with a group.

I am disappointed that you feel that the atmosphere of the hotel has changed but not for the better. In general, the trend has been towards a more relaxed and friendly approach away from what could be termed as 'starchy and stuffy'. Some readers will be more accepting of this general shift in society and we will try harder to walk that tightrope between the two and strike the correct balance. Feedback such as yours helps us to examine our standards and re-evaluate our successes.

I do hope that you will keep returning to see us as my team ad I really appreciate your business over such a long time. On your next visit, I would be delighted to sit down with you and listen to your feedback in general so we can keep ourselves on the right track.

andover
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as part of a competition win. This included afternoon tea which was delicious and a gourmet dinner - wow! Everybody there was so welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Food was the best I have ever eaten. The rooms were delightful with little touches to make you feel even more spoilt. Gorgeous hotel, I would defiantly go again given the chance. Thanks to everybody there for making our stay so special :)

• Stayed June 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves in the lakes. I have pinned a copy of your review to our staff notice board as such kind comments does wonders for our morale!

Myself and my team look forward to welcoming your back for your next visit to the lakes.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

On the basis of a friends recommendation and many positive reviews on tripadvisor we went for the Whit holiday weekend. The Hotel is quaint in a beautiful setting with views of the Lake. What let it down was the food, or rather food service.
On the first night we book a table at 7.30. It was 8.30 before anyone came for our orders and 9.00 before we were seated. Food was technically very good, when it arrived, but service slow.
Second night we gave them every chance: we booked the table first thing in the morning and all ordered the chef's menu to speed things up. Wrong! Only a one hour wait for the table. They seemed more intent on serving outside diners than (captive) hotel guests. In the restaurant it took an hour between courses so that our main course arrived at 11.00pm. This was the Chef's special, pigeon. Most people cook pigeon rare, which I don't mind. But RAW and WARM is not rare! Disgusting. Three guest sent it back uneaten which did not even merit a comment from the kitchen.
Michelin Star!!! Surely there is more too it than food. The kitchen was totally incompetent. It strikes me this hotel has got greedy, fitting in more tables without additional staff or kitchen space.
Avoid!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ric P
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
I am very sorry to read that you had a long wait for your table. We always do our best to try to make sure people sit on time however sometimes things don't go according to plan. As you remark, for it to happen a second time, is very disappointing; please do accept our apologies for this.

I was also disappointed that you felt that your pigeon dish was not up to your expectations. David and I have discussed your comments in depth and he joins me in sending his apologies.

Yours sincerely