“Disappointed”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
surrey
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had not visited Holbeck for some time as we have, until fairly recently, been firm aficionados of the Sharrow Bay experience ( but let's not talk about that, eh? )
I do remember on our last visit the food at Holbeck was absolutely exceptional, but this time I have to say we were both rather unhappy with both the food and the level of service.
Everything started off o.k. with excellent canapes - beautifully truffled - and a fantastic amuse of smoked chicken and celeriac veloute. After that however, everything seemed to go downhill.
For both my wife and myself, both the starter and main courses were completely unremarkable and desserts were just about o.k.
Service was painfully slow and we weren't offered any more bread nor were our glasses topped up at any time!
It is the easiest thing in the world to shoot down a very poor restaurant, but this isn't one of those. I just hope complacency isn't setting in as that would be a great pity!
Oh, one small thing, a great big vase of lilies in a dining room is a desperately bad idea, the scent was overpowering!

2 Thank Hungry_Horace_Surrey
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Thank you for your review and I want to reassure you that we are always looking for ways to improve. I have discussed your comments with Tom, our Restaurant Manager and David, the Head Chef. Both join me in sending our apologies for not meeting your expectations on this visit.

I do hope that you come back and see us again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have just returned from another weekend at Holbeck ghyll and it was superb as usual.Having stayed a few times we are working our way through the rooms!!-this time we chose one of the Lodges Squirrel Nutkin.
The welcome you receive when you walk through the door is warm and sincere and the reception staff show you to your room,help with luggage etc.
The restaurant/lounge staff are welcoming and polite and nothing is too much trouble-the service here is first class.We stayed 2 nights but only had dinner once as had made plans for the other night.Dinner menu is varied and the food amazing and beautifully served-full marks to the chef and staff.
The Lodge was beautiful-warm and cosy and with a view to die for!!There is a balcony to sit and enjoy this view and we did-even though it is January!The room is well decorated and furnished and it is a pleasure to stay there.
This visit was a treat for my Birthday and what a place to spend it.Holbeck Ghyll just seems to get better each time we go-well done to everyone because the view alone isn't enough to make a great hotel its the people themselves that do that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
My team and I are delighted to read that we made your birthday special. Good reviews are great to have - but reviews where we have made someones day spurs us on!!

Do come back and see us in 2013.

Runcorn
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and I have just returned form a two night break at the Holbeck Ghyll.
We last stayed there seven years ago, and infact I proposed to my partner at the hotel!
Last time we stayed for four nights. Our stay then was exceptional!
This time, we only stayed for two nights , due to work commitments, and this time we booked a lodge out with the main hotel , with a Lake View. ( The Jeremy Fisher's lodge).
The accomodation was superb-just like last time. We ate dinner on both nights. We had full afternoon tea on arrival . We ate breakfast on both mornings, and we sampled two bottles of wine whilst at dinner from the Hotel's extensive wine cellar.. The food and wine is to die for! Sumptuous!
My partner had a facial in the spa, and I used the steam and sauna facilities.
This hotel has exacting standards! This hotel SETS the standards and it also MAINTAINS the highest standards, and Im sure it manages to do so because of the truly exceptional staff it employs !
Fantastic experience from start to finish . I would recommend this hotel to everyone.
Roy Halsall and Debbie Kirk. -Cheshire. 05.01.13

Room Tip: The Jeremy Fisher's lodge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
My team are thrilled with your review - I have taken a copy and pinned it to the staff notice board. Reviews such as yours do wonders for our morale on the long dark evenings!

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a great review. Do come back and see us in 2013!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Ignore the negative reviews of Holbeck Ghyll. I am a very hard to please customer and when I pay top dollar I expect top dollar service. The team at Holbeck simply blew me away with their professionalism, their understated class, their attention to detail and the comprehensive way they took complete ownership of giving us the most perfect wedding day we could ever have imagined. Greg and Tom....I take my hat off to you and your teams!
Blessed with a jaw dropping location you are immediately enveloped in the cosyness of the house and a team for whom nothing was too much trouble. The 3 course menu was on a totally different level backed up by impeccable and attentive service. Of course I can't speak about all the rooms but ours was stunning and I find it very hard to believe that anyone could ever be disappointed with the accommodation in such an old historical house unless they are only able to respond to the soulless modernity of a Sheraton. You come here to experience the class of Old English Heritage, not to balk at an uneven floor or a less than ceramic bathroom.
If you want to book the most special of treats I couldn't recommend this venue any more highly. We will be back time and time again and it will be a very long time (if ever) that it drops off our list of top 3 UK venues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Thank you so much for your great review. I have given Tom and Greg a bottle of wine as a thank you for being mentioned on the worldwide web! I know that they enjoyed looking after you and they join me in hoping you will come back to us soon.

Of course, we have updated your guest history profile, but do ask for Greg on your next booking so he can continue to look after you.

Once again, thank you very much for the great review.

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for 2 nights in the miss potter suite for our honeymoon. Having eaten here the year before this was our first time staying here. The suite was amazing with gorgeous views and a hot tub on the terrace which was great fun to relax in. The food was excellent at dinner and at breakfast with excellent service to match. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We are returning in February for a couple of nights as we are expecting our second child in June so two nights of luxury will be deserved before the sleepless nights start again!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Benjamin1267
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a complementary review. My teasm and I are looking forward to your next visit to make sure that it is special - just before your new arrival!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have just returned from another stay at the Holbeck Ghyll (16th & 17th December). It is our 6th in 6 years. The un-stuffiness of this high calibre hotel is one of its many strong points.

From the afternoon tea to the full Michelin star experience in the dining room the service was exemplary. This was carried by the effervescent restaurant manager Tom. He has the ability to read customers and their wishes. Even though there were a few new faces in the restaurant and bar area the service was the same – top notch.

The food has always been excellent here. And again we were not disappointed. Apparently the head chef was off when we visited and you could not tell. There is obviously strength in depth. The food seemed to have a lighter touch than before (not a criticism) and the variety. I have never had squab cooked liked that before.

The breakfast, something that can be easily overlooked was very good. The eggs benedict were fantastic.

The bedroom we had (room 1) was spacious and had a balcony with great views, especially when it rained the previous day and woke the next morning to snow-capped mountains in the distance. Cleanliness was very good. The only snag was the bathroom, and this needs an update. Not in keeping with the rest of the room.

The Spa has been decorated since last year. As you sit awaiting your treatment the views over the mountains (whatever the weather!), certainly gets you in the relaxing mood for the treatments to come. The therapists certainly know their trade.

We look forward to visiting again next year – don’t let the standards drop!!

Room Tip: View of the Lakes and Mountains - worth the extra
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MBB040
Thank you for your honest comments. I have patted Tom on the back for getting a mention and I note your comment regarding the bathroom of Room One. Please be assured that it is on my list! I hope it is done before you return.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to complete the review and giving us such good scores.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Home Counties
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Excellent small hotel. Why can't all hotels be like this? Attention to detail is exemplary, food is a culinary delight, service is second to none, and views are some of the best in England (if not the World). Shall we return? You bet we shall!! (In March 2013 actually and take others with us to experience this delightful piece of England.) Go check it out yourself – you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms 2 and 3 in the original house have amazing views of the lake and hills (and you just have to w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
What a great review - we do try to recreate a bit of history - not too stuffy but at least a time when there was a little more deference around! Any how, thank you for your great review and myself and my team look forward to welcoming you back in March.